Working with the "Brain Fog"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by smithje77, Feb 27, 2006.

1. smithje77

smithje77 New Member

How does everyone hold down a full time job with this horrible brain fog. I am a computer programmer, and even with lighter workload I still have a horrible brain fog after a few hrs of work. Any tips? I have been making tons of notes and following a list, but it wont help when I get to this point.

Tips are appreciated?
    Thanks
    Joy
  2. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I worked for 5 months as a sec, receptionist for a huge highschool with fibro.. I had to write everything down. I would transpose phone #s. Forget to give messages to the principal.
    It was awful. I would come home and go to bed for at least 3 hours, get up, fix something fast and easy and be back in bed by 8:00pm. My poor husband got used to tuna fish sandwiches and hamburgers for supper. I loved my job!!!

I had been there for 4 yrs and everyone loved me and I loved them too. Finally in Oct after 6 mths with the pain becoming greater by the wk, I had to take pension disability. I hate being home. You feel worthless without that contribution coming in. Now im home alone all day. I lost all of my work friends, they work and I dont. The last week, the pain has been the worse ever. Im hanging on by a thread. My hubby is wonderful but everytime I think he understands, he says something stupid and I realize that noone but us understand. Sorry for rambling, Im full of pain pills today. I dont think I helped you at all but I will continue to pray for all of you. You will know if and when you can nolonger work.

Suzette

3. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Sometimes I don't think there really is anything you can do about it. What about working part time?
    I worked a fulltime job and then got laid off but I was going to ask to get laid off but they beat me to it. I tried to take a couple weeks off and then try another job. I did it for two days and then was in bed for three after that. So had to quit and I am at home now. It's true you will know when you are done. I did it the hard way and I'm still not up to par.
    Cindy
  4. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

My brainfog is more like a drunken type state. I see stars constantly, worsened coordination and the like. Can't find anyway to circumnavigate this stuff.
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Have set routines that you follow. Double check everything. Work at a steady pace, don't rush. Drink plenty of water. Eat extra salt if you cannot hold fluids. Eat small frequent meals. Get plenty of rest.

Good luck. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work. Is there any possilibity of reducing your hours to part time. Arranging an extra long lunch hour that allowed for a nap would help, if there was someplace you could nap.
  6. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

It may not be possible to do this but our brains are easily overloaded with sensory information because our signals pathways are being clogged up by pain signals. That said if you can, every hour or two hours close the door to your office or find a closet, stand in a lonely place outside ect. and do deep breathing with your eyes closed for a full 5 minutes. You will be amazed at how "brain clearing " this is. If possible go outside and walk for 10 minutes every few hours to recharge your brain.
    Also as already said neverr be with out sticky notes- they are the lifeblood of Fibro!! Ha!
    Cosmoo
  7. jana15

jana15 New Member

Joy,

I had to give up work a few years ago and I still greive having had to, but I just couldn't continue. Besides, I was making mistakes which would have eventually affected my reputation. Silly mistakes which I now know are directly related to the brain fog but when it was happening I started doubting my ability.

I still have the brain fog but it can now only affect my Husband, our cats or myself. This morning I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by the Mack truck again, but dragged myself out of bed, showered, cleaned my teeth and then applied toothpaste to my face instead of moisturiser.....no my moisturiser isn't in a tube it was just the old brain fog, so I took myself back to bed to rest some more.

I dream that one day I will be able to leave the house to work but in the meantime I have to be content staying put as no one knows how long it will take. I feel productive at the moment because I'm writing a book from bed, but some days the illness won't even allow me to do that....those days I meditate and hold on to my hopes and dreams.

Good luck Joy and please don't let it get to the stage where you start doubting your abilities!

Cheers Jana