World War Three with Doctor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Feb 2, 2007.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:

I really was shocked. I went to my Fm doc and at the end of the exam he said that according to my labs, my sodium was low.

I asked why did he think it was low.

He leaned over his desk and like a bi*ch said: Maybe it is all of the narcotics.

I was shocked.

I left the office and although he had given me scripts for all my meds, the next day in my mailbox I found that he gave me a second sripts of the same meds.

Well, I will take them, but on my next visit, i will say:

I take one and only one narcotic: And is from YOU.

The visit is soon and I can not wait to rip into him.

You know the expression: familiarlity breeds contempt?

I think he reached this point.

I have going to him for years and I get an exam and meds.

He knows how serious all of my dxs are.

Why he so bi**hy, I have no idea.

Needless to say, I am ticked off at him and I know i will rip into him on the next visit.

I will not be treated like a drug addict. Haven't I heard this story a million times, but I never thought it would happen to me?

Well, it is.

I will straighten out things with him right away or he will have a real problem on his hands.

After years of going to him I will not put up with this.

Thanks for letting me vent.

nyrofan

2. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I don't think I am reading this right, or something cause I am not getting the point?

I don't know what sodium has to do with drugs? Is having it low something bad?

I always read your posts, but I must be dense! Please tell me because I know you are a sensible person from your other posts!

Thanks, Jana
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

nyrofan, I am shocked at the way he acted! I always thought that your doctor was really good to you and APPROVED you taking the pain med -- and that's why he gave it to you! Now to turn around and act this way!!! :(

I'm glad you intend to discuss it with him on your upcoming visit! I most definitely would, too!

Let us know his reaction!

Good luck,

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

sorry to hear that such a stupid remark has upset you.
    question is: did he realy mean it like this or was it thoughtless stupidity from his side?

anyhow, i allways let some days pass when i am ticked of about someone or something, in order to cool down and beeing able to answer such stupidety with dignity and cool nerves.it has helped me to avoid sensless agrevation. lets face it, its often just ingnorance and lack of understanding of how hurtfull such remarks can be, in the face of the daily battles we are going through.

so, head up, you dont owe anyone justification; we know better.
    love and hugs karina

5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:

Thank you for your insight into this. I know it sounds
    out of the realm of an ordinary doctor visit.

Jana: Yes, he could have explained the low sodium.

When he said 'your sodium is low' I did think he would offer an explanation, but he said the other thing so fast, I did not even have time to ask.

The visit was over and I just left.

You are right: I should have demanded an answer.

I hope that cleared things up. BTW- I always read your posts.

They are good common sense.

nyrofan
  6. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I had a somewhat similar visit to my Rheumy. He told me my darvocet should be lasting 30 days for the 90 tabs given. He said I should go to a pain clinic. It was like he has given up on me and thought Im a drug addict. It didnt seem to matter that my bottle says to take 1 tab every 4 hrs which means that 90 tabs last 15 days if I take them as directed.

I was devastaded. when I got home and told my husband, he called our primary dr who then called the rheumy who then called and apologized the next morning. I know this wouldnt have happened without the intervention of my husband and my primary dr. I cant figure out what people want from us.

Ive been thinking for a week now and I think the rheumys can only give us pain meds after they do all of the tests that rule out anything else. Maybe I should go to a pain clinic! Ive heard so many horror stories here about them that at first I wouldnt have gone. My next appt with both of my drs is the 1st week in March. My husband is going with me to the rheumy-which he was supposed to do last time.

Sorry this was so long. Best of luck to you and let us know what happens. You are right! Its hard enough for us to get through each day with this DD without our drs turning on us!!

Suzette
  7. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

I am sorry about your recent doctor visit. That was uncalled for. Doctors have bad days, but still there is no excuse for that type of behavior.

Is he a solo practioner or does he belong to a clinic?

Lots of docs have big egos, I know it. I have seen it first hand as well. My last pain doc basically got sick of me & "dumped" me. I had been seeing her for 2 1/2 years. All she would say towards the end of our relationship was she didn't know what to do with me, she couldn't figure out why I was so sick & not improving & just kept giving me my same meds. She just didn't care anymore.

I don't know how your next office visit will go, but you may want to put yourself into a new market for a new doc.

One that cares. It sickens me what I hear some people go through at the doc's office.

I would stick up for myself as well. I would let him know he was out of place & if he isn't solo I would bring it to the attention of the director of the clinic, or the hospital if he is directly affiliated to one.

love your friend-
    fun

P.S.-as always if i can be of any help let me know. I know search ways to find good docs across the U.S.
  8. JolieLuLu

JolieLuLu New Member

get he anger out for now.

Sit down and write him a letter using "I" statements, especially about how you felt when he said those things to you.

He was probably in a bad mood, and unfortunately your appt was his mood projection.

Make an appt to see him again, and READ the letter to him at the appt.

It will be okay, all relationships have bumps!

love and light,
    jolie
  9. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

Your doctor was out of place, he should of told you why he thought your sodium was low. Goggle "reasons for low sodium", there are many reasons some as simple as drinking too much water. Nevertheless it should of been addressed, low sodium can cause confusion along with other problems. I do not know of any reasons why narcotics would cause your sodium to be low.

I think Doctors get frustrated with us because we are a difficulty group. When I say difficult I mean are symptoms are ever changing and our pain and fatigue is hard to control. I don't think they will ever understand unless they get FM themselves.

Sorry you had to go through this we all deserve better medical care.