Would you like to join my Pity Party?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, May 5, 2008.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Saturday morning after finally shopping for flowers for my deck and retaining wall, I bent down to pick up something from the ground and tore my quadricep muscle in my right thigh.

Not a muscle pull......but a tear!

This is a serious injury usually done by athletes (which we all know I'm not) and usually takes surgery to fix. Not even arthroscopic surgery, the big kind. Not sure yet if I'll need it, have to go back to the doc again tomorrow.

I'm on crutches, and ouchie, that really hurts under my arms and as most of us know, we don't have much upper body strength anyway.

There is no position that isn't excruciatingly painful...walking is almost impossible, sitting is painful, the knee is effected because the quads hold the knee in place.

And...as if it isn't bad enough...my husband HAS to leave for a week in the states on Saturday so I'll be alone too...

Booo hooo, waaaaaaaah.....

I've got my crutches by my side, my Tylenol 3's...and my tissues....

Anybody coming over to join me? Germany is so beautiful this time of year...

2. Danille

Danille New Member

I lived in Hanau for 2 1/2 years in the mid 80's. I would love to come take care of you. My mother was half German so it felt natural to me to be there. If only I could take care of myself I would so be there!
    I will light a candle for you and wish you a speedy recovery.
  3. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I know someone that did this last yr. He had to have surgery and things did not go well. He is finally up and around after a whole yr, but still not 100%.

I hope that you have better luck. This is a very painful injury, so be good to yourself.

Feel better soon...
  4. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

And can I get you a cup of tea or something? We can all sit around and laugh and cry at all of our ooops and ummms.

You poor dear! That must be a horrible pain your having to deal with! Do you think that a walker might be easier to use than the crutches? And I hate that you have to be there by yourself.

I must say that you have a wonderful attitude over this. Most of us would not be able to come up with one wit of humor after such a painful injury.

(((((hugs))))) to you lady.
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I would love to come and spend a week with you in Germany, but don't think my family will part with me.....but thanks for the invite!

Would you want your daughter to come and stay with you? Just a thought....

Take care of yourself, sweetie, and I hope this heals quickly.
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

that is an horrendous thing to happen, such pain!!!

I hope you recover soon but I know these things take quite awhile.

Glad you're having some nice weather in Germany, we've just had two lovely days in a row here in Scotland - a winter of rain so hopefully the good weather will continue.

Take care of yourself, hope your pain meds work.

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hey! What happened to my post. I lost 3 posts yesterday. Probably pushed the wrong button cause I was distracted.

Hard to believe such an ordinary movement could cause such an injury. Certainly hope it heals up w/o surgery, Nancy.

8. ckball

ckball New Member

Oh I am so sorry, I know how you feel :-( When I herniated my disc it affeted my right FRONT thigh because it was L1. To this day I still have thigh pain.

When I had my foot surgery last Sept I used a small desk chair and walker with wheels. I can't do crutches, esp with 2 active dogs under my feet all day.

I would hold on to the back of the chair to get to the kit, sit while I nuked something then put whatever I wanted in the seat and push the chair back to the living room.

I would get the walker with wheels, it is much easier to use than crutches, you can get a better grip then hop and push yourself up to move. Some have little baskets on the front to carry things from room to room and are under $30-40 US dollars. It was a life saver for me, as I live alone.

I would love to come see Germany but don't even have a passport. You know we are all there in spirit. As someone else said, could your daughter come visit, a freind come by or a nieghbor that could help with groceries, mail ect.

I know how hard it is to be in pain and totally alone. Come here for your support, we all love you here and will worry about you. I would say take lots of hot baths but getting out of the tub would be difficult at best.

I hope you can find an answer for your week alone, just pray and have faith it will happen. Take care-Carla
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow!,,,,So sorry to hear of this bad luck! We just never know what's going to happen to us at any time!,,,,,,

can you get some extra padding for the crutches for the under arms?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Here's hopeing and praying that you don't have to have surgery!,,,,,,

I'll come over with Kathleen and everyone else and make you Tea and CC,,Cookies!,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,Sis,,,,Keep us posted,,,,and feel better!,,,,,,p.s. love your family photo!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/06/2008]
  10. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I'm sorry for your injury and the pain it's causing you. Wow! Things can happen so quickly! All of a sudden your plans for the Spring have changed.

Nancy, with the crutches, don't put the weight of your upper body on the crutches. You cannot rest your weight on that part of the crutch that fits under your arm. You must support your weight on your hands with each step you take. The part that fits under your arms is just to help balance you. At least this is my understanding. Personally, I cannot use the darn things. They cause me agony too. I'd go with the walker.

I pray you won't need the surgery. Healing thoughts and prayers are going up for you, Nancy.

11. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

That really must hurt! I'm so sorry Nancy. I would love to come visit and help ya out but I don't even have a passport or know much German. Even though my grandmother always yelled at me in German. LOL. I guess I could remember a few phrases but I don't think they are very nice. LOL.

Take care and I'll be sending good thoughts that you won't need surgery.
  12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Nancy ,

So sorry to hear about tearing your quadrecep muscle. Wow, how could that happen just bending down? Oh dear, but i have heard of others having similar experiences.

Yes, I would think that a walker might feel better for you, at least not be so painful anyway. You might ask about it. Be careful and take it easy. Sorry you have to be alone for a while. You can come and talk to us though (-: !!

Keep us posted. I hope you do not have to have surgery !!

Blessings and hugs,

13. caffey

caffey New Member

That hurts thinking about it. You deserve to have a huge pity party. Let me know what your fav. junk food is and I will send it to you. What about dvd's? Sending you lots of hugs. Hoping you won't need surgery. Keep us posted.
  14. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

I can't even leave you alone for a week and look what happens!!!!! <smile>

I read through the thread and the best idea was the wheelchair. That's what I did last year and what I'll be doing next week. I'll tell you want: whoever heals first catches a plane to the other to eat bon bons and watch old movies, k?

I really, really hope you feel better soon and this can repaired without open surgery. Nancy, I don't know what I'd do without you here spreading your wisdom. I can't even imagine the pain you must be feeling, but my heart hurts just knowing you are in physical pain, my friend.

15. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

We'll just turn this into a virtual pity party...I've got the whine, someone bring the cheese and pop corn!

Some of you may or may not already know that my 21 yr old daughter is mentally ill and married. But she came over last night to help out and wow, she really did.

I don't know if I can depend on her or not, but she did say she'll spend the week with me while my husband's gone. That was really good news as I was sitting here starting to cry because I couldn't even feed my dog and was feeling sorry for myself.

She is doing well on her meds right now so that's a relief too.

I've never seen her in a caretaker roll, as a kid when I was sick she's been known to forget about me lying in bed needing food so last night was a big surprise.

She basically came in, took over and just started helping out which was great because my husband has had to do everything for me for the last few days. He's already jet lagged from just getting home from the states 2 weeks ago.

This trip he has to take was canceled from the last trip he made, should have been done and over with already.

So...for those who have used a walker...do you need both legs? I'm not allowed to walk on my right leg at all, they're worried that I'll injure what's left of my quad muscle that way.

And I am using the crutches correctly, thanks for the reminders, but I think I'm pushing them into my side for support since I don't have much upper body strength so now I have really sore parts under my arms....you know how much things hurt us.

My husband took the day off today to help out and I think I'll have them move my furniture around to help me get around the house better. This might give me easier access to outside so I can enjoy this beautiful weather a bit and will make it easier to get to the bathroom.

I'll ask about a walker today at the doc's office and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again for everything...

Lenore, we must have been posting at the same time......so good to hear from you again!!![This Message was Edited on 05/06/2008]
  16. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Just wondering how you are doing, Nancy?

Happy Mother's Day!

I hope things are going well with your daughter helping you out. Take care and try to take it easy ..... I know that is easier said then done, right?

I'll be thinking about you, dear!
  17. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Thanks for checking in Monica.....although my updates are never simple. Life just isn't like that around here...

My daughter came to help out on Tuesday night since her husband is working night's this week.

She and my husband changed the furniture around for me which was very helpful. But on Wednesday night, she was in severe pain in her lower right abdomen and vomiting so off they went to the ER. They kept her until Thursday night until she could keep food down again.

Her husband checked on her at the hospital, chewed her out for not waiting for the clinic to open in the morning and hasn't seen her since.

We had to buy her clothing for the week because her plan to go back home for a day didn't work out. And her butt head hubby didn't bring her anything. Nice guy huh?

She was off her meds at the hospital so she spent Saturday night hallucinating again and had a rough night but was still helpful around the house for me.

We're managing well, or well enough. She's a great cook so that helps.

My pain is less now, thankfully because I have someone here to help with the little things. I've learned how to manage the crutches better and with the furniture changed, my distance to everything is now half of what it was....very helpful.

My husband was great before he left for the states on Saturday. I don't think that man sat still for more than 5 minutes since I injured myself. He's really a wonderful guy.

Hugs all,

And thank you for the Happy Mother's day wishes, hope yours was wonderful too![This Message was Edited on 05/11/2008]
  18. ckball

ckball New Member

I was thinking of you this weekend and was wondering how you were doing. Does not sound like fun, I am glad your hubby was so helpful and hope your daughter continues helping you.

You do not need two legs for the walker, you just hold the bad leg like you do on the crutches. I used a walker when I was recovering from foot surgery. I would hold the bars and push myself up and hop foward. I like the one with wheels on the front best.

Are you going to have surgery after your DH comes back? I hope you have lots of books, or movies or what ever it is that helps you pass time :) Wishing you a good Dr and fast healing-Carla
  19. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

How are you feeling? I'm glad your husband and your daughter moved the furniture around to make your path to things you need easier to navigate. Happy to hear you are in less pain!

I feel so sorry for your daughter and the way her "butt head hubby" treated her during her sickness. What ails the man??

Continue to take real good care of yourself. I know it's difficult now, but it will pay off later.

20. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

For checking up on me....

I am thrilled to be able to do a few things now around the house. I did a few dishes yesterday and it made me feel so good.

My daughter has a horrible dermatitis problem on her hands and feet and her husband forgot to bring her the special cream the dermatologist had made up for her. (he did bring us milk though, what a guy)

My doctor said I won't need surgery for this and for now I'll let it go at that. There's really nothing I can do about it anyway with my husband gone.

Pain, I'm sorry that you too have an adult child with a mental illness. It's never easy is it?

And Delores....what ails that man is just a very small mind. He Man, she Woman.......type of thing...yuck, I really, really don't like him.

I recently went to see someone to talk about it because I was waking up angry at how he treats her. But the nice lady assured me it's up to her to fight her battles (even if she's only been medicated properly for a few months) so I'm stepping out of it, trying to watch without too much input and still teaching her that she's worthy of so much more.

Hugs all,