WOW Major IBS Breakthrough for Me I switched to filtered water

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zenouchy, Dec 15, 2006.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi All,

After struggling with IBS for lord knows how long: I can't believe I figured this out!! And now it's like, DOINK, how did I not realize it? Probably because I would feel fine for weeks between bouts of terrible IBS. I realized a lot of my IBS is due to the fact that I was drinking my city's tap water. However, I didn't know that was the culprit until just a few minutes ago!

My friend JUST told me that she read an article about a women from IL that has fibro who was really sensitive to her city's drinking water and found out that it was the major contributor to her IBS. As soon as she changed to filtered water, her IBS was much better.

I just started using filtered water last summer from our new refrigerator and noticed my IBS was getting better, but didn't make the connection until literally just a few minutes ago. I always thought my IBS was stress related. As soon as our refrigerator filter needed changing (we're having a hard time getting it removed-it's wedged too far back in the freezer) and I switched back to our city water for a few days, my IBS came back!

We've always talked about probiotics, fiber and reducing stress to help with IBS. All VERY important and things I always do (which would make me wonder why I would still have IBS), but I never thought about drinking water. After years of suffering with it, this is a really big deal for me! And I sure hope it helps at least one other person.

Much love, Erika
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I installed a Reverse Osmosis machine ~3 years ago under the sink. Home Depot ~$200. The water tastes great. I tapped in the line and ran it to the auto icemaker and have the finest ice water in Texas! Add a squeeze of lime or lemon and WOW.

Yes, I do have less problems with IBS.

I was also helped by killing off candida. 3-Lac worked the best for me. It has three strains of Lactobacullius bacteria (buttermilk stuff). I was also helped by using Probiotics (10 strains of healthy bacteria for the large intestine).

Mercury toxicity kills off good and bad bacteria. The good bacteria produce systemic and digestive enzymes.
  3. crossword

crossword New Member

Almost the same thing happened to me - I was having infections about every six weeks (ecoli) after moving into my house with a well. Last infection was in July, I installed a water filter on my kithen faucet the 1st week of August and NO MORE INFECTIONS. Now maybe my immune system can build itself.
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thank you all for taking the time to respond! My husband doesn't believe it's the water that's made me better, but I do....oh well, what does he know? I hope it's the water that was the culprit. We can't always perfectly prove things. Also, our city got a brand new filtration system 6 months ago too, the same time we got a new fridge and I started using mostly filtered water. Maybe both things are helping. All I know is that I feel much better in terms of the IBS. GI docs never think to tell you to drink filtered water.

Crossword, I'm glad you're not having infections anymore! I wish you all the best in continued good health and buidling up your immunity. I hope to do the same thing. allwxrider, the RO system from Hope Depot sounds awesome! I've had some unexpected expenses lately, but I'll have to look into that sometime- it sounds like fantastic water. That's a great pic of you with all of those fruits and veggies. I hope the juicing is helping you.

Jamin, I haven't heard of the nationwide ban to eliminate fluoride. I always thought that SOME fluoride was good but that too much was bad, at which point it became toxic. My husband's mom actually took fluoride supplements when she was pregnant with him, and as a result, he's never had a cavity.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm getting thirsty...ha ha Erika :)

5. Chris3251

Chris3251 New Member

Wow I have so much to learn I'm getting overwhelmed! I have IBS too, is that related to FMS? How does water help with IBS? I was diagnosed with it maybe a year ago but I can't figure out what I need to do to calm it down. If I'm reading this right, tap water is not the way to go - how about bottled water? I'm fine as long as I don't eat but once I do, its downhill the rest of the day - as if I need any help there.

I also keep reading about Candida? What exactly is that?

6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

You all raise some interesting ponts. I always learn something from other members here; it's great! I always thought that toothpaste contains flouride. As for bottled water, I heard that it's considered "dead water", in other words, that there's nothing really good in it for you. I drink it when I'm out and about, but not huge amounts of it.

I've heard that distilled water is really good....hospitals use it for cancer patients. I think filtering one's city water is probably a safe bet. It's hard to know if one's city is adequately filtering enough contaminants. Of course the SHOULD be, but with our compromised immune systems, extra filtering is probably a great idea.

Warm hugs, Erika

7. crossword

crossword New Member

About bottled water - Federal regulations require only that bottled water be as good as the city's tap water which is kind of scarey. People who don't have a compromized immune system would probably not be effected. My well was tested at the time of purchasing my house and it was good and still tests good but my immune system could not handle it. Hope this helps.
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I'm such a neophyte on the water issue. I appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts on the subject. It sounds like when we have weakened immune systems, we're more sensitive to city tap water and that each city's tap water varies widely. All I know is that for me, getting filtered water helped a lot, and it never occurred to me to look into it.

I can't believe I never considered that- it seems so obvious now. The flouride issue is something I haven't heard much about either. Jamin, if you have a website where I could read more about it, that would be great. Thank you everyone again for your thoughts and for taking the time to write. Wishing you all a peaceful day and good health!!

Much love, Erika
  9. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

be sure to buy toothpaste without it.
    You can find it in health food stores.
    Like "TOM's" brand. It's carried in some
    grocery stores too. But be sure to read
    the label as some carry less fluoride and
    some carry none.

ALso, I was told that the reason that Dollar
    Stores carry toothpaste for so little is that
    the levels of fluoride are much higher. I had