Working on long acting pain meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kingd2, Feb 5, 2009.

1. kingd2

kingd2 New Member

Is anyone able to work taking the long acting pain meds like MSCotin, oxycotin , methadone, etc.? I am currently on a short acting med which does not effect my ablity to drive and work as far as my performance goes (the pain does effect my performance).My pain has gotten to the level where I have no quality of life.The medicine just does not work as well anymore, and I was recently diagnosed with IC which is a nightmare, and a whole new level of awful pain. I go to work and come home to the bed every night , and rest all weekend. I can't keep this up at this pain level, but my family must have my income.Thank for any inpute.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have had ZERO problems with working while taking the longer acting meds. If you are used to taking meds in general, you most likely won't have a problem, but to be sure, I'd definitely start them on a weekend when you can be home.

I understand about having to work -and it's darn hard to work when you're in pain, then have to have any sort of life outside of work.
    The long acting meds made a HUGE difference for me in general. My pain is not always even controlled by my meds, but it has reduced my pain and the long acting ones help considerably with the peaks and valleys of the short acting.
  3. simonedb

simonedb Member

i have wondered about ic, how did you get it dx? i was convinced a couple years ago i had it after a very long awful headache but then it became intemittent so not so sure anymore.
    but also, can relate on the pain med situation, i have also wondered about taking longer acting. i have seen people function seemingly normally on methadone.
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I don't have a job, but I still don't want to take meds that will make me unable to drive or think clearly.

Last wk, I started Methadone. I've been on Hydrocodone, short acting, for over 2 yrs and I kept having to increase the dosage and I hated the ups and downs that I felt w it in between doses.

I was amazed at how good I felt the very first time I took the Methadone. No more crashing and counting the minutes until my next dose. I still have Norco for breakthru pain, but not very often. I'm only on 10mg Methadone, Dr prescribed 20mg but I decided to start out w smaller doses. I break it in two and take am and pm. You can take it once a day tho, it takes several days before levels of the med stabilize and are stored in the body. After that, you will have 24 hr coverage from one dose a day.

I am very careful about what I take because I always get hit w all the side effects. I think the Methadone might be making me a little sleepy, not too bad tho. My mind is clearer than it was on my max dose of Norco.

Good luck, I'm feeling very fortunate that this med is working for me so far. I had become so dependent on Norco and some of my pain was due to mini withdrawals in between doses, I didn't realize that until I started on the Meth and my legs weren't throbbing any longer. Yeah.....
  5. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I'm so sorry your having such a tough time right now. I work too and I know some days when I leave the office my whole body is tense - even my face muscles hurt and my jaws. On those days, I go into "my room" and close the door. I live with my boyfriend and we have a golden retriever. I say hello to them and go into my room to relax. (My boyfriend has his "man cave" too... That's what he calls it. Hilarious!) When I've relaxed the day out of my body, then I return to interact with everyone.

I also have to take hydrocodone throughout the day. I still break them in half to make sure it doesn't effect my driving/working ability.

Hang in there... You're not alone.

6. simonedb

simonedb Member

does it constipate you on a lower dose? that is one thing I cannot stand on meds and don't stay on ones that do that for long, i understand sometimes it can't be avoided but having digestion etc working right seems such an integral part of good health.
  7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

So far I haven't had any problems w constipation at 10-15mg per day. I would get "stopped up" for a few days w the high doses of Norco I was taking.

My dr was telling me that the colon and rectum can get really messed up if this goes on for too long, the tissues get weak and lose the ability to contract and move the BMs thru. Can become a permanent problem, not good.
  8. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

I to have to work Full Time and am thinking of the same thing.. My Doc is wanting me to try the longer acting pain meds also.. I have been on Perc for last 3 yrs.. now taking the 7.50/325
    and they just don't work that great anymore.. they only last about 2 hrs to 3 hrs.
    Work Is about all I can do .. I feel I'm working myself into and early death bed. Sounds bad I do we know when its time to go on Disability ? how long and far do we push ourself ?

I work a split shift from home. sounds easy .. just log into the computer and phone .. but its very stressful , its about all I can do for the day . I havent cleaned my house good in so long. I have so many things I need to do .. but never have the energy to do them .

We need my pay check , so I don;t know .

Ok I'm just rambling now.