WTF....I had to get a root canal today:(

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debra49659, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

And it hurt like a (insert bad word of your choice!). I broke the corner of the tooth about two weeks ago so I knew I was going to have to have it fixed but the root canal hurt like i don't know what!! I have had them before and they are normally uncomfortable but this one made me cry. For real the pain like shot up in my head....grrrrr......I hate this FM and the funky way our bodies hurt.

Not to mention that I felt like a drug addict when we were going over everything I took!!

Ranting and ravin'
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

had a root canal that hurt so much??

3. 3gs

3gs New Member

hi Deb I didn't have a root canal(from what I've read on board won't go there) so I had 3 teeth pulled.

Well the first one took 3hrs never numbed was hell and put me in a flare.
    2nd one told dentist not to give me the shot with antihistine in it,he did. this one took 1 1/2 hrs was beyond hell and they damaged the nerve that runs up your face. I knew something was wrong the minute they gave me the shot. 3wks to recover and still have problems with that nerve. luckily 3 was a breeze. doctor got me numb didnt use the antihistime stuff and was quick.

I'm wondering if they hit your nerve? Other thing last time I took pain pill and muscle relaxer before hand. put warm packs on your face.

hope it gets better dental work is not our friend
  4. vivian53

vivian53 Member

I just had one last month and you have expressed my feelings exactly. Sometimes I wonder just how much pain we can take, like if there is a threshold, maybe we would just pass out if we crossed it. Ditto on the drug addict feeling when going over meds in doctors offices. I know it is not a wise or safe practice, but to be honest with you, I pick and choose which meds to disclose to docs on what I consider a "need to know' basis, for that very reason. When I haven't been so secretive about my pain meds I sometimes feel like I am being treated like a junkie. I don't like to tell about antidepressant meds either because then I think I am being brushed off because I am "just" depressed and not really sick with whatever. It's hard to know what to do in those situations. Hope you feel better soon Deb.
  5. tig519

tig519 Member

All are naturally painful. Keep in mind that your "roots" are actually nerves, when there is decay or a chipped tooth, those nerves are exposed. That's why you start to feel pain from a cavity when drinking cold drinks, you're starting to reduce the buffer between the nerve and stimulus. Once the roots are removed, however, no more pain (except where the lidocaine was injected, along with any other trauma to the gum). So it's only that first visit that is the rough part. Some root canals may not feel as bad because the roots have already been deadened to some extent due to delay in seeing a dentist (of course with the individual suffering through the pain for weeks, months prior). Others, like a broken tooth can be very painful due to new exposure. The other type of root canal that will be painful even after you get numbed up is when an infection is present. That is the worse type of pain because no matter how much lidocaine gets injected, it won't help. Most dentists will send you home if they discover the infection because it has to be reduced.

Hope that helps. I would say to anyone, if you need one, get it asap. If you don't, complications can be worse. Removing teeth is not always the best choice. Depends on age and where the tooth is. The gap could cause many other problems. To fill the gap, the implant surgery is no cake walk. I'd take the root canal over that.