wow check out Dr. judy Mikovits's background

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simpsons, Apr 19, 2009.

1. simpsons

simpsons Member

wow just checked out this on the whittlemore peterson website. i didn't see before that she was involved in the research for aids virus. wish we could have a centre like this in the uk. hats off to annette whittlemore for this centre and putting in so much money from the family's own pocket. we are so lucky to have people of this caliber working for us.

Judy A. Mikovits, PhD, Director of Research [more...]
    Judy A. Mikovits
    Dr. Mikovits spent more than 20 years at the National Cancer Institute in Frederick MD during which time she received her PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, investigating mechanisms by which retroviruses dysregulate the delicate balance of cytokines in the immune response. This work led to the discovery of the role aberrant DNA methylation plays in the pathogenesis of HIV. Later in her career at the NCI, Dr. Mikovits directed the Lab of Antiviral Drug Mechanisms (LADM) a section of the NCI's Screening Technologies Branch in the Developmental Therapeutics Program. The LADM's mission was to identify, characterize and validate molecular targets and to develop high-throughput cell-based, genomic and epigenomic screens for the development of novel therapeutic agents for AIDS and AIDS-associated malignancies (Kaposi's sarcoma). Formally trained as a cell biologist, molecular biologist and virologist, Dr. Mikovits has studied the immune response to retroviruses and herpes viruses including HIV, SIV, HTLVI, HERV, HHV6 and HHV8 with a special emphasis on virus host cell interactions in cells of the hematopoietic system including hematopoietic stem cells (HSC). Dr. Mikovits' commercial experience includes serving as a senior scientist and group leader at Biosource International, where she led the development of proteomic assays for the Luminex platform that is used extensively for cytokine activity assessment in therapy development. She also served as Chief Scientific Officer and VP of Drug Discovery at Epigenx Biosciences, where she led the development and commercialization of cell and array-based methylation assays for drug discovery and diagnostic development. Dr. Mikovits has co-authored more than 40 peer-reviewed publications that address fundamental issues of viral pathogenesis, hematopoiesis and cytokine biology
  2. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Very glad to have her working for us!
  3. outofstep

outofstep Member

I really do think that she & WP will be the ones to finally figure this out. She's got experience dealing w/the feds, the scientific community and elusive viruses and she seems smart as heck. Plus she wants to do this. And they've got funding. It's only a matter of time...
  4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I'm very glad she's working on ME now and I'm hopeful for us.
  5. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i hope that WPI can help us. a reliable diagnostic test would be nice. (understatement of the year!)

the hit and run theory is very interesting to me.

also i wish all the medical pros would get their act together and decide what high virus titers really mean. my ebv titers are crazy high (igg- 5120). but i had mono literaly 20 yrs ago. half the drs seem to think these titers indicate recurrent/active infection and half the drs think it means only past infection. soooo which is it?! (the other titer igm i think, was somewhat elevated- but in a gray area - so who knows?!)

6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, nofool.

I think you are right on target here. According to the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block hypothesis for the pathogenesis of CFS, a viral infection can be one of the "stressors" that leads to onset of CFS in a genomically predisposed person. The viral infection can bring down the glutathione level, and when that goes low enough in such a person, a partial block is placed in the methylation cycle. A vicious circle forms between the glutathione depletion and the partial methylation cycle block, and that makes CFS a chronic disorder. The initial virus may or may not still be a factor in the pathophysiology. However, once this vicious circle is established, the cell-mediated immune response is inhibited, and viruses that have been latent in the body can then become active. I believe that is the reason why so many PWCs have elevated antibody titers for viruses that are very commonly held in the latent state in the bodies of the general population, such as EBV and HHV-6.

I do agree that Judy is a major asset to the CFS research community. She is very knowledgeable, energetic, and motivated. She also happens to know quite a bit about methylation and is very interested in it.

Best regards,

7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

She sounds really good. I'm encouraged that she knows something about cytokines and methylation. You would think that if anyone could come up with a diagnostic test for CFS, it would be the WPI.

8. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

That is interesting about the hit-and-run virus theory. That makes a lot of sense to me. Some folks have CFS from other things so maybe it does go back to some stressor that triggers it in people who have certain genes that can make them develop CFS. In that case, they may never figure out what's wrong with us.

I also think the doctors are confused about what the titres mean and about past vs. current infections.