Would EBV Early Antigen be positive if reactivated?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz9601, Feb 11, 2006.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I had some lab work done and the doc just did the EBV Early Antigen, it was negative, would this have been positive if I was reactivated? Anyone know? Thanks

He didn't do the other tests, just the EA..can this tell me anything??? [This Message was Edited on 02/11/2006]
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

for our phlebotomist, MCD??? Or ???? Anne
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

This is from the CDCs website on Epstein Barr antibodies. I think it's important to look at the whole panel, not just one antibody test.

Jan

Reactivation
    In the presence of antibodies to EBNA, an elevation of antibodies to early antigen suggests reactivation. However, when EBV antibody to the early antigen test is present, this result does not automatically indicate that a patient's current medical condition is caused by EBV. A number of healthy people with no symptoms have antibodies to the EBV early antigen for years after their initial EBV infection. Many times reactivation occurs subclinically.

IgM to the viral capsid antigen appears early in infection and disappears within 4 to 6 weeks. IgG to the viral capsid antigen appears in the acute phase, peaks at 2 to 4 weeks after onset, declines slightly, and then persists for life. IgG to the early antigen appears in the acute phase and generally falls to undetectable levels after 3 to 6 months. In many people, detection of antibody to the early antigen is a sign of active infection, but 20% of healthy people may have this antibody for years.

4. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Thanks guys..

If my early antigen was negative then what would be the point in doing the rest of the panel cause I know I have had it in the past cause I have had high IGG antibodies..but it I were reactivaed I thought Early antigen would be positive and it is not.

Is it possible to be reactivated so long that the EA went negative again?

Thanks for any help..this is all so confusing and I am not sure a lot of docs understand it, ya know?
  5. suz9601

suz9601 Member

That's kind of what I thought. Sorry I stated it backwards. I appreciate your help and rocky too.