Would you believe they sold out of regular gas here!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jo29, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

Some person on the radio was telling people to buy all of the gas they could because there was going to be a shortage because of Katrina.

My daughter came home and said at the station in our little town that the regular gas was all sold out!!! I have never seen that in all of the years I have lived here.

I personally don't believe this.

Jo
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

back in (?) . . oh, oh, what year was it? We had a really bad shortage and there was rationing, etc. It had to have been either in late 60's or early 70's. I know that costs will soar due to the problems in the gulf.

Jeannette
  3. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

A station here ran out of regular too. Sure hope the prices don't go higher.
    cindy
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

within a day or two and was wondering if he should top off all the gas tanks.

Then he said we didn't need much, so we decided just to leave everything the way it was.

We are very lucky that my husband isn't but 15 minutes from work.

I know so many that are seriously hurting from these prices, though.

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

This morning on TV they said that several gas stations were told to shut down some of their pumps because of a potential shortage!!! I thought someone on the radio had just caused a run on gas here.

I haven't been out this morning to see if the sign is still up, but on the news,Indianapolis, they said that not everyone (gas staions) will be getting gas!

Is this happening anywhere else besides Indiana (not including the states directly hit by Katrina)?

As of last night our gas, premium, had gone from 2.59 a gal to 2.75. Don't know what it is this morning yet.

Jo
  6. gnanny

gnanny New Member

In the 70's when we had gas rationing my husband and I owned a small mom pop grocery store with the gas pumps out front. What a nightmare that was. We could only get a percentage of what we had pumped in the same time fram the year before. Our customers were our friends and neighbors, every one of them hoping we could 'help' them out. People lining up out of our door who couldnt or wouldnt beleive we had no more gas. They would watch us after dark just sure they would catch us fueling up our own cars.
    It was ugly.
  7. Megumi

Megumi New Member

I heard a news teaser this evening that some gas stations may be running out of gas. I can't believe that!! But, I know I won't be able to stay up to watch the news so guess I'll find out in the morning.

Our gas jumped 20 cents today...was 2.59 this morning, 2.79 tonight.

Sure am glad I have a Geo!!!!!
  8. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

our premium gas is 3.33 a gal. It seems that Indiana is higher than other states. Wonder why.
    Jo
  9. sareybeen

sareybeen New Member

My husband just called me and said I should go fill up, then go to the shop and get his truck and fill up. 3 stations in town are already out, and prices are expected to soar past 4.00/gallon by tomorrow. Southside Atlanta. Of course, we were tornadoes by Katrina, and commutes here are horrible. That may have something to do with it!

Good luck,
    Sara
  10. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Otherwise, I would be taking him to school and driving home and picking him up and taking him to golf and then going back to get him. With him driving, it shaves about 60 miles a day of the back and forth thing.

There is no bus since he goes to private school in another town.

It was up to $2.79 yesterday but I found $2.69 today.
  11. sofy

sofy New Member

I was living in europe thanks to the us military and had taken a train trip to Rome. (In Europe they have public transportant almost everywhere)

Gas rationing was in so on Sunday no one in Rome was allowed to drive their car except taxis. We got off the train and took a taxi to find a hotel and enjoyed the drive thru this quiet small town of Rome.

Then we woke up Monday morning to a billion cars on the road of a hugh city.

Its amazing what can happen overnight. Im still sorry I didnt realize what a treasure Sunday was and get out and soak up the quiet a little more.

Im not sure but I think gas was $3 a liter back then, at least it was astronomical to American stationed there. I learned that I didnt need to drive everywhere to live and enjoy life.
  12. dshines

dshines New Member

This definitely looks ugly. I drove by a station this morning on my way to get the oil changed and 2 hours later went by the same place and the gas went from 2.99 to 3.49 for the regular unleaded. Drove for about 20 minutes(by my house) and found the cheapest station left at 2.99 ...The owner said they would change the price in the afternoon...Currently the change has jumped to 3.29 a gallon. Hate to see how much further this may go up

deb
  13. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I live in Chicago and I paid $2.92/gallon last Thursday to fill my little VW gas tank - for a whopping $38. This was for regular - special and extra were well over $3.10 - now all 3 levels are well over $3 in the city. It is better in the burbs but it is unreal to me.

I feel awful for the people and the families that are suffering from Katrina and I understand that a large percentage of our gas comes from the gulf. But I have a hard time beleiving that the price of gas can go up instaneously as a result of this tragedy? We have no gas in reserve and all the stations in the whole country are running out of gas instantly. I want to beleive that there are more good gas stations owners/company owners then bad cheating ones...but it is hard not to think that there is a lot of price gouging going on.

I know for a fact that the Govenor of Illinois has caught and fined many gas station owners for falsely inflating prices for their own profits here in Illinois. And now the truckers are complaining about gas prices too so now all of our food and other consumer goods are going to go up in price too as a result of the gas going up.

I know I am rambling here but it just angers me to no end that there are so many people profiting from this tragedy. Ok - the gas companies need to raise prices - I get it, but what about them donating part of their profits to the victims of Katrina.

I work for the Chicago Mercantile Exchange - the violitilaty (sp) of the markets yesterday and today have set all kinds of new volume records for us. They are calling a special board meeting this week to approve a hefty donation to the victims as we did for the victims of the 9/11 tragedy - we are talking over $1 million. To me corporate america needs to put their money where their mouth is and step up to financially support these victims instead of just profitting from this tragedy.

Ok - I will get off my soapbox before I go into my rant about other countries not offering any monetary support for this when the U.S.A always does so immediately!

Thanks for listening to my rant!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/31/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/31/2005]
  14. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

Our gas prices here in Southern Oregon, yesterday were $2.78 and the gas station attendant told us that they were told by the owner that the price would probably go up everyday for the next couple of weeks at least.

I've been wondering what it's going to do to natural gas. Will it be cheaper this winter to heat with electric heaters or keep using the gas heat?

I was in Germany in the early 70's when they had the rationing, ex was in the army. We walked everywhere and I remember that gas was rationed over there also.
    I can't remember the price now but it was out of question to be able to pay for it on army pay.

I was only 19 years old then, lots of energy. I hate to think what I would do now. Not go anyplace I suppose.

Here I am rambling again, sorry.
    Take care, Twinkles :)