Would you rather be alone when you are feeling fatigued?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Jun 23, 2008.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

When I am just flat out run down feeling, I would just rather be left alone. I just feel so cranky and irritable. Anyone else?
  2. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

To lvjesus - yes, but that is usually because I need something for my low blood sugar.

I get fatigued QUICKLY at times, like today when I was driving to an attorneys appt, I wanted to stop and take a nap, and his office was 3 miles from my house. About 1.5 miles I was totally exhausted. By the time I got to his office, I was fine.

3. Jayna

Jayna New Member

When I'm alone, I don't have to keep up the pretense that things are not that bad, or worry about snapping at the family when they are 'only trying to help'. And there's no noise or movement to disturb my delicate senses.

I am generally feeling better, or at least less worse, within a few minutes of being alone, just because of that.
  4. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

When my pain and fatigue are severe I want to be alone. I just cannot recover when there are people around me.

I too feel a need to "hide" how bad I feel from family and friends. It's exhausting to keep up that front. I much prefer to be alone and totally relax and rest.

5. kel78

kel78 Member

Yes, definitely. I dread going in to work most mornings because I know my office mate will start chatting and expect me to chat back. It's not like she starts talking non-stop or anything, but I really don't feel up to socializing at all first thing in the morning. It takes every bit of energy I have just to get myself in to the office, so once there, I crave some quiet time to myself before I have to be "on." But I don't want to hurt her feelings or come across as a bitch, so I do my best to keep up the pretense and do all the "how are you"s and "how was your weekend"s, etc, etc., and grab any quiet alone time that I can.

6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Alone! When I am tired, tired to the bone like I was today, I just don't want to have to think about anyone else and what they may need.

I also don't want someone asking, with the kindest intention for sure, if this may help or that may help. I just want to be alone and sleep or sit or whatever.

People take energy...when fatigues I certainly don't need more energy I don't have going out.

So, I hope you are able to be alone and recoup!

7. jole

jole Member

It seems like more and more I would rather be alone....not only with the terrible fatigue, but simply in general. (No, I am not depressed) My day just goes better without any kind of overstimulation, and when I'm alone I can do whatever or however much I'm able to without excuses, etc.

I not only tire easily, I also forget, am off balance, etc. so do better alone. Good thing my hubby understands and doesn't take it personal!
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, I just want to be alone. I feel exactly as you described, but with my family its almost impossible.

9. moreinfoplease

moreinfoplease New Member

just to read these posts, to remind myself that this is part of the illness, not just a peronal weakness.

when I was still working one of the things I found most difficult was responding to chit chat in the office, while dealing with the surrounding lights and noise; and going back and forth from talking to completing work. And this was despite the fact that my workplace was beyond supportive. It was just too difficult. At the end I did a lot of my paperwork from home, they were very understanding.

But back to being alone. Definitely. I think for me it is about not having to pretend. That is so exhausting.

Fortunately, I don't have to pretend around my husband, so still enjoy his company.

As I said, it is helpful to read others similar feelings, because I have been having self blaming feelings, telling myself that I am getting too reclusive and that it is bad, etc etc.
  10. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Most definately!!! This includes most of my days!!!!
  11. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

But after many years it does get lonely. That's probably why I "interact" with people online. It's less demanding than face to face.
  12. whoachief

whoachief New Member

but unfortunately that is seldom the case at my house. VERY rarely am I alone. To be left alone when I am utterly exhausted would be heavenly - but unlikely. LOL
  13. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Perfect. I work in an office where there are only 2 of us and my office mate is very chatty, so I know exactly what you mean. I have a hard time in the morning too. After showering and getting ready I am wiped out and need some time to slooowwwlly get moving.

It is so hard to concentrate on what people are saying too. That might be brain fog, I guess. I feel like they are talking at me and I am trying to grab what they are saying and I feel like I am asleep. Then later I feel bad because I can't pay attention.
  14. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I get sensory overload severely at times. Often I feel like I have to lay down that very instant, or I will collapse.

I really get cranky and irritable, and very touchy. My poor family; they always tell me, "That's o.k., we still love you and understand." They're so sweet!

I'm with you!

15. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I know how you feel. Thankfully it's just my husband and I at home now and I don't mind hibernating with him. He has his own pain issues.

16. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

You bet! It's just like the others said... you don't have to talk, smile, respond to anything...you can just "be."

My bf is very understanding about the pain & fatigue, but I'd still rather suffer quietly.
  17. gapsych

gapsych New Member

When I have run out of energy, it is imperative that I rest. In the long run this helps me feel better.

When I feel better, I do try to get out but that is so much easier said than done. I like to have friends come over to my place when I am sort of inbetween. At these times I welcome the conversation but am not energetic enough to go out.

At first it was hard for some friends and family members to understand, however after seeing me so sick for a longer period of time, they realized that I was not isolating myself because of depression which I do have a history. Fortunately, it is resolved with medication. So it is understandable that this was their first impression.

So yes when feeling this way I want to be left alone. I know what you mean about the crankiness and irritability.

What I do find comforting is that when feeling this way, one person will call to see how I am doing. But even talking on the phone is sometimes too much.

TAke care, GA
  18. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Yes, I prefer to be alone when I'm not feeling well.

I have to wonder though how much of this 'alone' is due to
    genetics and/or gender? I know my father wanted to be alone when he was ill and that was always my preference too (whenever I got the flu as a kid I ran high temps - 105+ - and would simply go to my room, shut the door, and come out a few days later).

But my brother is the total opposite, wanting to be babied - as are a lot of other people, mostly men, that I know. So, I have to wonder.
  19. MrsMarvls

MrsMarvls New Member

I prefer to be alone when I am tired and especially when I am in a lot of pain. Since it is just hubby and me these days, and he is still gainfully employed outside the home, it is easier to be alone. Besides, if he is home and I need to rest, I feel like such a 'piker' 'cause I am not able to get things done around the house, etc., while he is busy non-stop from the minute he gets home and/or gets up in the morning on week-ends.

[For those who are not familiar with the term, "piker" refers to somebody who is not carrying their own weight, or doing what is expected of them, or working equally as hard as her/his peers.]

Mary Ann a k a MrsMarvls
    [This Message was Edited on 06/24/2008]
  20. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

When I am tired, it is all I can do to drive or do my normal work. Visiting and chatting, etc, is just more than I can handle. I help to answer the phone all day at work and when I get home, I shrink when the phone rings at home. I will just go in my bedroom and tell my DH that I do NOT want to talk to anyone. My real friends know that is nothing personal. I just don't have the energy to make conversation. Some of my family members can't understand that I don't want to talk and take it personally. I can't do anything about that. I've tried to explain. I've learned to try and NOT let it bother me. I need my energy for more important things. I would rather just lean back in my recliner with the TV on and something over my eyes to block out the bright sun or crawl in bed. Sometimes I hurt too bad to lay in bed, and so I will sleep in the recliner. You are not alone in the need for alone time. It is a protective measure, because if people were around, we might say something later we would regret! ha ha