Worried about my lack of tests .

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pixipip, Aug 20, 2003.

1. pixipip

pixipip New Member

I only found this site yesterday and reading through the messages, you guy's all seem to have had so many tests.
    I was diognosed purley on the tender point test and case history, I've only ever had a couple of blood tests to check for arthritis, now I'm worried that I havent been checked properly. What tests should I have had done?
    A bit bewildered now!
    Jacqui.
  2. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

I don't have much to offer, but, will be watching this post. I have had some lab work, but, everytime I mention something I find here like PCR/DNA all I get is dumbfounded looks and told that is not necessary. Still on the big quest for a doc truly knowlegable about this illness. Best of luck. Tulip
  3. ranger

ranger New Member

Jacqui,
    I have worked in the medical profession and I have been diagnosed with FM/CF for 5 years now. I was always on the quest for them to test me for any and everything this thing could be. I did not want a, 'oh well, learn to live with it' attitude if something else could be going on. I think you definetly should have had a sed rate, a rheumatoid factor and ANA- all blood tests. They should check for thyroid problems, chest x-ray and even a chem panel, also blood. I had an MRI, which is a x-ray type thing where they look at your entire body, bones and muscles, and you have to go inside a machine either in a tube or now they have open MRI, which is easier for claustrophes like myself. If they won't do an MRI (expensive), at least get a spinal x-ray, both upper and lower back. If you are numb and tingling in any areas, they need to check for nerve pinches for that area too. It can all start with a complete physical, which rules out the basic problems. This diagnosis should not be quick. You need to have the symptoms for a period of 4-6 months, before they think of Fibromyalgia. I don't mean that to discourage anyone from checking anything out if it's bothering you. Don't wait to see a doc..but most of us were told they didn't know what it was,until time went by and nothing else was working. I'll bet I missed some tests here, I'm sure, but those were the ones I had, after insisting I wanted to be sure they didn't miss anything. If the Rheumatoid and or ANA are high, they will further check the blood for other things. I hope this helps.
    Ranger
  4. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I've had:

Blood tests:
    Complete thyroid profile
    CBC
    Sed Rate
    ANA
    Aldolase
    CPK
    C-Reactive Protein