Worst headache of my life

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MandaJ, May 31, 2009.

1. MandaJ

MandaJ New Member

I've had a headache for 13 days. I've been to the ER, I've been the hospital (and stayed for 3 days). It isn't a tumor, clot or bleeding. It isn't West Nile, Swine Flu or Bacterial Meningitis. It isn't calcium, magnesium, iron or potassium deficiency. I'm not diabetic and my sugars are just fine. I'm not dehydrated and it isn't a migraine.

They did a spinal tap, MRI, CT scan and drew about 80000000 tubes of blood. They did find slightly elevated white blood cell count in my spinal fluid and slightly low sugars in my spinal fluid, but not enough to diagnose viral meningitis.

The night I was in the ER, there were 7 other people there with headaches, so I'm wondering if it is something going around or if my brain is broken.

So far nothing has worked to reduce the pain. Traditional migraine meds made it worse, ibuprofen doesn't work, narcotic pain meds make it worse and massage hasn't helped much.

I need ideas to help get through this and reduce the pain.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

sorry I don't have any ideas, but I just wanted to send you some gentle hugs and the hope that things will get better really, really soon....so sorry you are suffering so much
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so sorry you've been going through this too and I only have one small suggestion.

When the hot weather sets in, dryness can be a problem. I keep a Saline Nasal Spray next to me and use it often. In fact I have one next to me now, in my purse, next to my bed etc....

If your air conditioner is on that effects the moisture in your home too. If it's been sunny and beautiful (although I love it) those days just kill my head and I need to use the nasal spray often.

My Mom ( bless her) used to suggest this when I started getting migraines at puberty and although I tried it, I laughed it off too. But now I wouldn't be far away from it.

I hope this can help, even just a little bit.

4. Elisa

Elisa Member

I am so sorry about your aweful headache. I know how frustrating pain can be and disheartening...

Just a few ideas or things to try:

Headache Acupressure Point - see link

Arnica - a homeopathic remedy

Tart Cherries or Tart Cherry Juice

Turmeric or Curcumin

Powdered Magnesium in Hot water - sold here called Calm.

Plenty of water (at least half your body weight in ounces) - hydration is big for pain management.

Dr Weil has breathing exercises

Donna Eden's Energy Medicine

Reiki Message

EFT - Emotional freedom Technique for headaches - can be googled

Self message of neck and back

All I can think of for now - I hope your pain just disappears!!!!

God Bless You,

PS Check foods for MSG or aspartame - there is a list on-line of all the names for MSG. Check what you eat the most of or anything you are eating or taking (supplements etc) new since the headache started.

[This Message was Edited on 05/31/2009]
  5. trini23

trini23 New Member

When I was younger I never had one, after a car hit us when I was pregnant 10 years ago, I suffer from them....reg headaches and especially migraines are regular everyday life for me.
    But I also found out what creates some of it, when the weather changes I'm sensitive to the barometer change, it causes some migraines for me as well as MSG.

I now make sure I read labels, I used to eat cheetos, doritos and some progressive soups and never understood why I had migraines afterward, I didn't even know I was sensitive to MSG, I had eaten those types of foods for a long time, but since my own symptoms have gotten worst I find certain foods are just a no no, unless I want to suffer.
    hope you find out soon, I'll be praying for you,

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Lately, i've been having excruciating headaches. (not migraines either) I really truly thought something was going to explode in my head (not kidding). Doc sent me for CTscan immediately and no bleeding or anything. I got my shot of Demerol, which helped break the 4 day headache I was having but didn't make it go totally away.

Talked to my Doc again recently and she agreed that 3-4 headaches a week is way too many - she told me to see a neurologist as they have new ways to treat. i.e. botox etc.

One day I felt the horrible vice grip headache coming on and I took a half of a Klonapin. It actually helped! I dont know if it relaxes the blood vessel constriction or what, but when I feel a bad one coming on, it has helped.

I've even been on Topamax which is supposed to keep headaches away. Nope - not for me - but for some it's very helpful. Has that been mentioned to you?

The migraine meds won't work if it's not a migraine.
  7. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Just wanted to say I hope you feel better very soon and that something is figured out
    to get rid of your headache.

I have had headaches for over 20 yrs , sometimes daily and sometimes not.

Glad your test results came back good.

What part of your head is the headache located?

Gentle hugs, Susan
  8. MandaJ

MandaJ New Member

I have copied down your suggestions and will try them. I'm allergic to Demerol, but the doctor did mention that can help some headaches.

I saw my GP again today and she is sending me to see a neuro, but they don't have any openings for two more weeks. They did put me on the cancellation list since my case is pretty serious.

I also started shaking last night and I've lost some motor function in my legs, so my GP is really worried.

At least my fibro is in check right now. Or maybe it isn't and I haven't noticed since my darn head hurts so much.