Would like to hear....chronic Sinus trouble

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Oct 28, 2002.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi to all today....hope your all doing well~
    I have yet another sinus infection!!well it seems like the same one thats been bugging me since september!!Has any of you's ever had a stubborn one?I was put on ceftin last month(an antibiotic)and it never felt gone....better for awhile but still there.Then the first week of Oct. I went to dentist with a toothache and he did X-rays and said that the tooth I was pointing too looks fine,but he asked about my sinus's and I told him:"yeah,I took antibiotics but I still feel like crap,"so he gave me 10 days on pennicillin.That script ran out about 10 days ago.Well the last few nights i've been so stuffy that I can barely breathe!and I can feel the pain slightly in the cheeks,but more in the eyes and temples and the brow area.What the hell!!I'm a bit scared here!!Why did'nt those antibiotics work?Any tips on what help you with yours?and....does my description sound like its sinus's?wondered if it could be allergys,or even tension headaches??Thanks everyone!
    Tracey
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi to all today....hope your all doing well~
    I have yet another sinus infection!!well it seems like the same one thats been bugging me since september!!Has any of you's ever had a stubborn one?I was put on ceftin last month(an antibiotic)and it never felt gone....better for awhile but still there.Then the first week of Oct. I went to dentist with a toothache and he did X-rays and said that the tooth I was pointing too looks fine,but he asked about my sinus's and I told him:"yeah,I took antibiotics but I still feel like crap,"so he gave me 10 days on pennicillin.That script ran out about 10 days ago.Well the last few nights i've been so stuffy that I can barely breathe!and I can feel the pain slightly in the cheeks,but more in the eyes and temples and the brow area.What the hell!!I'm a bit scared here!!Why did'nt those antibiotics work?Any tips on what help you with yours?and....does my description sound like its sinus's?wondered if it could be allergys,or even tension headaches??Thanks everyone!
    Tracey
  3. marinemom

marinemom New Member

I'm going to explain it to you the way my doctor explained it to me. The antibiotic is to kill the infection. The infection was caused by fluid. You have to get rid of the fluid.

Whenever I feel a sinus problem coming on, I take two sudafed and 600-800 mg. of advil (store brand on both)every 4-6 hours as needed. As soon as I start to feel relief, I continue for 2 more days just to make sure all the fluid and inflamation is gone. The sudafed drains the sinus while the advil relieves the inflamation. I also take an antibiotic too, if needed. But usually, if I catch it quick enough, the first two is all I need.

I also use this for my 12 year old son too. He suffers from sinus related to allergies. This mixture helps him better than anything else.

Good luck to you.

Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2002]
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi Tracey,
    I do everything Kathy does plus I ABSOLUTELY NEVER, repeat NEVER, blow my nose. I have had hay fever & sinus problems since I was a small child, and my allergist gave me that advice. He said that people with allergic rhinitis are more prone than most to sinus infections, and that blowing your nose is the fastest way to guarantee that you will get one. At the first sign of congestion break out the sudafed and take two every 4 hours. Stay away from nasal sprays. They will make it worse over the long run. Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Kathryn
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm sorry you're so miserable! I had years of chronic sinus problems; oddly, that was before my FM started, and I actually seem to have the sinus thing under control now. I believe your doctor needs to send you for a sinus cat scan, since two rounds of antibiotics have failed to make you feel better. A sinus cat scan is painless (I've had several over the years) & it will tell your doctor what's actually going on in there, if there's fluid,swelling or a blockage, etc. I know from experience that it can take several weeks of antibiotics & even steroid treatment for a severe sinus infection, but before you do all that, you're better off scanning the sinuses & finding out what's really going on. Good luck, Tracey & hope you feel better soon.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Heres someone who finally got rid of bad sinus infections. I tried everything give or take that you are taking, including half the OTC drugs. The only thing that helped a little was Tylenol Sinus. BUT it keep coming back. This went on for about 15 years, ever since I had Fibro I had sinus problems big time.

I read a book called; 'ABC of Asthma, Allergies & Lupus' by 'F. Batmanghelidj, MD. According to this doctor sinus infections is caused by a lack of drinking water, and a lack of salt in your diet. He claims that most Americans are dehydrated.

Well, I was no water drinker, in fact I only drank water to take a pill, never just drank water.

I started drinking half my body weight in ounces of water per day, and took a quarter spoon full of sea salt through out the day. It took about 10 days, this is about a year ago now. I rarely have sinus attacks anymore, and if I get one it only last a couple of hours, where before I would get them four to five times a week, some days the attacks would go on for days.

This does not cost anything, and it worked for me and a few other on the board. So give it a try! Can't hurt.

The website is; watercure.com/intro.htm

There is a lot of information on water there, and the only thing they are selling is the books.

It also seem to clear up some of my 'Fibro Fog' by drinking the water too.

Hope this helps, I used to dread those attacks, now I rarely get them anymore.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2002]
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

and couldn't shake the sinus infections. I had the CT scan of the sinuses. They finally prescribed what they call "the Z pack" and that took care of it. Of course, here it is six weeks later and I have just been put back on it for another sinus infection. Use to be I would get just a simple cold, now it goes into my ears, glands, throat and ends up as a sinus infection. I also take Allegra every day for allergies. Hope you find something that works good for you.

Dara
  8. sybil

sybil New Member

chronic sinusitis,basically because my sinuses would not drain and i had a deviated septum.every winter i would get nose bleeds and infected sinuses which in turn would end up giving me chest infections and chronic headaches and migraines.
    in 2001 i had a septoplasty to straighten my septum and had a larger hole drilled into my sinuses.
    i have been fine since,but it is surgery not to be embarked upon lightly,as it is extremely painful.i bled for 2 weeks and had a plastic splint up my nose for 10 days.i felt like i had been hit in the face with a brick!
    good luck!

sybilxxx
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I've gotten a few great suggestions from you's.I suppose I should get a scan of the sinus's since I get so many infections,headaches.I"ll call my primary dr. this week~Untill then I'll try the increased water intake,and the tylenol Sinus/sudefed.I'm holding up OK,its just very aggravating being so stuffed,congested and having the face pain and headaches!Thanks all....have a great day~
    Love,
    Tracey
  10. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Frequent sinus problems here. Docs have noticed that Z-pack works well for me. Knocks it out in 5 days. Just an insight.
    Soft hugs. Painful I know. Good luck with what works best for you!
  11. sybil

sybil New Member

don't let them prescribe nasal steroids,as they can make the problem a whole lot worse by thinning the blood vessels in the nasal passages and causing nose bleeds which lead to infection.i took Beconase,a nasal steroid, for about 5 years,when i used to have hayfever back in the early 60s/70s and the ENT doctor told me that had probably contributed to my sinus problems,

sybilxxx
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

to go to the drs and insist on a Z-pak!!The other 2 antibiotics were a waste of time and money.And i've heard a few say that the Z-pak works best.I just went out and bought some tyl.sinus.....hope it helps some~
    thanks again......
    Tracey