WOW...Federal Student Loan Dismissed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hopeful4, Jul 15, 2008.

1. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Unbelieveable...I'm in total, utter shock! My husband's Federal Student Loan, with $20,000 outstanding in grad school loans, has been dismissed. He couldn't even get onto his account online doesn't exist now!

People, never, ever give up!

Student loans are very hard to have discharged now. Even people who are filing bankruptcy cannot get them dismissed.

How did he do it? He had his doctor complete a form, and sent it in. He had to call periodically to check on the progress of the request. Every time he called, he got a different person and a different answer.

Then, he went to pay his monthly payment online, and couldn't access his account. So he called, and was told the loan was paid off by the guarantor!! He was shocked, but had the presence of mind to ASK FOR IT IN WRITING!

He does have a litany of disabling conditions, CFS/FM, back injuries, lyme, and other words, he's not faking it!

Keep on knocking on those doors as best you can, it can make a big difference.

I'll get back to you next week some time, folks.

Best wishes,
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Years ago, I got them to dismiss my loan due to my disability. If you get a waiver form and have the doctor fill it out, they will do it. Although, at the time, they gave me alot of hell over it and kept claiming they never got the letter, but after sending it in about five times and a lot of phone calls, I did get them to dismiss it.

It still shows up on my credit report as a default, though, to this day, although it says the load is being paid by insurance and I don't owe anything. It's a very weird thing on there. But at least I don't owe it.
  3. Honora88

Honora88 Member

My doctor won't sign mine. How long does it take to get dismissed from the time you get the signature?
  4. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

From the lender?? I have alot of student debt I'm not paying on and would love to be able to do this.

5. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

I don't have a student loan , but I wanted to thank you for posting this positive advice and encouraging words for those who do.

You show that it can be done. Congratulations to you and your husband !

6. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Could you tell us where to get the form for this? I am not on disability but have applied and am working less than 20 hours a week.

I have been struggling to pay this. I am 54 and owe $18,000. I had gone back to school later in life.
  7. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

Wow, thanks a load for that information. It is the best news I have had in a long time.

Where can we get this form??

And does it matter which doctor fills it out, or do we need one for each doctor. (Right now I see 5 doctors for 4 different reasons and all are disabling.)

I just can't get over how happy I got from you post. I am giggling!

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I just found out and I think it was also mentioned on this board that you can not get a student loan if you are on disability. I would like to take some online courses and right now the cost is prohibtive for what I want to take.

Glad your was dismissed.

9. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

you can get it by googling:

or by going to:

or by calling the toll-free phone number of the place you send your payments to.
  10. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

can really vary. For my husband it took about 5 months. I don't think there's a hard and fast timeline for it.

If your doctor won't sign it, take it to a different doctor if possible. My husband also had to do that.

Good luck all.
  11. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I'm not really sure what to say. For my husband, he also sees many doctors, but he has one doctor who kind of coordinates between the other doctors, kind of like a PCP. You could certainly call the lender and ask them that question. The main thing is to get all the disabling conditions written down on the form, and how they prevent you from working.

Good luck.
  12. Honora88

Honora88 Member

Would you have to give the money back?

I love this chatgroup! It's such a godsend!
  13. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

no, you don't have to give the money back. After a number of years on SSD, they do check up to see how you are progressing. If you are able to go back to work, the SSD is terminated.
  14. oKismet

oKismet New Member

great news! want to come back to this to see if my husband might be able to do the same!
  15. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I applied back in 2005. I thought I was denied based on a letter I got. Then, I was going to try again in 2007 and they said it wasn't denied, my doctor just never responded to their faxes. This time, I'm taking the form to my doc myself and asking him for extra info that they needed. My loans have gotten up to about six figures because of all sorts of messes. They went back and said I didn't have enough hours years ago and tacked on about $20,000. And, believe me, it's true - you can't fight the government.

Apparently, you can get new student loans after three years of dismissal. They can, however, never be dismissed again.
  16. Honora88

Honora88 Member

What did you mean when you said you didn't have enough hours?
  17. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Make sure you get something in writing stating what you told us and keep it in a SAFE place!!

Student loans are famous for getting sold to different places and not showing up for a long time and then

[This Message was Edited on 07/21/2008]
  18. Honora88

Honora88 Member

When I called they said it would take up to two years after I stopped going to school. It's good to know that for some people it took 6 months.

19. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

and checked my transcripts and I guess there was a semester when I dropped a class and went under full time but I had a loan. Somehow that messed everything up from that time on. I'd have to go through the records again - they just said there was nothing I could do. I'm hoping I get the whole thing dismissed and I don't have to worry about it. It's not like I can pay anything on it now anyway.
  20. Honora88

Honora88 Member

your loans written off. That's good to know!