Working A Full Time Job With FM…

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FibroPainSufferer, Apr 30, 2007.

1. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I work 40 hours a week, sometimes more. This week is our busiest time so it’s possible that I could work anywhere from 8-12 hours a day.

It seems that each day it’s getting harder & harder to get out of bed, make breakfast, shower, dress, do hair, make-up, etc...& be there on time at 8:00am.

I now have a bigger problem though & I’m wondering if this is because of the Fibro & if anyone else has experienced it. Around late morning, early afternoon...my head starts to hurt, I get dizzy and I’m having problems looking at my computer screen. The lighting in my office hurts my head & eyes so all I want to do is put my head down & close my eyes. Today, while sitting at my desk, it sounded like everyone was talking 10 times louder & this only made my head feel worse! I’ve been making mistakes at work & this is not the norm for me. I was able to leave on time today at 4:30 and by 5:30 I started to feel better. It seems that the dizziness, pain in my head & problems seeing are only happening while I’m in work.

Does anyone have or had similar problems? And is this probably Fibro related?

Thank you & I hope you are all feeling well!!!
  2. Engel

Engel New Member

and now I am on STD ... I couldn't take it anymore. Yes I have fibro, DDD & OA ... just could not take the pain anymore. I had the same issues you list.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/30/2007]
  3. FibroPainSufferer

I feel better knowing that this is probably Fibro related, I figured it was. I have so many problems trying to work!!! It hurts when I have to file...once I get down on the floor to that bottom cabinet, I have problems getting back up. And the up & down of filing is bad on me too. Also, after sitting for a ½ hour or so, when I go to stand up all my muscles have tightened up & I limp around until I can get them to loosen up some. And of course there's the pain throughout my body!

Now, I’m getting headaches, dizziness, trouble seeing, etc...just when I think it can’t get any worse, it does!!! I don’t know what to do???
  4. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I'm also working a full time job and trying to raise my daughter. To say the least it's been a struggle.

One thing I thought of is make sure your drinking enough water throughout the day. Do you have any problems with your blood pressure?

Are you eating a heavy lunch?

I'm trying very hard to eat better and I do see a big difference when I'm not eating well.

Also definately try and give yourself breaks during your day, even to get up and stretch.

Hope you feel better soon, take care Rita
  5. FibroPainSufferer

I do drink water but I could drink more. I like my Diet Pepsi too much :) I don’t have high blood pressure & my lunch is either one of those little soups in hand or a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

I don’t eat well & it’s gotten worse since I was diagnosed. I usually just grab anything because I’m too tired to cook.

I’m going to try your recommendations because I can’t tolerate the way I’m feeling!!!

Thank you so very much Rita!!!
  6. Engel

Engel New Member

and with or without food I had the same symptoms. I was also DXd with sleep apnea, OA, DDD (degen disc), besides the FMS when I just couldn't take the pain and other problems any longer. Had bloodwork done ... It is just this dern disease. Does your neck hurt? I was in agony and found out C5, 6 & 7 show DDD. That is causing a lot of my problems with sitting at a desk. You may want to suggest to DR to have your neck checked. Take care :)
  7. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Yes i believe that it is fibro related also, light, smell and hearing can be affected as it does with me.
    I too have probs with noise and smell adn I too had a fulltime job and had to give it away, am a old stay at home mum now and loving it but very fortunate that my husband is supporting me but for you young things I dont know what i would do.....

love n light to you all
    Connie

8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I'm wondering if maybe you are having a combination of low blood sugar and FMS? I used to have problems with low blood sugar and it would make me feel dizzy and weak. You might carry protein snacks with you to see if that helps.

Is there any way you can cut back your hours at work? I haven't read your bio to see if you are married or single. I used to work full-time, but it just got to be too much for me. I was able to cut my hours in half and I have my summers off. I am a secretary at a small, private college. I really feel for those of you who must work full-time. I remember how much of a struggle it was for me. The worst for me was my fatigue.

Also, the lights and noise at your job may be affecting you. You said you feel better after you leave work. I am bothered by light, but for me it is more sunlight and outdoor lights. Light and noise sensitivity are one of the many symptoms of FMS. I am also sensitive to noise.

Ellen
  9. dreamer28455

dreamer28455 New Member

Hey fibropainsufferer...i work about 35 hours a week. I basically am only working to keep insurance...but sometimes I cant even pull the 35. I saw in your profile you live in pa? Where at? I am near Pottstown do you know where that is? my boyfriend lives in delaware county. Working a full time job sucks!! Are you on any meds to get you through the day? I've recently been put on vicoprofen and it is helping me a little.

<3 Rachel
  10. SweetT

SweetT New Member

In fact, I've posted on this subject many times. The voices are magnified (I cannot take loud coworker socializing), the lights hurt my eyes, and the repetitive movement makes me sore. Than unbearable sleepiness comes around 3:00pm which shouldn't be a problem as I leave at 3:30pm to 3:45pm, but there's staying awake while driving home that's the challenge.

I do have a glare cover for my computer.

By the time I get home, I need quiet and darkness.

Now I've added graduate school (online)to the mix. But I can control my study environment. I have a booklamp.
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I'm wondering if you aren't experiencing a form of migraine. You might check into that. It could be induced by your work environment.

If you are in your own office and not just in a cubicle you might try working with the lights off. Try just a reading light on your desk if you need it. I have windows so when I need to I turn off the lights and just use natural light, that is really best if it will work for you.

You might also be surprised how much noise those flouresant (sp) lights make!

You also need to make sure you rest your eyes. Not just take them from the screen and do something else, but actually rest them for a few minutes.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Choose Joy!
  12. FibroPainSufferer

Yesterday, I had an okay day but then this morning it started again. Ugh!!! I’ve been trying to eat better & I’m drink a lot more water. Joy, mentioned migraines and a lot of people in my office either get migraines or bad headaches. One girl who sits right next to me had to go through a ton of tests because she was getting a headache everyday. They couldn’t find anything wrong with her so she’s now on a preventative medicine for them.

I really do appreciate all the great advice!!! I see my doctor on the 10th so I’m going to talk to him about it. Also, today was the last day of our close so I’ve been thinking about calling out of work tomorrow & just getting some much needed rest but I always feel guilty planning a sick day. I don’t know what to do...the thought of not dealing with the stress of work for one day just sounds so good to me right now!!!

Thank you again!!! By the way, I got out of work today at 5:00 & I already feel better???