Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gongee, Oct 24, 2008.

1. gongee

gongee New Member

I was recommended to go to an Internal Medicine Doctor here in Richmond, VA to establish a relationship with as my primary doctor due to mine passing away recently.
    This doctor was praised to the ultimate limit, so I thought this would be the one for me. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as he saw I had fibromyalgia, everything else including disc problems, stomach problem, TMJ, carpal tunnel, frozen shoulder, etc. went out of the window. I was floored when he said, "To me, fibromyaglia patients are nut cases."

Immediately, my temper shot up as I have no problem expressing myself and being my own advocate. I let him have it full force. After I finished telling him exactly what I thought of him, I grabbed all the notes from him and told him if he wanted to see a nut case, he would. I then tore up all the paperwork in front of him and demanded my co-payment back.

My son is a doctor and if I ever found out he treated a patient as this doctor, I would get him a beating. What a waste of precious time on my part.

Oh well, back to the looking game.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I had the same experience on Wed. I went to a Rheumy for the first time. I called to make sure she treated FM/CFS patients first. When I got my blood test results back, she said "I don't believe in FM". WHAT? I asked about treating FM patients and she said, I treat people who THINK they have FM.

I've been going through this for years. She saw my papers from the Mayo (they diagnosed FM/CFS) and said they were wrong for doing that. Next time, I'm going to ask who I should sue: her or the Mayo for misdiagnosing me. :)

My new plan is to call new doctors and ask how they treat FM. I want an excercise program, nutrional guidance (I'm also Type 1 diabetic) and sleep aids that work. I want the doctor to follow my progress - and I will not stop looking until I find one!!!!

Good luck with your search. I just wanted to let you know I understand exactly what you're going through.

By the way, tearing up the notes: PRICELESS! (LOL)

3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I am very impressed with your presence of mind and fiery spirit! I especially love "if he wanted to see a nut case, he would." :~)

I think that many doctors expect a meek response from patients and feel they will be unopposed when they express whatever cockamayme ideas they may hold in whatever obnoxious way they wish. They see us at our most vulnerable while we see them at their cockiest -- not a good situation.

I'm sure your experience as a patient has made your son a better doctor.

Peace out,
  4. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Mayo in AZ was my worst "doctor's visit". They may have diagnosed my FM (2 doctors), but they did nothing but have me see their shrink!!!!

5. gongee

gongee New Member

I just want to thank all of you who have replied to message and all that will. It really makes me feel like better.

I have been battling these so called doctors for years and I have to admit it, I only have respect for a very few of them, but this particular so called doctor today struck my last nerve. No doctor I have seen has ever spoke to me that way. It is a shame that most of them are only concerned about what money is coming in the door, not the patient. What happened to the Oath they took? The way I see it, they are working for me, not me for them.

I began speaking up for myself after a horrible hospital stay in May. and I made them write off the entire bill because of how I was treated. I vowed from that day forward no one was going to make me feel bad just because I have an illness they don't believe in.

I told my son about the events today and even though he is in another state he said he will be calling this doctor next week and tell him, since he is so far behind the times, he needs to purchase the med school textbook on Fibromyalgia and bush up on his skills and bedside manner.
    He also wants me to file a report with the AMA. He was honest and said they won't do anything about it, but it will be on record.

As to the co-payment, I sure did get it back. When I left, I slammed the door so hard, it is a miracle all the glass didn't fall out.

I guess you can see, I'm still fuming, but thanks again to everyone that has replied and will reply. Sometimes just a little support from friends goes a long way.

The message board is wonderful!

6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

and for giving that doctor what he deserved. What an &*&hole!

These doctors should be struck off. It's great that your son is willing to stick up for you too.

Well done and I hope your next doctor is much better - sometimes we have to go through a load of idiots before we find a decent doc - and even then, sometimes we need to educate them about our DD's.

Love Bunchy x
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Like the others, I am so proud of you. I want to know - did he have anything to say during this whole time that you were speaking (or tearing things up?)

It's a good reminder that we all need to walk into dr's offices with out heads held high - and yes being advocates for ourselves. Asking those good questions beforehand if we need to - " are you up on the latest treatments for Fibromyalgia" -"have you done research on it" etc.

What an arrogant SOB. If he treated you that way, you can be sure he has treated other patients with the same disrespect (whether they have Fibro or something else). I agree - report him to what the powers may be. Whether it does anything or not - who knows, but I'm sure he'll get a copy of the complaint and will make him think twice.

Thanks for standing up for all of us!
  8. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

good for you!!! wish I had the nerve to do it!! I have had some real "nut case" drs in the past and I wanted to tell em where to go... Im glad you let him have it!!!
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Well done, I have such admiration for you - what a complete plonker that doctor was. Bet he'll think twice before showing such disrespect to his patients again.
  10. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

All I can say is "OH MY GOODNESS". What a shame our FM is such a mystery to so many doctors. Don't they read or research?

One piece of advise NEVER see an older doctor, other than, Dr. Lerner, as they have never been trained about FM. See younger ones, they were.

Good luck on your search,

11. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

LOL Iam so happy that you let this guy have it!:)

I used to go to a chiropractor near my home and I really like this guy...that is until I found out from the massage therapist in his office that he did not believe in fm/cfs!

The massage therapist told me that he would never admit that to me....but it made me so mad knowing that he had on numerous occasions discussed with me my pain and symptoms from the fm/cfs and stood right in front of me and lied by acting like he understood when he certainly did not!

I missed my last scheduled appt with him on purpose....why waste my time and money on a person who lies....?

and the more all of us pull together and let these dr's and UNprofessionals have it the better off we will be!:)

Keep up the good work....Iam proud of you!