working on disability?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by majic, Aug 26, 2002.

1. majic

majic New Member

a friend of mine is really excited to find out that she can work while on disability.then the question came up. that if you work on disabilityand make the amount that you can do they stop your disability since if you work you are not disabled ? any input. has this happen to anyone out there? majic
  2. majic

majic New Member

a friend of mine is really excited to find out that she can work while on disability.then the question came up. that if you work on disabilityand make the amount that you can do they stop your disability since if you work you are not disabled ? any input. has this happen to anyone out there? majic
  3. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

I'm going thru filling out the disability forms now. They sent a little booklet along with the forms and I'll quote a part of it for you... "your benefits will stop if you work at a level we consider "substantial." Usually, average earnings of $870.00 or more a month are considered substantial."

They also state in the book that there are a number of special rules that provide cash benefits and Medicare while you attempt to work. Your friend should request SSA Publication No. 05-10029 Social Security Disability Benefits. Toll free number is 1-800-772-1213.

The above amout I referenced was originally $700.00, but someone at SSA crossed that out and wrote it $870.00. I'm in the state of FL. I don't know if the amount varies from state to state.

Good luck,

Regina
  4. Coping

Coping New Member

I believe you can work on SSDI and earn up to $750.00 per month. If you are on SSA, I don't think you can earn anything.
    You can check it out at www.ssa.gov. It is a very informative site.
    Regards,
    Tricia
  5. Deana

Deana Guest

Im in Kansas I am thinking I read up tp $500.00 per month but I may be wrong.
    Deana
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

The amount you are allowed to earn is $780. Perhaps the person accidentally flipped the numbers. Maybe it is really one if us! I do that all the itme.

Barbara
  7. majic

majic New Member

now to the second part of the question. how long can you work before the social security board cuts off your disability? if you can work and make money then you are not disabled.does this make sense. know of four peolpe that this has happen to. so be aware that any time you give out your social security number to anyone it shows up at social security. they even have a system that alerts social security of workers who are working and on disability. this hurts the ones who need it. the reason it is in place is for all the fraud that is out there. our lovely goverment. this comes from an employee on the inside of social security disability office. be aware of the goverment! majic
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

as long as you don't earn more than the magic number. They also have a trial work program where you can work at a regular job for up to 9(?) months without losing benefits. I think your friend should contact SSA for the details. They won't bite and the questions are legit and reasonable so they shouldn't trigger a red flag.

Barbara
  9. G

G New Member

you are recieving disability you can earn so much. I have also heard of others appling for disability and going back to work because they need the income and were turned down. Also have heard if you can work any amount of time you are then no longer considered disabled. So I say to Canadians to check with the office that you recieve your disability and inquire about any new or old laws regarding working any amount of time before doing so.

G
  10. tjblueeyes

tjblueeyes New Member

It seems pretty hypocritical to me, too. I applied for disability in Feb. I finally got a reply last Saturday with a denial. I contacted an attorney today to find out about appealing. Since my doctor wasn't real supportive, she said I probably wouldn't win my case. But, even if I got an attorney to help me, it could take another 9 months to get a hearing. I don't understand how they expect people to live. I can barely get out of bed 3-4 days, usually consecutively, and they said I can work part time and do substantial work. What employer will keep someone who calls in sick every week? Anyway, the amount you can make is $740 in Colorado. Who can live on even that? And I am accumulating back child support every month I don't work. I deliver flowers part time on my good days, but I only make $100 month (under the table) I can get a job, but not keep it.