Would a Tooth Problem Cause a Flare?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Feb 11, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Hi All,
    I was wondering if having a tooth pulled would cause a flare?

Last Friday I found out I had a nasty abcess and the tooth needed to be removed right away. So, I got the tooth pulled on Friday afternoon and I ended up with a dry socket (infection).

Would all of this cause a flare because I'm feeling worse than dirt right now. LOL.

I'm sure it doesn't help we have YET ANOTHER storm coming in to give us 3-7" of that godawful white stuff again.
  2. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

a pulled tooth causes stress and anxiety on the body and flares are quite possible

I too am dreading having my teeth done I neeed 14 extractions as i wound upper denture am sick of broken, chipped teeth but dont react well too going to the dentist in the first place

Have been delaying it all and memories of the last time when I nearly fainted on having a tooth extracted does not HELP

nagel hugs

3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

You had an infected tooth. i'm sure the infection spread in your body with the extraction. it doesn't take much to push our bodies over the magic stress quotient.

And YES, the barometric changes can also cause flares with arthritis, so I don't see why they couldn't also cause flares with the FM. (I'm assuming you are talking about FM, right???)

I'm dealing with a flare right now that was caused by my dog AGAIN! This time, he managed to get out of his harness and ran away in the dark. I was on my electric mobility scooter when it happened. It was dusk, so I had to turn the lights on the scooter-----which made the batteries get drained very quickly. I had to go home and get my car. i was going up and down the streets squeeking Rudy's toys and calling his name. Thank God a good samaritan found him running in the traffic on a busy 4 lane street and coaxed him into her car. She called and left a message on my answering machine that Rudy was safe. I cried so hard on the phone when i called her back that I doubt she could understand anything i was saying.

My entire body aches. my L. knee is so swollen as is my R. ankle. This is caused from sheer stress. Stress is a real bummer with RA.
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

A tooth extraction is a trauma to the body and with a dry socket on top of it, a flare is almost inevitable. Try to take it easy and rest as much as you can for a few days to give yourself a fighting chance. Hope you heal soon--

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Monica, if the tooth was infected, the infection probably wasn't localized. I assume you're on an abx? If so, they can also cause flares.

And if you're like me, drastic changes in weather contribute too. :>(

Get lots of rest and drink lots of water.