Would having a tooth pulled cause me to crash like this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WendyC, Feb 6, 2010.

1. WendyC

WendyC New Member

Hi everyone, haven't posted in a while I have been pretty functional with the occasional flare. Recently had to have a molar pulled and what a crash I am in! I am wondering what to do to get back to functional. :-( What do I do? Should I support methylation more? detox? Olive leaf for infections? Not sure, any advice would be great!

The tooth did have a mercury filling but the filling was removed about 2 weeks before (that's when the crack was discovered). I did notice mercury staining on the edges of the capped tooth in front of it? Should I do some sort of detox? Methionine?[This Message was Edited on 02/06/2010]
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Wendy.

What type of anesthesia did you have? Was it one of the "...caines" by injection, or did you have nitrous oxide ("laughing gas")?

The former are usually injected together with adrenaline (epinephrine) to constrict the blood vessels and keep the anesthetic localized longer, but some people have difficulty detoxing adrenaline, and it can auto-oxidize to form adrenochrome, which can produce redox cycling in a person with certain polymorphisms, and that can contribute to increasing the already present oxidative stress in CFS, perhaps leading to a crash.

On the other hand, if it was nitrous oxide, that is known to react with B12, inactivating it. For a person who already has a partial methylation cycle block, this can make it worse, depleting glutathione further, and also therefore increasing the oxidative stress.

I hope things get better for you soon. I know you are well aware of the methylation treatments.

Best regards,

3. WendyC

WendyC New Member

This getting old crap is for the birds (as my Mom says). Rich, I am glad you saw my post, was hoping you would. I had the former and now that you mention it, I was shaking all over when he pulled the darn thing. Well, sort of pulled, it cracked and had to removed piece by piece. Not pleasant. What do you think of extra B12 and glutathione? Thanks

4. WendyC

WendyC New Member

Wow, it sounds like you have some ways to go with your teeth. I am in a similar situation. More work to go but not right now. I can't take more work on my teeth! No wonder that movies present dentists as sadists! Lol. Little shop of Horrors anyone?

5. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Glad I saw your post. I have an appointment to get a tooth pulled in ten days or so. I'm expecting to flare (I have FMS). I always flare after dental appointments. I think it's because I'm in the chair with my muscles tensed for a period of time and that causes me to flare. Just my theory.

I agree, this getting old is for the birds :) And it's not going to get better. Just worse. Ain't that a cheery thought? hahaha. We're all in this together, WendyC. Keep your chin up.

6. WendyC

WendyC New Member

Yes, first it was cellulite, then gray hair, then the arm flap thing, now I am loosing my teeth! Time to join the red hats I guess. I hope things go better for you when you have the tooth pulled. Everyone told me not to worry, easy as pie. Have you ever made pie? Not really that easy. I am pie crust challenged. :)

7. jole

jole Member

You make me laugh...so true! I do have to say my teeth are getting bad all at once too. My dentist said it's from the medications. I'm on Lexapro, and he said it's really hard on teeth, plus all the others that dry out the mouth.

I had three pulled a few months ago, and need five fillings!! Just had them all done a year ago, and I watch what I eat, so he's got to be right about the meds...or it's these DDs causing it, not sure which.

Partials/bridges are so darn expensive, I'd almost rather just get them all pulled and over with, but the dentist won't do it, so guess I'll bite the bullet and get a partial. I have no teeth left on the bottom left to chew with, and only two on the right. Ahhhh...those golden years!!!

Edited to say yes, I did crash also. But like Fay, I think it was more due to the tension and anxiety perhaps? (I always said I got my money's worth out of the arms of their chairs!)
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2010]
  8. WendyC

WendyC New Member

You know, I have to wonder if bacteria or virus are eating our teeth? Does that sound crazy? I know that the mouth harbors bacteria. In my younger days I used to know a crazy but wonderful Irish guy that used to like to fight a bit too much and he almost lost his hand because of an infection after a fight. No I don't like the bad boys anymore, I know that I can't help them. They weren't totally bad though, most Irish boys are pretty darn nice and polite when they aren't drinking ;-)
  9. WendyC

WendyC New Member

Extra glutathione, another B12 shot and methionine, although I know I will be detoxing/herxing tomorrow, but I have a plan ::)
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

I have had to have 3 different teeth pulled in the last few years.

I don't know what type of shots that I had to numb the area, but I know that I also had nitrous oxide.

Having the tooth pulled, each time, never caused me to have a flare with my fibro.

I had to pre-medicate with antibiotics and then continue taking them afterward due to having an artificial joint in my body. But I don't think that that would make any difference.
  11. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I really have to believe that something triggered my crash. I don't crash. I am high functioning after numerous treatments and constant supplements. I do flare but generally do not completely crash. Sure I have good days/bad days but this was an extended bad flare that ended in complete exhaustion/weakness. I did take the supplements to try and jump start but ended up having a bad night and feel no better today. Time and rest hopefully will turn this around. The tooth pull also prompted a bad period, first one in over a year. So maybe that compounded the problem too. Oh well, back to the couch.
  12. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I felt much better today, I am taking extra B12 and B vitamins, glutathione, CoQ10 and methionine tonight. I expect to feel bad tomorrow. I will continue this on/off for a week and see how I feel. After that olive leaf extract for a week or two. :)
  13. WendyC

WendyC New Member

Thanks for the reply. I am getting better slowly and I have been to work all week. I am continuing to pulse the detox supplements and will had cholestyramine to help move things out of my intestines. Olive leaf next week.

Didn't you post a question about horses? I have two but am not well enough to ride anymore. Hubby does most of the work. I have been looking for a home for the two but in this economy noone wants horses. I did ride regularly a bit back but have rebounded since my first year of recovery 2006 or so.

I am thinking of going on the anti-virals again. I am resting but am not feeling rested. Luckily school vacation is next week, I am a teacher. I read somewhere, that teachers are 10 times more likely to come down with an autoimmune disease. Makes you think.