Would you be mad at this doctor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I have been going to the same pcp for about 8 years

It seemed that he starting to chalk every symptom up to FMS or CFS

For instance, I started having fast heart rate and he was not concerned. I went to a cardiologist, and he suggested getting off Effexor, which I have done and I feel better

I told my pcp I went to an internist for second opinion on "stuff" and he appeared highly insulted

I told him this internist suggested I be tested for Lupus. PCP said, "I am sure you have been tested for it 5 times".. I said, please check your records. He did, no indication of the Lupus test, so he drew blood for the test
    and then said "you are just like every other FMS patient, wanting it to be something else"

At first, I was not upset, because it is true!!! But after thinking about this statement, I am a little ticked!

Should I be???
  2. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

YES!. Especially when he said "you are just like every other FMS patient, wanting it to be something else"

Of course we do, because FM is so intangible.

I go to a lot of doctors because I want to rule out what hurts vs FM. So now I know I have OA of the knees and it is not FM. So now I know I have high blood pressure and it is not FM. So now I know I have degenerative disc disease of the back and it is not FM.

And I think that when you go to a doctor for a long time, they become compacent. If you can go to other doctors, or another PCP for a review of you, I think you should do it. Second (and third) opinions are not bad ideas!

Good luck, Empower, use your screen name and stand up for yourself and your health!

3. Empower

Empower New Member

I know! I just saw the segment on Oprah about a women that had unexplained weight gain, and her long time doctor "poo pooed" it

Turns out she had 140 lb tumor!~~~~~~!!!!!
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I thought it was pretty routine to screen for lupus if you presented with FM or CFS?

In other words, shouldn't this have been done a while back?
  5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

he said it, not so much what he said. He sounds like he's impatient and frustrated with all of us as a group, not at you personally. I think he's right about us wishing it was something else we have but he didn't have to say it like that or say it at all. It was kind of rude of him.

I'd just let it go though. I don't think he meant to hurt your feelings. Maybe he just needs some Sensitivity Training. :)

6. Empower

Empower New Member

I really couldn't remember whether I had been tested for Lupus b4, but when a recent ANA test came back positive, the doc I went to for 2nd opinion suggested the Lupus test

Thanks God, it was negative

Anyway, yes it was the way he said it to me

7. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

I would be cross. what they don't seem to realise is that not everything is just fms or cfs and that there are underlying symptoms to our problems. CFS and fibro are syndromes which means they include a whole variety of symptoms and if we get to the underlying problem then some symptoms can be rectified.

When are docs going to start realising there are other things that can be done to help us.

I often feel they either think I'm a hypochondriac or that I'll never give up looking for an answeer.

It's not necesasrily that we want it to be somethign else - it's that there might be clues as to what can help us.

After having my adrenal stress index test done and stool analysis I am now seeing how vital it is to do the right tests. Cortisol is helping me lots which I would never be on if I didn't have these tests.
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

I will never give up either, not looking for a cure, but looking for relief!~~~~