Write the next line

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by dmcduck, Nov 29, 2017.

1. dmcduck

dmcduck Active Member

Here's a game we used to play on a forum I used to belong to (which sadly no longer exists). It goes like this...I'll start a "story" with a single line. Someone else writes the next part. As we go along, a story emerges. You can write anything from a single phrase to a whole paragraph. It can be silly or serious.

So....

A man walks down the street. He reaches the corner and sees
    rockgor likes this.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think we've ever played this game, Duckie. Good idea.

A man walks down the street. He reaches the corner and sees two old friends talking. But,
    the strange thing is, they all work at the same office and Roger and Stewart are not friends.
    So why are they having what looks like a friendly chat? Has there been a rappochement?
    Stewart has a sneaky streak. He must be up to something.

Rock
  3. dmcduck

dmcduck Active Member

Stewart looked somewhat surreptitiously both ways. Then, quietly, as if someone might be listening into their conversation over the noise of the traffic, he whispers, "I have something to tell you."
  4. rockgor

"OK, tell me."
    "Not here. Com'on in the coffee shop. We got time."
    Once seated, Stewart glanced around, then said, "Guess who I saw coming outta the back door
    of The Old Anchor Inn this morning?"
    "Roger?"
    'Yeah, how did you know?"
    "I just saw you talking to him."
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

"Listen to me carefully, Ramon", Stewart replied, in a hushed tone. "It's what he did when he came out of the Old Anchor Inn".

Ramon looked at Stewart with a questioning look.

"And what did he exactly do that was so out of the ordinary. I know for a fact that his brother owns the bar so that's really not unusual for him to be there before work."

Stewart eyed Ramon as he answered, "I watched him carry out a small paper bag and suddenly a large black Cadillac drew up next to him and a door opened, though I couldn't see inside the car. Roger looked around, up and down the sidewalk, the threw in the paper bag, shut the door, and quickly walked off."
  6. rockgor

"So whadda you think? It's some kind of drug deal?"
    "Well, it could be."

"I suppose it could be, but it's not about drugs, it's about dogs."
    "What?"
    "Really, Stewart. It's left overs from the party last night. For the dogs. The guy with the Cadillac
    lives on Roger's block."

"Oh yeah, how do you know so much?"
    "Easy. I live there too."
    Starlight74 likes this.
  7. sunflowergirl

Stewart thought on this a moment. Ramon could see the wheels turning in his head, and then Stewart answered quickly.

"No. That can't be. I know for a fact that Roger absolutely doesn't like dogs ever since he was bit by one a few years ago. I doubt he would be concerned with bringing food for them."
  8. rockgor

"Oh yeah, I heard that too. Roger doesn't like dogs, but his son adopted a stray and kept it in
    the garage. Then when the son went to summer camp Roger grudgingly took over the chore
    of feeding it. Decided the dog was OK after all, so now it's welcome in the house.

He told me he named it "Little Orphan Andy."

How is your menagerie doing by the way?"
  9. dmcduck

dmcduck Active Member

"My menagerie is fine. Don't change the subject," Stewart griped. "Anyway, if Roger has a dog, why would he give stuff to the guy in the Caddy? Doesn't make sense; he'd take it home. No, he's up to something. Otherwise, why would he look so....furtive?"
  10. rockgor

"The reason Roger looks furtive is because that's the way he is: furry. You ever see him in
    the pool? Hairy as Cheeta.

I really don't know, but I suppose the stuff he gave Walt was for Walt's dogs. You heard anything
    on your tax audit?"

And what's going on at your office? You think the merger will go through?"
  11. sunflowergirl

Whoa! Who told you about a tax audit? That's MY business. At this point Ramon was getting very annoyed at Stewart. He never liked Stewart, never trusted him, found him to be a man of loose lips.

"Look here Stewart, I need to get going", knocking over his water glass in his haste to get up. Some of the water sloshed onto Stewart, splashing his bright purple and orange tie. Ramon beat a hasty retreat.
  12. dmcduck

dmcduck Active Member

He stopped, briefly, turned back around, got in Stewart's and lied, "And the audit, for your information, is a software licensing audit. By Microsoft. In my department." He didn't know what made him do it, but he took his hand and splashed more of the water off the table onto Stewart's shirt.
  13. Starlight74

Starlight74 Well-Known Member

No.
    He knew exactly why he did it.
    Everyone knew Stuart had a swag of ties on hand and it'd take nothing for him to change into a new one.
    On the other hand, douse down his shirt and keep him barking up the wrong tree with some dodgy intel...
    That would buy some time...
    If only that bumbling fool knew how close he was.
    Too stupid to twig.
    Surely? He grimaced.
    This would not do at all.
    rockgor likes this.
  14. sunflowergirl

Ramon burst out the bar door, into the bright early morning sunshine almost shaking with adrenaline from his new found confidence. Keeping up a fast pace on the sidewalk, the wheels in his brain spinning at a rapid pace, he arrived at his office just in time to see
  15. rockgor

the janitor taping a sign on the door. CLOSED. NO ADMITTANCE. DANGER.
    Exterminators Working.

"Hey, Stan. What's up. Stan shook his head. "Lotta foolishness if you ask me. Some secretary
    saw some bugs and she told Millicent who called the boss. He called the exterminator, and
    the place is now closed for at least two days."

"Hmmm. Can I go in and get some stuff from my desk?"
    "Well, they told me don't let anyone in. I guess you can if you wanna risk it."
    'Oh. Well, if anyone asks tell him I was here."
  16. Starlight74

Starlight74 Well-Known Member

Unperturbed, Ramon opened up the door to his office.
    Ah.The perfect little office.
    Except for the fact that it had been ransacked!
    The self assuredness dissipated and in a few stomach churning strides, he crossed to the secret compartment in his...
  17. sunflowergirl

Old fashioned heat radiator. Who would have known that a bottom door would be able to hide a small box, big enough for
  18. rockgor

a diary, a cell phone, or a handgun. Drugs, money or keys.
  19. sunflowergirl

Ah yes.....he let out his breath that apparently he had been holding. Still here from the last time I hid the little handheld recorder with the incriminating tape still inside. He quickly deposited it his pants pocket, gathered up a few unimportant folders and left his office. This whole thing has gone on too long, he thought. I need to show this tape to
  20. dmcduck

dmcduck Active Member

the auditors.