Would you be able to go out on a ski boat?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kytriplets, Mar 10, 2006.

1. kytriplets

kytriplets New Member

I am just coming out of what the doctors believe is a FM flare. It is the first time the pain completely stopped my world from spinning. I wasn't functional at all. I'm feeling better now that my doctor has started me on cymbalta.

My question is... before all this happened we were on track to buy a ski boat. My family loves to go out on the lake. Now I have doubts that I could manage the bumps and waves of the lake without terrible pain.

During your non-flare times would you be able to go out on a ski boat without terrible pain?

2. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

By the time I walked down the dock, I would be exhausted and in pain again. The wakes on the water would kill me and then they would have to turn around and either drop me off while they have fun, or they would have to leave me at home like I am now. My whole family bowls and I used to. Now I cant even go watch them because I cant stand up for more than a few min. and I cant sit in those plastic chairs so now I stay home alone. Maybe a row boat wouldnt be to bad if you stay near shore.

Suzette
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Kytriplets:
    For me, I would never dare try it and at my age it would just be funny seeing me try. But, I know I would flare with an exercise such as that. Happy sailing!
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  4. marilynb

marilynb New Member

We have a 23LSV Malibu Wakeboard boat & my husband "lives at the lake" EVERY weekend from March or April till September or October. I don't go out much at all. I try to go out on holiday weekends & stay as long as I can. I will sometimes last through the day, but will usally go home alone after we have had dinner. (We keep our boat at the marina & have a lot of slip neighbors with larger boats, so my husband will usually sleep on one of their boats) I have occasionaly slept overnight, but when I wake up I usually feel really horrible & after breakfast, I will have to go home & spend the rest of the day in bed. My family likes to surf behind the boat, so we usually don't go very fast, except for having to drive across the lake to get to our party cove. We tie up with all our friends boats & get in the water to stay cool. I can not swim, but will put on my life jacket & get in the water. Most of the time, getting in the water helps me feel better. It's almost like a water therapy. It's just being able to handle a whole day being there. My husband gets upset because I don't come out more. He feels like he is the only one there that doesn't have their spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend but then he loves it so much, he cannot stay away. That is what he lives for. So unfortunatly, I am usually home alone on weekends during the summer.

So, I guess it depends on your family whether you get a boat or not. We did buy ours before I was sick, but now my husband is so into it, he can't/won't give it up.

To the person with the boats... What kind of ski/wakeboard boat do you have? Does your family surf behind your boat? It is really cool to see this. My 5 year old granddaughter surfs with my husband & also my son. See loves it. Just seeing that is worth going out, if I am up to it.

Good luck on your decision.

Marilyn