Worried about surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dragon06, Dec 23, 2006.

1. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I am slated to go in for surgery on Jan.4 and I am very concerned about this.

It will be a fairly invasive surgery. It will be open incision and I will have my ovary, tube and cyst removed with the possibility of a complete hysterectomy.

Almost 3 years ago I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically. This is a much less invasive surgery consisting of only four small incisions.

After my gallbladder surgery my FM took a turn for the worst and I have been getting progressively worse since. Now part of this I attribute to the amount of time I had to wait for the surgery (5 months) while having regular attacks.

I am going in for this much bigger surgery and even though the surgeon is FM friendly I can't help but worry that I will come out of this even worse than I am now.
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Did you treat yourself for "after gallbladder surgery"? Like by taking bile salts and digestive enzymes that contain lipase (this digests fat)? And do you do the other diet things like no junk, low fat (esp saturated), probiotics, etc? When the gallbladder can't hold the bile, it trickles down into the intestines slowly and won't digest fat properly. I imagine this could cause a problem with absorption of fat soluble vitamins, among other things. So maybe it wasn't the surgery exactly that "did you in" but part malnourishment afterwards because your digestive system wasn't able to function properly. A nice healthy body may bounce back quite nicely after gallbladder removal, but ours we have to help along. And don't forget to be extra special nice to the liver!

From what I have read, after removal of the gallbladder you have to take bile salts with every meal. Dr. Mercola recommends Beta Plus by Biotics, though I'm sure there are others.

For surgery, I would eat well and load up on vitamins and minerals for weeks before, if you aren't already.

good luck!

karen
  3. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi,
    I had my gallbladder out the old fashioned way in 1995. It was a fairly large incision. I didn't seem to cause my FM to be worse or have a major flare. Maybe I was just lucky. As for taking bile salts I personally don't think it's necessary unless the doctor tells you to. I did not take anything after the surgery and all was fine. I really wonder if loading up on all of these so called supliments is a good idea. I was eating french fries in a few weeks although I don't overdo the fats.
    I wish you all of the luck and God's blessings and healing in your coming surgery!
    Bob
  4. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Dragon06:

I just had a complete abdominal hysterectomy due to pre-cancerous cells in my uterus (endometrium)in November. I had no FMS issues. I did have RA issues, including atrial fibrillation...which I am still having problems with. My ob/gyn knows of my FMS and RA issues and worked well with my doctors to determine which meds I could continue and which ones I had to stop 1 week prior to surgery. I was able to have 2 units of my own blood ready for me if I needed it, which I did not.

I am guessing that they will be draining your ovarian cyst, and that you will not have a very large incision. I had a c-section 7 years ago when I had my daughter, and they were able to use the same incision site. I did not have much pain, and was off the pain pump within 24 hours of surgery. I went home after 5 days in the hospital and while tired, actually felt somewhat better. I had been having constant bleeding, cramping, bloating for more than a year. Fortunately, there was no pre-cancer or cancer found outside of my uterus.

Not sure which meds you might be taking for your FMS symptoms, but be sure that you can get them in the hospital. There is a bit of anxiety about not knowing if you will be able to rest, etc. in the hospital, so just ask your doctor all these questions.

Good luck to you and we will be thinking of you.

Ingrid
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Unfortunately they cannot drain the cyst before removal so I will have a very large incision (the doc has already told me this).

6. u34rb

u34rb New Member

dragon06,

I don't think that you can compare a keyhole gall-bladder removal with the open removal of an ovary (and tube) as you have suggested.

What I mean is that open surgery for the gall bladder is certainly more invasive than the keyhole variety you received. But remember that the ovaries and tubes are much closure to the surface of the abdomen, so open surgery is less invasive anyway. Yes, you will have a long incision, but it won’t be as deep as for the gall bladder, and less muscle groups will be affected, etc. In fact I would have thought it a little pointless to attempt it by keyhole techniques, which anyway involve some incisions.

I write as someone who is facing keyhole repair of THREE hernias. My concern, if I have one, is that the surgeon is experienced in the technique. I have read that doctors sometime prefer to have their own hernias repaired by open surgery if their favourite surgeon has a better track record for that method, and they should know what they're doing!

So knowing what way to go can be a little more complicated than just believing that keyhole surgery is automatically better.

I expect that the reference, in your case, to a "complete hysterectomy" is purely precautionary, so I hope that they wake you up with good news. Unfortunately, they can hardly wake you up half way through to discuss it.
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

have a pre-op appointment scheduled for the 28th where we will go over all medications and anesthetic options.

I am looking forward to having this cyst removed cause it is causing me a lot of problems. I am just hoping the removal doesn't make new problems.
  8. twitcher

twitcher New Member

I wish you the best with surgery. I had spine surgery 1.5 years ago and this is what set this whole thing off. I'll never have surgery again unless it's an emergency.

Twitcher
  9. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi I had this surgery last jan too. I had a 16 cm mass on my rt ovary. The surgery took three hours. I kept my uterus. I have CFS, POTS and NHM. I can't work or go out much and most of my day is on the couch.

It was painful. I should have insisted on the morpine pump longer. But after two weeks it didn't hurt. I'd check out hystersisters and go to the ovaries only section.

Sorry you have to do this. I know you make it fine through the surgery for sure.

If you like to lay on your side and you have bit of a swollen belly i'd get one of those micro beed pillows to support your stomach. It helped alot.

You will be fine and let us know how it goes.
    Rene
  10. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

I understand your worry about surgery. I had a partial hysterectomy two months ago where they only removed my uterus. However, I had my old c-section scar opened fully as my uterus had grown to the size of a small soccer ball. I have FM/CFS and this was my first surgery since having these diseases and I was very scared. I am very sensitive to medications and alerted my surgeon of that and she worked with me well. I am very allergic to alot of anti-biotics so she had me take an oral version of one we knew that I wasn't allergic to a few days before surgery which allowed me to forego any IV anti-biotics. I also told the anethesiologist about my FM/CFS. I came out of surgery better than I thought I would. The first 24 hours coming out of the general anethesia is probably the worst part. I had a pain IV, but started getting ichy from it after about 12 hours so I had to stop it and take Vicodin which seemed to work ok. I was only in the hospital for 2 nights as I couldn't wait to get home and sleep in my own bed as those hospital beds are not that comfortable. I admit that I did have surgery pain and bit more FM stiffness, but nothing like I had when I had my gallbladder removed back in 1989 before I had FM/CFS. I agree with the other person's comment that your gallbladder is very deep in your upper abdomen and it is a much more difficult surgery. I will admit that I am finally getting back to my normal energy that I had before surgery after two months of recovery, but I was very anemic also which could be part of the reason for my extra weakness. I would say that my CFS flared up more than my FM during my recovery and I had to go on my yeast elimination diet. I wish you the best and will pray for you to have a smooth recovery. You will be so relieved when you get those problems organs removed and should feel better. I know that I am starting to. Good luck!
  11. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

for all the encouragement and advice, it really helps.

I just bought a wedge pillow to use in bed for when I get home and I got some slippers for the hospital. I think I will only be there 2 days but who knows.

I guess I will get more info on the 28th.