would like information on klonopin/benzo family

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibolady, Nov 24, 2002.

1. fibolady

fibolady New Member

regarding post recently (famous klutzo!) about in the long run it not helping our stage 4 sleep.

here i am taking klonopin to help get to sleep with the ambien. the ambien i had been taking for years and was having to take 2 to get any results. you can do some weird things when you take 2 ambien are still get up, i won't go into any details. save it for a humorous post. doctor said try klonopin for anxiety. it helped a great deal (especially during the day with sensory overload)when out in the real world.

tonight i have taken 100 mg and wide awake, not sleepy at all, and last night did the same thing and still had to take 2 ambien. no caffeine today either.

now, if this klonopin is only going to be a bandaide and then interfer with stage 4, i better get off it now. of course, doctor never told me that. but what could i take to get me "calmed down" a bit. does anyone else have this problem? believe me, breathing does not calm me down enough to sleep. nervous at birth i think. it really is not the pain keeping me up as this week i am doing well with the pain.

i can't afford to stay up late into the night, because the less sleep i have, after a few days, i always flare bad. at this point i would like to just take a qualuade (do they still rx those?) i've taken my epsom bath and should be ready for sheep.

any insight into this benzo questions or helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

warm regards, fibolady
  2. fibolady

fibolady New Member

regarding post recently (famous klutzo!) about in the long run it not helping our stage 4 sleep.

here i am taking klonopin to help get to sleep with the ambien. the ambien i had been taking for years and was having to take 2 to get any results. you can do some weird things when you take 2 ambien are still get up, i won't go into any details. save it for a humorous post. doctor said try klonopin for anxiety. it helped a great deal (especially during the day with sensory overload)when out in the real world.

tonight i have taken 100 mg and wide awake, not sleepy at all, and last night did the same thing and still had to take 2 ambien. no caffeine today either.

now, if this klonopin is only going to be a bandaide and then interfer with stage 4, i better get off it now. of course, doctor never told me that. but what could i take to get me "calmed down" a bit. does anyone else have this problem? believe me, breathing does not calm me down enough to sleep. nervous at birth i think. it really is not the pain keeping me up as this week i am doing well with the pain.

i can't afford to stay up late into the night, because the less sleep i have, after a few days, i always flare bad. at this point i would like to just take a qualuade (do they still rx those?) i've taken my epsom bath and should be ready for sheep.

any insight into this benzo questions or helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

warm regards, fibolady
  3. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

I take Klonopin twice a day...one in the morning with my morning meds (I have to take thyroid medicine, arthritis medicine and am on HRT) and I take one at bedtime with Benedryl (I take it for my allergies). I sleep like a baby. I used to take 2 Klonopin at bedtime without the Benedryl and didn't sleep well at all...I also sleep w/a CD of rain sounds...it's very soothing and restful. Another suggestion, don't go to bed until you are thoroughly tired and good and sleepy...you'll just toss and turn...I did, anyway. Just a little advice from my trial and error...it works for me, but this is not medical advice...check with your doctor about dosages...I wouldn't think you should have to take Klonopin and Ambien, too.
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

At one time I could use Benadryl to help me sleep, but then that no longer worked. I had tried Sonata, which gave me four hours of sleep, which seemed hardly worthwhile. Then I tried Ambien and was able to sleep longer.

When Ambien was only giving me 4-5 hours of sleep I added Xanax and that worked for a while. Finally I added Trazadone to the Ambien and that helped again, for a while. Last winter I went off Ambien and started on Klonpin and since then my sleep has been good. I also take Trazadone, Flexeril and Neurontin.

When I read your post I decided to read what was in the library on Klonopin. All I found was the often referred to article by Dr. Cheney on Klonopin. It makes perfect sense to me and even though I trusted my doc on this one I feel better having read it.

I have CFS and FM so this fit me to a T. I would suggest you also read the article and see what you think. I also wonder why your doc would have you on Ambien and Klonopin.

Barbara
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I don't know much about alot of these meds, but am wondering why you would be taking two anti-depressants? (Trazadone & Neurontin)I am sure there is a valid reason for it, but like I said, I don't know much about these types of meds.

Marilyn :)
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Go read the post titled 'Xanax', it goes into the Klonopin too, got to be a popular subject today!

Qualuade??? you are talking about a serious drug here! I was prescribed that once, I took half of what was prescribed, spent the night with a 'rerun' of my whole life! What a trip, never did sleep. Never took another one either, scary drug.

That also happened to me with Dilauded (sp), I tell you what, I honestly could not understand how people take drugs for 'kicks'! That was a 'one nightstand' too! Another night with a trip down memory lane!

When I told the doctor what happened, he actually though it was funny. He said if I ever decided to write an autobiography, that one of the above pills would get me going on a good start!

I have not heard of anyone on this board that those two drugs were prescribed for Fibro, thank God!

Shalom, Shirl
  7. fibolady

fibolady New Member

shirl, i got a good laugh this morning. still maybe klutzo would come on an clarify the klonopin disrupting the stage 4, or anyone that is knowledgeable. would really like to learn more about this. i surely do not want to "get worse" in the long run.

also, didn't i read to stay away from valium, as this is very bad for you in the long run. is this in the same group.

yes, i feel like a truck ran over me last night. i should have known from being all keyed up last night. oh, by lunch it will be better.

warm regards, fibolady

p.s. pulled up the post on xanax, this answered most of the questions, thank you for the lead.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2002]
  8. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi ya Fibo :)
    The normal dose of Ambien, according to Dr. Teitelbaum is 1/2 to 1 ---10 mg. tab at bedtime. This is a short acting drug which some prefer, (less hangover in the morn) But usually only lasts 4-6 hrs. He suggest leaving 1/2 tab next to bed with a glass of water. Dr. Teitelbaum cautions never to take more than two at a time. Doses over 15mg. do not improve sleep, and he has seen bad side effects.

I've been taking Klonopin for about 3 wks. now. I know my stage 4 sleep has improved over this time. I was on elavil, and flexeril, before. I woke up at least 20 times a night on these. Now I am sleeping like a baby---all nite, and waking feeling much better. The added benefits I have gotten besides improved sleep is less sensory overload, less anxiety, and NO more restless leg syndrome. I also before taking the klonopin---had a racing mind while trying to go to sleep. This has stopped, also. Each of us react so differently, though.
    Marilyn-Neurontin is primarily used in the management of seizure disorders. Does have reported pain management benefits in nerve pain.
    Best wishes,
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2002]
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

It was the Director of the local Sleep Disorders Institute who told me that all of the benzodiazepines eliminate Satge 4 sleep, so they are "robbing Peter to pay Paul", as they say. He made the remark in reference to my taking Xanax nightly, and Restoril on special occassions when I needed to be close to "normal" the next day.
    My sleep study was done with Restoril in my system because I cannot sleep in strange places without it. Sure enough, I had zero Stage 4 sleep. I still got Stage 3 sleep, which is also deep sleep, but 40% of it was overlayed with Alpha waves (the classic Alpha-Delta Sleep Anomoly that signifies FMS).
    I am as baffled as you are about this, as I think I sleep so much better with Xanax. Without it, it takes me at least 90 mins. to fall asleep (I also have a disorder called Delayed Sleep Phase Onset) and then I wake up every 90 mins. thereafter. With Xanax I fall asleep in about 15 mins. and wake up 2-3 times nightly. With Restoril, I sleep for 6 hrs. solid without waking,and feel almost normal the next day.
    The doctor was saying that not getting Stage 4 sleep in the long run will perpetuate FMS symptoms. I have had FMS for 17 yrs., so maybe taking Xanax every night is part of the problem. A websearch on "sleep disorders" + benzodiazepines, or similar wording should yield some articles or studies that go into this in more detail.... Sorry, I am not familiar with the mechanism by which this works, but was just repeating what the sleep expert told me.
    KLutzo
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Neurontin is not an antidepressant; it is an antispasmodic/antiseizure medication as is the Klonopin.

Love, Mikie
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I looked up Neurontin on the net before I responded because I didn't want to say the wrong thing, and every site I went to said it was either a mood drug or anti-depressant. It also said other things, as was mentioned above.

12. teach6

teach6 New Member

I am taking neurontin for iit's pain relieving properties, not for anything having to do with moods. Likewise I have read that Trazadone is not much when it comes to antidepressants, but it is great for prolonging sleep, once you finally get there. That is why I take it.

Before you ask about why I take both Klonopin and Neurontin, I take Klonopin to help me sleep and also because it has improved my problem with restless legs and also my TMJ. Last fall I was in constant pain from TMJ and had to resort to a diet of soft foods. Once I began taking Klonopin that was no longer necessary.

Besides, I do find my brain racing, when it's not drifting of to sleep, so the Klonopin helps with that problem also.

Barbara
  13. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Unless I use a med myself, I never bother looking them up. I've heard these specific drug names brought up often, so finally my curiosity peaked!!

14. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

look up protracted benzodiazepene withdrawel, also I posted about this a while back back close to when I first found this board, it is a very serious concern, you are not actually getting stage 4 sleep, it just seems like it.

I will search & bump it, I am doing several searches right now and I am on mommy in law's computer so I will not be on for my usual 6 hours a day.

Jaci