Work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roseylisa, May 1, 2006.

1. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

How many of you that work, would still work if you didn't have to?
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I work only 28 hours a week. I just asked my assistant if she would like to work more so that I could work less. Basically, I'm working for the insurance benefits. My dh has his own contracting business and my salary mostly goes towards household expenses.

There are some days when I just feel like I never, ever want to work again - some days I hate my job; lately more than ever. That may have something to do with the meds I'm on, though not sure which ones. It seems like lately I am very hateful, though I try to hold it in and be nice to everyone.

Any suggestions on what would be causing me to feel this way? Sorry, got off track there.
  3. maggie_d

maggie_d New Member

I would love to be able to work part-time. Right now I am full time and need to be. Funny, I had a talk with hubby on the weekend about this very topic and some day soon part time will be a reality.

Take care,
    maggie
  4. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

I work full time right now, and if I didn't have to work, I'd probably work part time. I have gone on short term disability for 1 yr and have taken a medical leave of absence from my current job.

Having a job helps motivate me to get out of bed on my bad days, makes me feel like I'm doing something useful with my life, so emtionally, I feel better when I'm working. I'm sure it has to do with my personality type as well, I'm competive and have always worked and advanced in my career and it helps to keep me emotionally satisfied.

The year I didn't work, it was good for me since I was dealing with being newly diagnosed and it was really hard for me to accept. I needed the time to sort things out. When I was starting to feel better physcially, I realized that not working had made me very isolated, and I need the interaction and socialization that having a job gave me.
  5. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Sometimes the pain and exhaustion are so bad that I think I would like to stop working.

But I am fortunate to have a good job with good benefits.

Most of the time I enjoy working, but have made some accomodations. I delegate now more than I used to and I take more time off and use flex time.

What I like best about working (other than benefits and money!) is that it can distract me from my pain. I am afraid the pain would simply consume me if I didn't have other outside interests and a job.

Sometimes I feel like I'm battling something all the time.
    I know lots of others probably feel that way, too.
  6. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

but I have about 27 more months to go. 25 yrs full retirement at 49..not bad, not bad at all.

I would still keep active and do my volunteer work, it just that my job is extremely stressful & physical and I know I would do a lot better if I retired. Jackie
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

I work 1-1 and a half days a week and it throws me into a flare everytime. I would quit completely in a second if I could afford to.

Kriket
  8. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I work as a manager of a flea market and consignment emporium. We are open FRI. SAT. SUN.
    I also have my own shop there. I sell tee shirts
    that I apply the designs to with a heat press.
    Also sell a lot of leather goods and gift items.
    I also do the cleaning for the market.

Some times it almost gets the best of me, but
    I really enjoy meeting new people and also have
    made a lot of friends that keep coming back.

The owners are really wonderful, and very good to me.
    They let me pretty much do things the way Iwant to.

On my worst days I can just sit around and do only what I have to. I have to work but I think I would still
    be there even if I didn't have to.
    'cathugs' Ruth
  9. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i work four 8hr evening shifts each week. if i could afford to and i could get insurance some other way i would cut my hours down more, or quit all together. i love my job, but it's just to much at times. i'm always tired but then i can't sleep.
    rachel