Working from home

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angeliz1951, Nov 18, 2002.

1. angeliz1951

angeliz1951 New Member

Hello,
    I just wondered if anyone has tried working from home and if they found any legitimate jobs out there. It seems like I do okay going to my job for about a week and then I spend two or three days in terrible pain or so fatigued I can barely stay awake and I have to take days off unpaid. Thank God for FMLA and ADA or I'd be out of a job....period. I use a computer and type alot...this Fibro has affected my ability to type as fast as I once did, I type the wrong word when my brain tells me the correct one... eg: I type "with" when my intention and thought tells me to type "will". It's a constant battle and double checking everything for mistakes. Unbelievably stressful. I also have a lot of neck and shoulder pain and the computer work probably doesn't help that. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I'm the only one in the family working now. My husband lost his job through corporate downsizing over a year ago. He has been unable to find another. He tries for anything and he's "over-qualified" and they won't consider him for the menial jobs. Our savings are rapidly running out and I don't know how long I'll be able to keep up. It's such a frustrating stressful situation that at times I just feel so inadequate.
    It's the going out that gets to me, especially now that the cold weather has set in and it's not even really cold yet. I do better when I stay in where it's warm. I don't always feel so bad I can't function but when I overdo it stops me cold. It's not just going out to get to work...it's going to the store or anywhere. I realize I can't totally withdraw from society but I'd like to be able to work when I can and rest when I can't.
    Any words of wisdom?
  2. angeliz1951

angeliz1951 New Member

Hello,
    I just wondered if anyone has tried working from home and if they found any legitimate jobs out there. It seems like I do okay going to my job for about a week and then I spend two or three days in terrible pain or so fatigued I can barely stay awake and I have to take days off unpaid. Thank God for FMLA and ADA or I'd be out of a job....period. I use a computer and type alot...this Fibro has affected my ability to type as fast as I once did, I type the wrong word when my brain tells me the correct one... eg: I type "with" when my intention and thought tells me to type "will". It's a constant battle and double checking everything for mistakes. Unbelievably stressful. I also have a lot of neck and shoulder pain and the computer work probably doesn't help that. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I'm the only one in the family working now. My husband lost his job through corporate downsizing over a year ago. He has been unable to find another. He tries for anything and he's "over-qualified" and they won't consider him for the menial jobs. Our savings are rapidly running out and I don't know how long I'll be able to keep up. It's such a frustrating stressful situation that at times I just feel so inadequate.
    It's the going out that gets to me, especially now that the cold weather has set in and it's not even really cold yet. I do better when I stay in where it's warm. I don't always feel so bad I can't function but when I overdo it stops me cold. It's not just going out to get to work...it's going to the store or anywhere. I realize I can't totally withdraw from society but I'd like to be able to work when I can and rest when I can't.
    Any words of wisdom?
  3. BonBons

BonBons New Member

I don't really have words of wisdom, but I know there are a lot of at-home opportunities out there; think the key is finding one that works for you. Have you thought of asking your employers if you could telecommute one or two days? I know for me, (not working now) even the drive in and dressing became a problem. And yes, I would fuzz out and answer things with the wrong answer, or type the wrong word. I know some people who do work successfully from home, but one writes advertisements and another types script, I think, for the deaf. Might be worth your time (when you aren't exhausted) to look into that type of thing. It was so cold here today it broke a 50 year record and I had a bad migraine and everything, everything hurts like crazy today. So I've whined about moving here to Florida from California, but today realized the cold damp fog there really was making me worse. Sorry to be so long - I looked at pictures of me at work when I was so exhausted and I looked like a ghost...Take care of yourself, and don't get laid off, like I did. Be proactive so you preserve your income and benefits, or go part-time before you burn yourself out. Peace, blessings and inspiration when you most need it...BonBons
  4. Joannie

Joannie New Member

I wish I could help you. I know what your going through and wish I could find something to do at home also. It is hard to trust in some of these things though that they advertise. I know that some Doctors' pay for outside dictations and if you are a good typer maybe you could look into something like that.
    I wish you luck and truly can relate with the hardships due to working and just living period. I hope you find something. And know your not alone with your struggles.
    good luck,
    Joannie
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

that's the only way I can work. Luckily I found a job several years ago where I do educational writing for a website and a magazine. I used to be a teacher but there is no way I can work with little children the way I feel now. The flexibility of a home based job lets me lie down if I feel really bad and I can take breaks from the computer. I basically telecompute my work to Boston and I live in Florida.
    Angeliz1951--is there a way you can take some work home--maybe you could work part time in the office and the rest at home. I sometime get ads about home work but I'm not sure if they are legitimate. Maybe someone else on the board knows of home employment agencies? I'm bumping this post up for you.

BTW BomBom I live in Southeast Florida too in Ft Lauderdale and I'm aching so much from the 50 degree cold we had the last couple of days. There isn't a muscle on me that isn't achining.
    Tania
  6. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

Angeliz1951,

I just got clearance from my employer to telecommute two days out of the week. After years in the broadcasting industry, I needed a low stress job. I now write copy for an internet advertising company.

Also, I agree with Taina. I live in Southwest Florida, and it rained all weekend, and now temperatures are in the mid 50s. I am orginally from Northern Florida, and we get SNOW every couple of years there...so I don't know if moving to Florida would help much.