work related issues....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spazmonkey, Jun 20, 2003.

1. spazmonkey

spazmonkey New Member

i might be paranoid but i dont know how to handle this. My boss just made a comment to me regarding my memory and that I should do something about it, he says "my god i'm old so i have an excuse, your only 25!"
    Now, im a graphic designer and this is the first job that i dont get too stressed out about, but i do have alot of little things to remember (it would be hard for a normal person to remember).
    Is there something i should do...im afraid that one day they can fire me for this even if I can perform my job.
    I mean, should i tell my boss what is going on with my memory or should i just shrug it off...
    Sometime I feel like if I tell someone, they're jsut like whatta hypochondriac!

Please help!
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I have a job too and need to remember a lot of little things too. I WILL NEVER use FMS as an excuse. You are there to do a job and it doesn't matter why you don't remember things - it is up to you to work this out yourself. I apologize if I seem harsh - it's just that basically, they won't care WHY you don't remember things - they just want you to do your job properly. So - I make notes. I either put little post-it notes on my computer screen and/or have a piece of paper that says "Information" on it, and as I need to I jot things down. Eventually I remember the things I need to do most often. The things I need to remember occasionally I still look up. If you ever are let go, it won't be because you have FMS, it'll be because you didn't perform your job properly. Again, please don't think I'm being harsh - I believe I'm just being realistic. I hope this helps you. Just write things down and try not to stress out too much - that'll make things worse. GOOD LUCK!!!!
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

with Disabilities Act? The law is there to protect you and to try and help people with disabilities to keep their jobs and continue working. FMS is not an excuse, it is a disability. Also, every state has a Department of Vocational Services, they also help you with ideas and things you can do to help you stay in the job that you have. Everybody has their own different opinions on this, but if it is affecting your job performance, then this is worth looking into.

Dara
  4. spazmonkey

spazmonkey New Member

well, i dont really feel like im disabled. I can perform the basic functions of my job, and i believe pretty well. Its just that i have problems multi-tasking. My job requires me to pay close attention to detail, which i have a hard time with...but there are so many checks and balances, that the job gets done.

But since i don't claim disability, am i still under the guidelines of the disability act since i have fibro? and would i have to let my employer know???

im just questioning this for future reference, if im ever put under probation or anything...

I completely agree, that i dont use my fibro as an excuse, i mostly act like im not sick. But i feel it inside some days and im just not myself to others....
  5. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

In 2 of the 3 jobs I've had since I got sick, I've taken copious notes about how to do things (then typed them up neatly for quick/easy reference). Whenever I had to ask a question, I'd add the info to the notes.

There were days/times I didn't have to look at the notes, but also many days/times I did. (I started doing it because I used to be a quick study and hate asking simple questions a gazillion times.)

The third job didn't require notes.

I think ADA applies anyway, but maybe someone who knows more will answer that. :)