Working with Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Simoriah, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Simoriah

Simoriah New Member

I was wondering how those of you who are working handle the symptoms of FMS? I try to work, but when I flare I end up missing a lot of work, and have, not surprisingly, have had several jobs in the past few years. I want to work, and we need two incomes, but it seems that just when the meds get the pain under control, something changes - the weather, new symptoms, etc - and I have to start all over again. It seems that anymore, even driving to work is painful. Any suggestions would be helpful as I really want to go back to work before I go stir crazy!!

2. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

it seems that we all have different pain levels. Only you know how much you can or can't work. Maybe you can try a home based business, or a part time job. I just reduced my
    hours to 32 per week and 8 of those I work at home. When I am supposed to go to work and my pain levels are high, I go anyway and come home and crash. I try not to miss too much work, because I want to keep my job. I don't know how bad it gets for you, maybe my worst pain is your best day. only you can decide what is best for you.
    Wishing you the best, Nanna
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

When I had a mild case of fibro, I was able to work

But then the FMS got really bad, and CFS set in and I had to quit

I really need (financially) to get back to work, but unless they find a miracle cure, I don't see that happening
  4. bubblesgirl

bubblesgirl New Member

Hi
    This is the first time I have entered the message board and am heartened to see my own problems are being voiced by other people. How to work with Fibro?
    I have had the condition for several years now and at times believe I am going silently mad. My mind scrambles and fights to remember small amounts of information,mainly around time and dates etc.Especially if I have been given options by others. As most of my working time is spent arranging appointments to meet with people, this can become very embarrassing. I have a boss who is very supportive, but also needs to have the work completed, he has to balance my condition against his ever growing list of outstanding work and sometimes I can't respond to his needs. So when I can, I try to work harder to show that the fibro isn't affecting me and then of course it does because I have pushed to hard. I have also had time off work,but felt a fraud as I wasn't ill, just couldn't drive owing to the pain and tiredness.So what is the answer?
    I believe that I have to control my own schedule. I am not ill, but at times can't cope with the pain and the tiredness, so I am advocating that I work at home on certain days and as I appear to be more alert during the night as I am now, I can complete my paper work during this time. I think it is up to us to explain and teach our bosses that we are not malingerer's, but hard working and conscientious people who still have a lot to give but in a different way to others.
    I don't know what type of work you do, but perhaps that is where you start, determine whether it fits in with your needs. There is no point trying to undertake work that creates further difficulties;having said that I don't think any job can be stress free, it's how we cope with it that matters most. I know I could not do anything that is over strenuous or physical all day long.
    Be positive and open with your employer and if he /she cannot see the benefit of what you are offering perhaps it's time to move on.
  5. fificat

fificat New Member

it's really hard to work through the flares but I too need two incomes coming in..I also cut my hours back to 32 a week and when I get home I put my daughter down for a nap and down I go so that makes it a little better. I've also found that if I look at the fact that no matter how bad the pain is today I will not remember it tomorrow. That helps..sometimes, when I'm not crying from the pain ...but I'm not like alot of FMers most of my pain is at night so that also helps me... Hey I have a idea for you in the back of bay magazines there are ads for envolope stuffers. You can pick up a copy of Parenting and call the ad. My sister in law does it and makes ok money. You get paid by the envolope that you mail. but its something that you could do while you are relaxing at home and all the ads are varified by Parenting Magazine so you can call them to see if they have had any complaint about the company. Just an idea.. Or you could cut your hours at work and do that on the side to make up the difference...

Sharlie
  6. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I work full time but my job allows me to be flexible. Getting off for doctors appointments is not a problem or if I need to adjust my hours because of a flare.

I think working helps take my mind off my pain sometimes so that is good. Yes sometimes nothing will distract from the pain. It just depends on the pain level at that moment.

I need the income from my job and the benefits. I am an administrator in a local government office. The down side is that I am starting to have cognitive problems and I have to be able to communicate and think to do my job.

My job depends on the election cycles, even numbered years are much harder. I was not diagnosed until this year. I had issues with fatigue before but not terrible pain. Now I have both.

I worry about job performance, I want to succeed and excel in my job. My position is appointed. I have a 5 member board that makes the appointment. They are all very nice people, but I haven't told them about my FMS and other health problems.

Sorry to write so much, its just been on my mind lately.
  7. Simoriah

Simoriah New Member

Thanks for all your input. I have thought of trying to work from home, but it seems to be more a dream than a possibility. I have thought about writing, as that is something I truly enjoy, and have made a few attempts at submitting articles to magazines (one on fibromyalgia). Maybe this will be something I can provide some income for my family with. It would really be great to see something of mine in print! :)

8. Clayartist

Clayartist New Member

I help my live-in partner sell things on Ebay. Its low stress and low impact. I also teach ceramics a few hours each week.
    Sitting down.
    He applys this Recovazon cream to areas that hurt, and that does help with the pain.
    Its hard to make big money with Ebay, but once you get rolling with it, you can get by.