Would you leave your kids home alone??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaiasmom, Jan 5, 2006.

1. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I am shocked by the recent news story, from San Ramon (Bay area) CA. A couple flew to Las Vegas on Friday Morning, leaving their 5 year old autistic son with their 10 year old son. They were due to fly home on Tuesday, but their flight was cancelled due to weather. They did manage to get someone to come take care of their puppies though. So, they left a disabled 5 year old with a 10 year old boy, alone for 5 days & nights with only cereal & frozen dinners to eat.

It makes me sick to think about it. How could any parent do this? It sounds like the kids grandma would have been happy to babysit too, but she was not told about the trip. She is the one who discovered they were alone when she called to say hi & thought the boys were alone.

The icing on the cake, is that there is no law that says how old a child has to be to be left home alone. Just that the parent's responsibility is to determine if the child is responsible enough to be left alone. I do hope that the children are not returned to their care. Their parents are clearly not mentally competent enough to raise children.

Sorry for the long post, but I am outraged by this. I have 7 & 8 year old kids & would not leave them alone for 10 minutes, much less for days at a time.

When will there be a licensing process for having children??
  2. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

My son is ten and is pretty responsible for his age, but NEVER would I leave him alone. Anything could go wrong while they're home alone. I don't even know if at 14 I would feel safe leaving him alone. I have a three year daughter and my son is responsible with her, but she is not his responsibility whatsoever. How could a parent leave a 5 and 10 year old home alone? I agree with you this is a complete outrage. Children are God's blessings to us and we are their caretakers.
    Angela
  3. dononagin

dononagin New Member

crazy thing is these people are not too poor to afford a sitter!! Just too irresponsible to find one.
    I have a 15 year old at home. And while I'll let her stay home during the day I would never leave her overnight! Anything could have happened to these kids..

I had an employee one time who couldn't find a sitter and brought her baby to work with her. The baby was only months old and she left her in her car. She worked swing shift and had the other employees all staggering their breaks to go out to the car and check on her. Security caught on and the young lady was arrested for child endangerment. This was a poor single mom who would have lost her job for missing work.
    The people in the paper were wealthy.. He had a contracting business and she was a cosmetic dentist..

Your right.. you need a license to drive a car.. yet there is no training or testing that goes with being a parent.
    How crazy is that!
  4. KJH_10

KJH_10 New Member

I dont even have kids, but I know better than this. I do have a little brother who is 9 and a sister who is 13(she is very mature, a little mother hen!), and my dad will leave them home alone for a couple hours during the day, if he has to go out on a short shopping trip or something, but never overnight or for DAYS!!! People are crazzzy.
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i was mortified when i had heard about this law when my son wa 7 years old. here in novato california.....i was just at san ramon for my b-day on christmas...at some friends house...this is affluent community there...

when i had heard about that from a neighbor i had called the police station and then i so happened to have one in the neighborhood...

he state there is not statory age to requires you to leave your child alone...he said he wouldn't leave his alone until later in years but if something did happen to a child cps would get called and they would asess the situation...he said that for example a child that is let's say 10 years old could be more mentally mature than a 16 year old, or a mentally handicapped adult....

it is all situational...but the law is the law....we may not agree with it and it should change to be atleast 12 or older in my opinion....but i can not do it alone...

it is a crazy world out there...and unforanetly there are parents that must have latch key children or leave them alone at night so they can pay rent and food and basic necessaities....

in our county the the da's office is so inadequate and behind other states in collection child support and it is so so so difficult to make it here on a single parent income...

well i know this is not about living yor kids home alone for days at a time...and really isn't right or resposible of leaving our children home alone while your going to vegas.

dear lord i was trying to figure out if i should leave my honor roll student, athelete, non-drinkner,non-smoker, anti- drug and still a virgin which i know for sure, 16 yearold home alone while i went on a cruise for a week...well his father said he would come up and watch him while i went because we didn't want him to be alone...just incse something happened....

we don't have family here in california at all and we are divorced but we still need to protect our children....no matter what age they are...plus my son is 5'11' and 190 lbs...i guess you may say i am a little over protective..but i know he has been hit two times crossing th street on his bicyle just to go get a soda at the gas station about 50 yards away...hit and run and more than , never mind i don't want to get banned here...but they didn't even stop to make sure he needed help..thankfully he was not hurt...

thenhe had three hoodlums try to beat him up and steal his bicycle...they were all about 14 years old he was only 9 years old...he came and got his 6'3" 250lb buff dad and it all got settled...two of the kids have been thrown in juvy a few times setting fires etc....one turned out to be a football athlete he got straingtehnd up in time...

sorry to ramble here...

i just wanted to know law is correct yu can leave your kid home alone here at any age but it owuld get investigated if anything happens to them

california has messed up laws here...i checkout that website watchdogfamlily aobut rapist and pedaphiles...we have a lot around this country, all over us down the street everywhee you liv.

jodie
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i was mortified when i had heard about this law when my son wa 7 years old. here in novato california.....i was just at san ramon for my b-day on christmas...at some friends house...this is affluent community there...

when i had heard about that from a neighbor i had called the police station and then i so happened to have one in the neighborhood...

he state there is not statory age to requires you to leave your child alone...he said he wouldn't leave his alone until later in years but if something did happen to a child cps would get called and they would asess the situation...he said that for example a child that is let's say 10 years old could be more mentally mature than a 16 year old, or a mentally handicapped adult....

it is all situational...but the law is the law....we may not agree with it and it should change to be atleast 12 or older in my opinion....but i can not do it alone...

it is a crazy world out there...and unforanetly there are parents that must have latch key children or leave them alone at night so they can pay rent and food and basic necessaities....

in our county the the da's office is so inadequate and behind other states in collection child support and it is so so so difficult to make it here on a single parent income...

well i know this is not about living yor kids home alone for days at a time...and really isn't right or resposible of leaving our children home alone while your going to vegas.

dear lord i was trying to figure out if i should leave my honor roll student, athelete, non-drinkner,non-smoker, anti- drug and still a virgin which i know for sure, 16 yearold home alone while i went on a cruise for a week...well his father said he would come up and watch him while i went because we didn't want him to be alone...just incse something happened....

we don't have family here in california at all and we are divorced but we still need to protect our children....no matter what age they are...plus my son is 5'11' and 190 lbs...i guess you may say i am a little over protective..but i know he has been hit two times crossing th street on his bicyle just to go get a soda at the gas station about 50 yards away...hit and run and more than , never mind i don't want to get banned here...but they didn't even stop to make sure he needed help..thankfully he was not hurt...

thenhe had three hoodlums try to beat him up and steal his bicycle...they were all about 14 years old he was only 9 years old...he came and got his 6'3" 250lb buff dad and it all got settled...two of the kids have been thrown in juvy a few times setting fires etc....one turned out to be a football athlete he got straingtehnd up in time...

sorry to ramble here...

i just wanted to know law is correct yu can leave your kid home alone here at any age but it owuld get investigated if anything happens to them

california has messed up laws here...i checkout that website watchdogfamlily aobut rapist and pedaphiles...we have a lot around this country, all over us down the street everywhee you liv.

jodie
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

if you have children you should all call your local authorities to really find out what the statory age is to leave yor child home alone...

8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

the kids are with their Grandma that reported them.. I guess the kids wouldn't answer the phone or the door so the cops broke into the house and found the kids alone asleep with a fireplace going..
  9. Angie812

Angie812 New Member

I'm in FL and checked on this issue a couple of years ago. I called my local PD and DCF and was told by both that it was up to the parents to determine if the children are mature enough to handle being home alone. I don't agree with that at all and think it should be changed.
  10. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

The laws of some of these states can be down right crazy when it comes to some things. I would never leave me child alone, well I don't have any children myself but if I did I really wouldn't. I would take them to a trusted friend's home, or a family member that I could rely on and lastly a sitter to watch over them.

You just would never know what could happen while you are gone. A fire, some sort of emergency, it is just too scary to think of the possibilities that could happen.

Nicole