Working from home?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunshyne1027, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

After some thought, I decided to not go back out into the work force. Can't hack it right now, working out there.

I am going to try and work from home, or start my own business from home. I have skills in alot of things. Desktop Publishing, Administrative Assistant. I also do photo restorations, typing.. things like that. I don'have medical transcription skills, so not going to even try that. I know some friends that do that from home.

Anyone else here work from home? Any tips or advice?
  2. RedB

RedB New Member

Do you friends who do transcription still have lives? Or does the transcription thing sort of tie them to their homes? I have a friend who works at this way more than I would be able to.

I've thought about taking an online course to do this, but I'm wondering if there are employers out there where you can NOT work if you have places to go, or days where working just doesn't work with the DX that I have.

Do you have any idea if your friends can pick and choose the days they work? Do they get weekends off?

Kathy
  3. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

I really need a job and know I can't work outside the home.I don't have the experience for many things either.I know you can go to school for medical transcription,but sometimes you have to get a start out at work and then maybe do it at home.If anyone has any ideas please email me-my email is in my profile.I wish you luck finding something for yourself-that is great you have some experience to get a start with something. Lana56
  4. insomniac1

insomniac1 New Member

Hi there i have taken a corrospondence course for medical coding/billing. i have one more exam to go. the work is easy if you apply yourself and really study. you have to have self control to do this i am this kind of person. any ways i just started a job 2 weeks ago at an orthopedic surgeons office there are 5 ortho docs and one pain management doc. after 3 months i will be able to do most of the work from home. they are training me in there ways to do things and want to make sure i can do it first after i will be doing it from home. i will however have to go in the office 1 day a week for about 4 hours. it is hard now but i am just praying i make it thru the days. i come strait home and sleep till its time to go the next day. there are alot of things you can do from home. so just look around . i dont have fast typing skills so i didnt go for transcription. good luck kris
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I went from a career in law enforcement to designing websites at home. I started in '97 and now have around 170 clients from all over the world, but mostly here in the US. I don't have any advice though....it's a tough row to hoe!

Marilyn :)
  6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

With the medical transcription not sure either. I will ask. I think you would have to be able to meet schedules though.

I allready got the schooling, skills,its just finding a job now working from home. Thought too of starting my own business. Did some searches on virtual assistants, found some info. There are alot of scams out there too, so being careful!

Yeah, so I've heard its a tough row to hoe.. LOL. So is Fibro.
  7. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

contact your local Small Business Administration. They may be able to help you with ideas.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can usually work the number of hours you want, but they usually want experience at agencies.

Love, Mikie
  9. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

ask around cause I had a friend who was doing this for a doc and the doc is now talking into a computer thing and it does everything for him so her job was elimated. Modern technology is taking over I guess.
    Carlacat
  10. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I worked for a temp agency last year part time and it worked out great. Right now though, don't think it would work out much at all.

Ahh, the great catch-all! Got skills, want to use them, yet don't have much experience. Besides, the job market really is Shi!!y. Things will happen, keeping the hope!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

11. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

You said that you can type. Depending on how fast and how long you can type before your hands bother you . . .

How about advertising around a college campus to type for Master's level or PhD level students, who have to write their Thesus. Say you can go over to them and work for 2-3 hours, X days a week. They can dictate their thoughts outloud while you type them. Or check with the Disability Dept on campus, see if they need someone to accompany someone with a disability to class to take notes for them and then type them up, etc. (someone who is blind or can't use hands well, etc.)

They reason I mention this is because I have a friend who is getting his PhD is School Psychology. He is handicapped and can't use his hands well. So I go over to his house 1-2X a week and he dictates his readings and papers to me and I charge $8/hr. Because of the Americans With Disabilities Act, he gets a certain amount of money along with a laptop to assist him with classes.

OR if you like animals,

Offer to animal sit, charging $15 a day, for 2 feedings, 1 walk/play session. (bring in the paper, water plants, etc.) Make up a business card, a tri-fold flyer and advertise word of mouth to start, neighbors, friends, etc. Whatever you do, just believe in yourself.

All The Best, ........... Jill
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2003]
  12. wendy4785

wendy4785 New Member

I've been a telecommuter for more than 5 yrs now. Email me privately and maybe I can help you.

Wendy
    wendy4785@aol.com
  13. Takesha

Takesha New Member

I have been trying to add it all day and get sidetracked. Geez. I am sort of in the same boat. I was working on my associates degree so I could get my bachelors in Social Work. I am just not going to make it that far. So I am going to take Photoshop, and another course in Powerpoint and do some stuff from home. My sweetie teaches some at the local college(mostly just guest speaker) and I do powerpoint presentations for his history presentations. Also (and I am giving away my own thoughts here) I am thinking about checking out the local Insurance companies and see if they need anyone to take pictures of peoples vauluable ( tv's, vcr's etc) for documentation on rental insurance etc. Then I can download them with the serial numbers on a cd. Something like that anyway.
    For Medical transcription you have to have medical terminology and anatomy. I have both, but can't type for more than an hour. I have the dragon program (voice recognition) and it's the one someone mentioned before that all the doctors are starting to use. I think most hospitals still use us humans and after you train at the hospital they send you home to work.
    Do you have a disability that is documented? If so, check to see if you have a Department of Vocational Rehab in your area. They are great (at least in NM). I am a client of thiers and they were going to pay my schooling for my bachelors and since I can't do that they are helping in other ways. Well, I hope you get something from all this ranting I've been doing. Hugs
    Takesha
  14. crazy_cat

crazy_cat New Member

I have been trying to start my own web design business from home. I have completed a few sites which makes me feel really good! I am hoping my business will pick up soon. We really need the money. I have everything I need, computers, servers to host with, tons of graphic software and coding software and lots of experience.

A lot of places are looking for people to do the job but not be a long term employee. There is always a need for typing/data input. I wish you all the best. Make a flyer/intro package about yourself, what services you can do and break out the phone book. Mail it to anyone that you feel could use your services. If you are able to get out, go visit the larger companies. Maybe someone can drive you so you won't be so exhausted from the pain of driving.
  15. crazy_cat

crazy_cat New Member