Write the next line

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by dmcduck, Nov 29, 2017.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Ramon hurried thru the front doors, waving to Stan as he left. He grabbed his phone, dialed and waited. "Hi, it's me, time has come and I'm heading to Smith, Kline and Brown and I've got the tape with me. A pause as he listened, then he replied, "too bad, you had your chance". Ten minutes later as he neared the office where he was going to blow the whistle, a little grey Nissan wheeled around the corner and veered onto the sidewalk. The last thing he remembered was the squealing of tires and someone screaming.
    dmcduck likes this.
  2. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Stewart, who had dried himself off as best he could with something on the order of 100 of the meager little things that passed as napkins, left the little coffee shop. He went down the block to the pharmacy where he stopped and bought batteries. Then he went home and put them into his cassette recorder. The cassette, which he had pilfered from the secret hiding place he had witnessed Ramon using a few days before lay on the table. He had staged the insect infestation, stolen the cassette and replaced it with a duplicate. Except the duplicate was blank. He'd been dying to know if this real one was worth anything. Ramon's behavior this morning had suggested that it was.

He put the tape in the recorder, pushed play and listened. He heard
  3. Starlight74

Starlight74 Well-Known Member

What exactly?
    It was muffled and scratchy.
    Stewart turned the volume to max and tried to focus.
    Voices.
    Who's voices?
    C'mon Stew.Think! He encouraged himself.
    Just as his brain started to hone in, the background noise picked up a notch.
    What the...?
    dmcduck likes this.
  4. dmcduck

Singing?!?
  5. sunflowergirl

Definitely Irish singing! It was hard to get over the loud bar sounds but the more he listened he could hear a muted conversation. Wasn't that
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

annoying! Like trying to watch a favorite program with the trash truck outside and a helicopter
    overhead. Along with the strains of "Johnson's Motor Car" he could hear two voices. It was
    hard to tell, but he suspected it was Roger and Stewart. Good grief! What were those two up to, and did it have something to do with work?
    Starlight74 likes this.
  7. sunflowergirl

"Wait a minute" Stewart whispered under his breath. "That's not me......that sounds like the guy who works in personnel. What's his name? Bruce! That's it, everyone thinks it's Bruce on the phone when I call someone. Now how can I tell what they're saying". Suddenly
    Starlight74 likes this.
  8. dmcduck

he heard his own name. What? Were they plotting against him? Of all the insolence!
    Starlight74 likes this.
  9. Starlight74

A small gathering of asian tourists had assembled.
    Phones were out and fixed on Ramon who was sprawled out on the paving.
    All chattering excitedly, as this was probably the norm for America and beats any kind of souvenir from the airport shops.
    Ramon tentatively checked his body parts as he got to his feet.
    He was kicking himself.
    Why did he make the call?
    Did he really expect them to sit back and do nothing while he just casually strolled into the office to hand over the tape?
    The gravity of the whole situation started to sink in.
    He started to shake.
    A quaking that came from the deep recesses of his soul.
    The 'what ifs' started to overwhelm his common sense.
    How high and how far did this thing Really go?
    He looked down, feeling as if he were in a dream.
    There in his hands were the remains of his leverage.
    A surge of anger shot through his veins.
    Plan B.
  10. dmcduck

Ramon had noticed Stewart watching him in his "private safe", so he had previously put a fake tape in the box in the radiator, and taped the real one to the bottom of his desk drawer. The fact that Stewart knew about his "tax audit" - he wasn't really being audited - was proof that he had taken the bait Ramon had left for him. The tape he'd left in the box was a recording he'd manufactured while out with some others in the office. They'd started ripping on Stewart, and Ramon took the opportunity to record it. The sound quality was horrible on that tape. It would leave Stewart struggling for hours.

Meanwhile he would
    Starlight74 likes this.
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

keep his cards close to his chest. Maybe he should talk to his brother-in-law. He was some
    kind of investigator for an insurance company. He probably wouldn't have to pay the guy.
    Just buy him some drinks at a bar and pick his brain.

Or maybe he should just do what his wife's been wanting to do for the last three years.
    Move back to Montana and work for her father. In a few years the old guy would retire;
    well, maybe semi retire. Eventually the business would be theirs. Course Montana was
    still too cold for his liking, but what the Heck! They make thermal clothes nowadays.
    Starlight74 likes this.
  12. Starlight74

Hmmmm.
    Decisions,decisions
  13. Starlight74

An exhausted Stuart sat on his deck, beneath the stars.
    He let out a sigh.
    He did not appreciate being played the fool.
    He nursed his drink and his bruised ego.
    Aside from all the usual back stabbing and office politics,
    there really wasnt anything even remotely interesting on that tape.
    Humph.
    No wonder I'm never invited along to the Little Leprechaun.
    I'll deal with Bruce later.He thought darkly.

"Daddy?"
    Stuart pulled himself together.
    Whatever was going on, would have to keep.
    At least until the weekend was over.

At around the same time, Roger slipped out the back door of his brother's place.
    Unbeknownst to him, across the street, a little grey Nissan came to life.
    dmcduck and rockgor like this.