Working With Fibromyalgia/Job issues

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kch64, Nov 1, 2010.

1. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi. I've been here before but it's been awhile. I was wondering if any of you had lost your job or had problems on the job because of absences with Fibromyalgia? I'm under FMLA for intermittent use. I called in sick 2 days, but I can tell my boss isn't happy about it.

Just need some support from those who understand the fatigue, pain, dizziness, nausea.

2. simonedb

simonedb Member

yes I find it awkward to balance work and health, went down in hours 11 years ago and my workplace for most part feels need to be accomodating and it helps not full time but its a stress and guilt that I dont do more but the way I look at it, if we don't set our boundaries and take care of ourself no one else will and you can't help what you can't help, its just the cards dealt.
    supposedly with disability act they are not supposed to discriminate based on illness.
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Oh yeah...and my whole work group heard it. I got let go, but I was sleeping during lunch. That was OK, but my memory got worse, if I didn't write things down, it didn't happen :(

I started getting chilled real bad: 95.7°F ! My thyroid was shutting down. The GP was clueless. If you want an "out of body experience" try some of these miraculous anti-depressants. The side effects are hell.

Life is much better now at 98.6°F +/- 0.5°F. I'm going to a fatigue doc and slowly getting better. I'd love to get back to work and not ever get a speech again from my relatives about being LAZY.

4. kch64

kch64 New Member

Wow, that was a terribly unprofessional way to do things. I'm sorry for your misery, but glad you are feeling better now.

You're not lazy, just dead tired. I know how it is. Did you get your thyroid in order? I take thyroid, and I'm better most of the time, but I have at least 2 days a month, when I have no energy.

5. kch64

kch64 New Member

Glad you are starting to feel better. I go to see another doctor next week. He took blood tests for thyroid and saliva for adrenals. Hope they show something he can fix (grin).

6. kch64

kch64 New Member

No they're not supposed to descriminate, but they push the limits of it, and sometimes get away with it.

I'm a federal employee and i constantly hear about the descrimination act, but I guess it doesn't apply to me.

that's the way it feels sometimes. but I'll get through this. just another bump in the road.

7. kch64

kch64 New Member

I Jaminhealth. I tried Armor thyroid and it didn't work for me. I can't tolerate it. But I'm glad you got help. An out-of-whack thyroid is horrible.
  8. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Dr Brownstein says everyone with thyroid problems should be taking an iodine supplement. Iodine Urine test should be done to optimize it.

Iodoral 12.5mg tablets or Lugol's Iodine 2 drops/day give you as much Iodine as consumed in the Japanese diet. They eat lots of seaweeds.

Higher amounts may be needed, you need to test it 2B sure.

I was on 90mg of Armour, now down to 30mg. Armour is porcine thyroid. It's all released at once. It OK at 30mg, but my wife needed 180mg and she went from hypo before to hyper after taking it...then hypo by the evening. She is doing great on a time released compounded T3/T4.

She always had freezing hands, ~10 days on thyroid, she came back from the store and put her hands on my face (use to be ice cubes) and I was shocked how warm they were. She said she was walking in the store and the thermostat kicked on and she instantly felt wonderful. Instant was really 10 days later.
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I had the same type of problems my last semester of teaching. My employers were not very accommodating but to be fair it is difficult to do that with this type of job. I had doctor notes and also took FMLA. I even tried working part time.

I went through the union to get some of these issues resolved but this did not help.

My boss was vicious but that was kind of her style anyway, LOL!! I received the first negative evaluation in 26 years of working for school districts and social service agencies. I had worked there for five years. She was so nitpicky in my evaluation. I certainly got the impression that she really did not want me there. That's the short version.

I think the worse thing was that I did not realize how sick I was and I pushed myself too hard. I was too exhausted to advocate for myself which is totally unlike me.

I only wish I had gone on disability sooner. At the time I was not diagnosed with FM possible CFS, but a sleep disorder and depression, but I really don't know if having a diagnosis of FM/CFS would have made a difference.

Good luck and keep us posted.

[This Message was Edited on 11/02/2010]
  10. simonedb

simonedb Member

It is a complicated issue. I think we have a very work ethic oriented culture into high productivity and lots of competition and guilt trips if dont push the limits etc but I have had to be a stickler over the years on what I can do and can't and it has been hard, people have given me a hard time indirectly sometimes, luckily I am more fortunate than many though that most of my coworkers understanding although I know they dont really get it and may think I am sort of lazy or neurotic at how strict I am about what i will or won't do. I am just lucky its a large institution afraid of lawsuit and i did go over my boss' head once about accomodations when I could tell she was not understanding the depth of my problem with pacing needs etc I also took in a letter from a doc and tht helped about my boundaries.

the worst part isnt what the others say think or do but rather my reaction, worrying or projection about it, I have had to let it go alot and not worry as much but I dont like it when I think about it, our culture is just not geared to pacing and taking care of yourself and I dont like having to be the lone person doing that, its very uncomfortable or sometimes it sets a precedent that others want to follow too but then i know thats not the best thing for morale or the workplace if everyone wants to be really strict about pacing as since we work in a competitive world supposedly a place succeeds if people work hard etc although I have always felt that if people take care of themselves they will like their work better. some institituions and companies knw and support that with daycare and gyms etc

anyway I am going to try to stay in the job even if its awkwrd because its better for me to be part of something part time than not at all if I can swing it. until they kick me out :) and then I could talk to an attorney right? the dis act......