Worried about not being able to sleep at sleep study.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hasbeen, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Hasbeen

Hasbeen New Member

My doctor wants me to have the sleep study. I stay fatigued all the time but I'm not sleepy all the time. I have trouble going to sleep and staying asleep. So how in the world will I be able to sleep at the hospital with all those wires hooked to me? Not to mention I'm a recovering agoraphobic. My doctor appt. for my consultation is Jan. 14.
    I just don't see how I'm going to sleep. Any comforting thoughts?
  2. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

i also went to have a sleep sudy done have sleep apna i thought the same things as you . all i can say is i did get to sleep at last . ask if you can be put to bed last and take a book with you also to read hope this helps you and let me know how you did . good luck
  3. Lendi

Lendi New Member

Hi, I just had a sleep study done a few weeks ago. It is a bit difficult. But, and I didn't know this, you can ask your dr. to prescribe an ambien for you. This will help you get to sleep, but then wears off. I thought it was just done so didn't ask. I found out that the Dr. has to order it and by then it was too late. But, if it makes you feel better, they can tell a lot just from one sleep cycle and that only last 1 1/2-2 hrs, which is about what I slept. LOL The report showed, that like you, I have a hard time going to sleep, then I do not sustain a deep sleep when/if I do get there. So, in a way, if that's your natural sleep pattern, that's what you want them to see. Let me know if you have any questions. I may not have the answers and they may not even be correct, but I'd be happy to share my experience with you. It really is kinda interesting. And, I had a television and brought a book. Luck to you, Lendi
  4. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

Hello Hasbeen,
    I have been using a CPap machine for over 10 yrs. They have
    a new type made for people who have claustraphobia. The end is two small, very soft discs that are elongated, and fit into your nostrals. This is the kind I have, because I am so warm blooded that I would sweat under the other one.

If you don't like the first one, make sure you don't settle for it. They have to make you comfortable.

The sleep test its self doesn't require much sleep actually, about 1-2 hrs. Althought it depends on what your sleep problem is. I quit breathing 37 times in the first hour, so the nurse just brought me a CPap and let me use it. I was so relieved to sleep, I didn't have a problem with the mask. The maks is very small, and just covers yur nose.

I am 58 and developed other sleep problems unrelated to the apnea. I take Ambien at night, and wake feeling so rested. None of the fog head for half a day.

I"ll pray that you have a good test and can relax. Hospitals are the pits for sleep!! 1maqt
  5. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hiya.

Just to let you know i had a sleep study done on me a little before xmas. I hardly slept that night and told the dr that i dont normally sleep like that. His answer to that was dont worry, we only need a little to find out if you stop breathing while sleeping. MY came back ok to my surprise.
    shazzy
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Hasbeen:

I just participated in a sleep study in Detroit in early December. I thought that the wires would bother me a lot, but they didn't as much as I thought they would. I also thought that I would be more self-conscious knowing I was being watched, but I that wasn't a big problem either.

The hardest thing for me was having to be off all of my sleep and pain medications a week before and during the sleep study, but I really wanted to help in the research to find a cure for fibromyalgia. So while I went through some inconvenience and discomfort, (as well as giving up some of my time), it was well worth it and I am glad I did it. I am still waiting to hear my results.

I hope that what I have told you will give you some comfort and encourage you to go ahead with the study. Like you and most people with fibromyalgia, I don't sleep very well. Some nights are better than others. Good luck to you and let us know how it went!

Ellen
  7. marta

marta New Member

.....It's only one night. ;>)

Hello All, I've haven't posted in a while but when I read this post I remembered my anxiety about my sleep study last August.

Check with your doctor but I was allowed to take my sleep med that night. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to sleep without it. As it was I slept only lightly for several hours, but enough for them to get the info they needed. (I don't have sleep apnea, I just don't often reach REM sleep, or didn't that night.)

The most unpleasant part of the study for me was trying to get the oil out of my hair that they used to remove the "glue" for the wires and the A/C that blew on me all night. The location for the study was less than good but they had a waiting list regardless.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine. (Oh, I also took my own pillow which turned out to be a good plan.)

Marta
  8. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Ellen,

I was going to participate in that sleep study after the PA at my rheaumie's office called me to tell me about it but I would have had to drive to Detroit for three days. I was living in Lansing at the time. I have a really hard time driving distances so I declined it when the doctor in charge of the study called me. It is good to hear that you participated for the benefit of us Fibros. I have already been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and prescribed a CPAP machine. I was put on the high end of oxygen saturation.

Betsy