Worried about driving?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpipes, Dec 27, 2006.

1. bpipes

bpipes New Member

Any comments on driving while being in the Fibro Fog? I can feel ok when I start out then have dizzy spells and feel like I'm going through a tunnel. Never know when it will happen. Worry that I will hurt someone else but hate to be dependent on my husband for everything. He is diabetic and not in great shape either. You can see my story under "What do I have to look forward to?"
  2. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I don't drive! I used to, but I think I'm just too impaired. My desire to drive does not outweigh the potential loss of someone else's life if I kill them with my car.

My own life either!

CFS 6 1/2 years --- 25 years old
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I just don't drive when I feel like that either because I know I'd be a danger on the road.

My husband isn't well either but between us we do ok and muddle through. If neither of us is feeling well, we just don't go.

Have you had the dizzy spells checked out by a doctor? Dizziness can be caused by many things, not just FM.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  4. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I no longer drive I stopped when I first got FM...........
    I could not turn my neck to SEE left of right.The day I almost hit a school Bus Full Of Children did it.I could not turn my heat to the right to see if anything was coming it was a School Bus......................If she had not been paying attention I would have hit her............................

To this Day I Thank GOD she WAS..................I no longer drive . I could not live with myself if I hurt or even worse kill someone.

Hugs
    Sue
    PS:I will drive again when I feel that I can..............Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2006]
  5. lin21

lin21 New Member

but very very little . I can't take the stress and I'm afraid that if I get hit I'll be blamed for the accident because of my meds.
    But my husband knows this and has taken full advantage of it. Like right now, he is going out with my daughter and he knows I can't drive at night so I'm stuck here with nothing.
    Lin

6. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I quit driving about 2 wks ago permanently out of town. In town for some reason my eyes seem to focus on what and where I am driving and my surroundings. Out of town it seems to be what someone else called "sensory overload".

It is like my eyes want to go closed or cross or I am seeing double. I know it is not my eyes as I was just to the eye doctor and my eyesight had not hardly changed in the last 3 years. I mentioned my FM to him and he said he had a few other patients with the same condition and problems driving, as far as they could ever come up with there was never anything out of the abnormal. I believe there isn't, at least with me.

I can tell first thing in the morning when I get up what kind of eyesight day it will be. If I cannot see the morning news without double vision then my day for driving is shot. About 1/2 of my days are this way. But I do not base my driving on this...I just do not drive out of town.

The day I got my glasses..I had put off getting them, even though they had been in for two days already. It was an hour and a half drive and no one to drive me...I drove my self. It was the longest...scariest drive I have ever..ever done...and will never..ever repeat.

It is hard to rely on others if I need to go out of town. I haven't quite conquered this yet..I just don't ask. I feel like a bother yet and that I have yet lost another aspect of my independence. I will regain it elsewhere...but in my mind..I am not there yet.

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  7. bukswife

bukswife New Member

i['m very limited as to where i will go by myself...i usually know when i get up in the morning how i'm going to feel for the day...so that pretty much tells me if i can drive..the fog is scary..i've actually pulled over and parked in a parking lot a few times fearful to drive..

you are not alone!!!
  8. ktpar

ktpar New Member

One night I was out driving, Had been in bed with fatigue all day. Woke up about 9pm night. Went to McD to get a sandwich I was pulled over by the police officer for making a wide turn. Told by him that I could be arrested for Driving under the influence of Vicodin. Given a breathilizer test. Told the cops I couldn't walk the white line because I had a metal plate instilled on rght tibia bone. Didn't know that existed. So know when I drive, I try to make it in the day when I could see very well. I was so afraid of going to jail. New to this city and didn't know the area well. Thank God I had the bottles in the car with me because the DR had just started me on Vicodin and the sleep aid Elavil. I have hated those two combo of meds since.I have since switched to Ambien. Police gave me a warning and I was told to drive home safely. Weird story for me.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/30/2006]
  9. Suzan

Suzan New Member

When I do , it is within about a 10 mile radius of my home. Between the meds, and the concentration issues, and the discomfort, it is just one of the things that fibro has taken away from me. I am lucky that I have always been a bit of a homebody..but there are days where I sure would like to just be able to get in the car and go! Luckily I have a husband who will take me pretty much whereever I am up to going...Lucky for him, there aren't that many days when I actually want to out to begin with!LOL
  10. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I drive long distances, sometimes 600 plus miles. I drive 72 miles each way to visit my docs. I haven't felt impaired at all, and I'm not willing to give it up just yet.

Hubby hasn't noticed any impairment in my driving either.
    Mini
    Mini
  11. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I know how hard it is to give up something you've been accustomed to. I just got my license before I became very sick with FM. I do not drive. I also take narcotics, so that is another reason. I have 4 small children. I took drivers ed when I got my license and the one thing they drilled into the heads of everyone is that driving takes alot of concentration & an ability to react quickly to unexpected situations. I hope you make a responsible decision, as I believe that's where it lies. There are already enough irresponsible drivers on the road. It blows me away to have conversations with people about what conditions they drive under. My Father in law can't turn his neck, but stubbornly continues to drive. I'm just waiting for that call that he's killed himself, or even worse someone else. Could you live with yourself if that happened? I know I couldn't. I hope you don't take this post negatively, but just wanted to have you consider the risks you'd be taking. I HATE to rely on others, especially my husband as he does so much extra as it is. I always feel my kids are missing out, but at least I'm not putting them in danger. Take care, and best of luck, Laura
  12. BelleoftheSouth

BelleoftheSouth New Member

and the idea of driving 60-70 mph down the highway and just for a second FORGET HOW TO DRIVE...oh yea..what a picnic that was.

I try to drive on secondary roads only.

I would like to know more about 'sensory overload'...what is that?

Happy 'early' New Year to all.

Belle~
  13. scarletlily

scarletlily New Member

I don't feel safe anymore! I live about 20 miles from town and hubby (a truck driver) is usually only home on the weekends. I try to avoid driving at night. When I do have to drive after dark I nearly freak out with fear. I have a hard time turning my head to the left or right and I get dizzyish at times also have caught myself sorta "zoning out"! When I can I have Hubby drive. He doesn't want too though cause he is so sick of driving and wants/needs a break.

Scarletlily
  14. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

my driving is getting less and less.
    But what options do i have .
    i drive
    im a passanger (and get horrible motion sickness)
    or i am a hermit.

geez wolly, what the heck is a girl to do?

:(
  15. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Hope this helps explain what sensory overload is.

Sensory overload (sometimes abbreviated to SO) is when one or more of the five senses are strained and it becomes difficult to focus on the task at hand.

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie :)
  16. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Driving has been less and less for me. I always take someone with me when I drive long distances. But lately I can only drive around town, like no more than 20 mile radius. Sucks too, because I have a brand new car, bought it new in May. I am dying to go on a raod trip with my fiance, but driving long distances wipes me out.