Worse FM symptoms after a yeast infection, is there a connection?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Back in January I got a very bad yeast infection. I could hardly walk because of the pain and itching. Although I have FM, TMJ, migrains, drug and chemical sensitivies for a long time now, I managed to never get a yeast infection which I know is very common for women.

I was under tremendous stress from work, and not eating the way I should be, Anyways, I went to the OB/GYN and she told me it was a pretty bad infection and prescribed me some miconozole (spelling?) cream to insert for seven days.

Although, I do think the initial infection went away, I bascially have felt worse since then. I feel more abdominal pain and bloating, gassy, sugar cravings are severe. I went back to the doctor and she checked for another infection and told me she didn't see one.

Another thing, I swear I developed vulvodynia or at least something close to that since I had the yeast infection.

Has anyone faced something like this? Could this still be yeast overgrown within the body? I can't ask the GYN, she will think I'm nuts, LOL.

Would digestive enzymes help with the bloating and abdominal cramps? I'm tired of one thing after another. Thank you for listening. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

EVERYONE should be taking Probiotics, but especially someone who has shown to have localized yeast infection, as you have. Also, anyone who has taken Antibiotics, Steriods, birth control pills, and anyone showing GI distress, at either end, or, in between. So, there you have it, we all need them.

I would take a GOOD quality Probiotic. Two that I have used are PB-8 (my mainstay) and Primal Defense. The PB-8 is more affordable ($14-$20) depending what size you get. The Primal Defense by Garden of Life is EXPENSIVE, about $35. A LOT of people on this board like Jarrodophilus, but I have never used it, so can't comment.

If you should develop another vaginal yeast infection, you can insert one of your Probiotic capsules at night and it will clear it right up. If this worries you, give a call to any Compounding Pharmacist, and they should be able to confirm this for you. Much safer to treat using this rather than those harsh/toxic chemicals.

Hope you get some relief soon. Yeast issues can become nasty and chronic.
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

The doctor can only prolongue it or turn it into something worse. Yes, definitely the probiotics and also, MSM. Cheney recommends it. I looked it up and it is a potent detoxifier and also anti-yeast! He says it destroys yeast's cell walls and they melt. He also says be careful, work your way up to a high dose, like 6-9 grams slowly or you'll detox too fast and get sicker. I've started taking 1 gram a day and now take 2 and it's really making a difference. He also says make sure it's a good quality product and don't take it with mineral supplements or vitamins because it's possible it will bind to the minerals like it bonds to toxins.
    It's available here at immunesupport.com.

What I've found with antibiotics and creams is they don't really work, or just for a few days and since they've killed off all the "good" bugs down there, the bad "bug" may be dead for a little while but comes back with a vengeance because there are no longer any defenses.

Digestive enzymes will help with bloating and cramping if the problem is that you're not digesting properly and since that's almost all of us, you should try them. I can't eat anything without them except fruit.

The MSM great stuff for yeast all throughout the body, which you probably have, and if you're having other problems, look into methyl donors. I take this and TMG and Sam e, among many other things, and this "methyl group" is really working for me. I cut out the TMG and MSM one day last week because I didn't really know what they were doing and noticed the difference right away. I won't stop them again. karen

[This Message was Edited on 11/19/2006]
  4. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thanks you elliespad and Karen for your informative responses. I have a prett important question, do probiotics contain the chemical FOS?

A few years ago, I took a product that contained FOS and nearly had to go the the hospital because of severe diarrhea, pain and cramping that lasted non stop for 8 whole days, I do admit I felt wonderful after taking this product at least for a while, but I couldn't go through that kind of detox again.

I was searching probiotics on the internet and one company has said they do not use FOS in there product, which made me think that other companies do use FOS.

I hope I'm making sense. Hugs to you, Chelz.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I think the fact that you had a vaginal yeast infection is indicative that you have a lot of yeast in your intestinal tract, and that it's the latter that's causing you the other problems.

If that's the case, then you should follow the standard protocol to get rid of it:

1) Go on a yeast-control diet. Eliminate all sugar. Cut way back on or eliminate white flour. Limit fruit juices severely. Don't overdo on white rice. (Some people will recommend more extreme diets, but if you have CFS, you should plan to be on this sort of diet forever so that the yeast doesn't come back. Never eating another apple etc. is simply impractical as well as unhealthy.)

2) Take a lot of probiotics. My doctor recommends 10 billion microorganisms per day (equal to 10 regular capsules). I never felt like probiotics helped me at all until I increased to this dosage.

3) Experiment with varioius yeast killers. Herbal ones include oregano oil, pau d'arco and garlic. There are others, but my mind is blanking on them at the moment. Nystatin is a prescription one.

4) If you start to feel bad (tired, spacey, headachey, etc.), probably it's due to a die-off reaction (herx). If that happens, you may want to cut back on the yeast killers to go more slowly. (Or just stay with it to get rid of it faster.) Drink lots of water, take vitamin C, keep regular. I found colonic hydrotherapy (colonic) to be _tremendously_ helpful with regard to a candida (yeast) herx, but those aren't available everywhere.

Lots of info on this problem is available (including in the archives of this board). It ceertainly seems like it's worth exploring for you.

A book called "Optimal Wellness" may be useful for you with regard to this topic.
  6. b~kay~b

b~kay~b New Member

you are not alone and iam having a bad weekend myself well since my problems began with this fm ive been dealing with this vulvodynia thing and after the yeast infestion in which it attacks my whole body i just go t rid of the lst one at the end of september i mean in my ear all over my body. i had thrush. then there was eczema on top of it. i was slapping all kinds of stuff on in different areas 4 lotions i looked crazy i put it on thick too and then i felt worse like i had worked for 72 hrs straight non stop and just hurting alot of aching like the flu . but yes it is like one big yeas t infection.....invasion of the body snatchers i took antibiotics i took fluconzole(spelling)one strong pill but not storng enough then he put me on something strong for 15 days. if you ask a doc ask about the lotion cutivate he gave me a sample, i used eucerine,and hydrocortisone plus (cvs brand) and monistat i put that under my chest as well. i hope this helps some. if not at lest you know you are not alone but go to the doc and ask about that lotion maybe they have sample its for eczema, it dries it up but i slapped it on the thick areas too just to see if it would dry it up and some spots did you never know what would work on you as an individual but get a tube of monistat and just rub it all over.
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

Most Probiotics do NOT contain FOS. Some may, but they will state it. FOS stands for Fructooligosaccharides. It is a PReBIOTIC, meaning it promotes the growth(feeds) the GODD PROBIOTICS. It is an undigestible carbohydrate. The FOS could cause diahrrhea, pain and cramping if taken at doses above 30 grams.

I used to use it with my Probiotics, but when I ran out, just forgot to buy more. It SHOULD have MANY positive actions, but there are a few who should not take it.

FOS should not be taken by those individuals with irritable bowel syndrome or a sensitivity to either dietary fiber or inulins. FOS is also contraindicated for patients receiving radiation to the gastrointestinal tract or other parts of the body. FOS doses above 10 grams daily should not be taken by those individuals with lactose intolerance. Pregnant, lactating women, and children should not take supplemental FOS, unless recommended by a health care provider.

FOS doses above 30 grams daily may cause gastrointestinal side effects including flatulence, bloating, and diarrhea.

FOS supplementation may enhance the absorption of calcium and magnesium and the possible effectiveness of probiotics

[This Message was Edited on 11/20/2006]
  8. When I bought Probiotics last wk the gal said taking it , she hasn't had a yeast infection in YEARS! I have to keep taking it.
  9. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thank you everyone for your responses, it has helped. You are all so informative, wish I could be that way, LOL.

Elliespad, you had mentioned that people who are sensitive to fiber shouldn't take FOS. That is me exactly. I purposely avoid foods with high fiber even 3 grams a serving will cause me a lot of problems. The FOS that I took was a small dose and I STILL couldn't tolerate it.

I do believe that nasty yeast infection I had is behind all these additional problems. I am used to the FM have had that practically all my life. The yeast issues are adding to my problems.

I will purchase a probiotic without FOS and see it that helps me any. As far as diet, that will be tough, LOL, but I'm going to have to try. Again, THANK YOU. Hugs to all, Chelz.