Writing A Book and Need Support

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by anakinkaid, Jan 7, 2006.

1. anakinkaid

anakinkaid New Member

After a lifetime of working (and enjoying it), I can't-work. So I've closed my Studio down and moved my office home.

I decided to try to write a book and need some words of encouragement from anyone out there w/ CFS for such a major career change - instead of doing, I'm going to read about doing it-being creative, that is.

So----HELP!!! Ever, Ana
    [This Message was Edited on 01/08/2006]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

and magazines on how to write. I wrote a non-fiction book. It was easy because I already knew the subject matter. Didn't have to do much research.

If it's fiction, you introduce the characters including a main character w/ a problem. Then the problem gets worse. Then, due to the efforts of the main character (not chance), the problem is solved.

Do like the movies. Don't tell the reader Mr. V. is a bad man. SHOW him being bad; kicking a dog or something.

Best advice is make a rough outline and then start writing. Don't get interrupted by polishing the first sentence or looking up how to spell. Set a goal. Like 3 pages a day, whatever you can do.

When you are done put it aside for a while. Maybe a month. Then reread it and make notes of changes you want to make.

Do not use up your creative energy by talking to people about the book. Some magazines have ads from people who claim to be editors. They will read your manuscript and advise you, for a fee. All the sources I read say avoid such an arrangement.

Good luck.

[This Message was Edited on 01/08/2006]
  3. jennypee

jennypee New Member

I'd suggest reading Stephen King's book "On Writing." It's a million times better than any of the writing classes I've taken.

He's not teaching anyone to write horror or even fiction, specifically-- you can write whatever you want. It's very easy and fun to read.

I even downloaded it from audible.com so that my hubby could listen to it on a car trip.

(Can you tell I'm a KING fan? :) However, I'm not affiliated with Audible or anything else)

GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it turns out!
    What do you want to write about?

-jennypee
  4. zerped

zerped New Member

I've done freelance writing for the last 30+ years, and none of it has been fiction. I discovered the joys about what you call "not doing; writing about doing" and don't regret a thing. I've told people, "I have a job where I think of something I want to do or someone famous I'd like to meet. I go see them or visit this or try that, and then tell people what happened, and then they give me money!" What better job can there be?

When someone asked Hemingway what the secret to being a writer was, he said, "sitting your butt in front of a typewriter," or words to that effect.
  5. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I think that when we are going through a change especially one due to a health crisis,when can tape into a part of our emotions that have been in check for many years.You become vunerable and see things in a more emotional way.I think that is a good time to write.Some of our best writers do their best work during hard times.I am working on a book too.I am on chapter 8 right now.I plan on writing on this for a year without going back and proof reading it.I am just going with the flow when it hits me.

Good luck with your new passion.
    Sheila
  6. tejanya

tejanya New Member

i read about a guy that has fibro and wanted to write also. he typed and mostly used a microphone that was connected to the computer and wrote what he said. the problem he said he had was that he had to speak in monotone or it did not recognize him. that was about 6 years or so ago. with us living in the 21st century, surely that equipment is better nowadays. i like to write also. usually i re-read what i write to see if things have changed or needs to. i have been working on a book for few years now. i like to read it. some time i let others read it, but not often. i like to tell the story tho. there are songs also. the most important part of writing? it makes me feel better, more complete. guess it must be the traveling thing being fulfilled.
    also do you use microsoft office xp or something like that? it is great if ya need help.
  7. matthewson

matthewson New Member

to write a book based on my childhood spent at a cottage in northern mich. We spent our summers at the lake with a bunch of other kids who spent their summers the same way.

I think it would sell locally, because a lot of southern michiganders had cottages "up north". The problem is, I can't remember a lot of what happened! My memory is not what it used to be. I guess I could interview my brothers and get hold of kids from my past. I thought I might do this when I retire in 3 years.

I just have to put pen to paper and start! I do need to read a few books on writing though, and will definately look into Steven King's book.

Thanks for the post! Sally
  8. anakinkaid

anakinkaid New Member

Hi (and I'm sorry not to have said "thank you" earlier for all the great ideas - I was hit by a very bad cold and out of it for several days here: hospital, etc). BUT now I'm back...

I'm writing a book of easy recipes for folks w/ CFS who have little strength (like me) but still want nice results from the kitchen for their family, friends and even themself (also me).

If you have anything you'd like to see in the book (hints, guidelines, secrets, etc), please let me know. Our experience in going through (over or around) this illness is unique.

Hoping to hear from you....
    Ana

9. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

too tired to find all my books on writing (as i am an english major) - will find for you, really soon, though.

i have plenty. i'm a book fanatic.

good luck!
  10. anakinkaid

anakinkaid New Member

Thanks for the kind offer. Just a title would do and I'll looking them up myself on Amazon, then email my local (and wonderful) libarians: you take some time and rest. Hope you feel better soon.

Ana
  11. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

i do not remember the titles at the moment. i will try to do it tomorrow