Wwhy are my feet and lets freezing all the time?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Apr 11, 2007.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Scream! I am so cold that my feet and lower legs are always freezing cold. It does not matter if I have taken a hot bath and tried to get them warm as they just get so very cold that i want to scream. EVery night itt happens as soon as I start to relax my legs and feet become so cold.

LIke I have placd them in a freezer. Or I have a cold cold draft on them at all times. NOthing works not even a hot bath to keep them warm. NO sooner than I am out of the tub the feet adn legs are again so very oldl that it bruns and is painfull for me. This is getting on my nerves.

Please help me if you can and let me know if this has happend to any one else or I have just gome nut
    They will tingle and burn and it drives me nuts all the time. It seems that there is nothing that I can do to keep them warm and i hate being so cold that it is painfull for me.
    I can't remember when thnis started but I wish it would leave me along soon.

I wrap my feet and legs in a warm towel from my dryer to help me fall alseep . I don't sleep wekk with my cold , freezing feet and legs. I feel like i am losing it as I don't know any one else who has this problem ,

What is wrong wwith me? Will my feet ever get warm again? I don't know what is happening to me or even how to stop it. Does this happen to any one else. OR am I all alone with this problem?
    Freezing all the time and hating it.HOPIng for some help soon Please help me if you can! Going nuts fast.
    ~HUGS~
    Rosemarie
  2. redrock

redrock New Member

Hi rosemarie, sorry for your feet and legs. I don't know if you have had your thyroid checked, but I know that is a symptom for thyroid problems. I too will have my toes get numb and tingle from being cold. The get cold real easy. They have been monitoring my thyroid constantly, but I have so many problems already I hate to mentioned more to the doctors. Best of luck, and get your thyroid checked.
  3. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Rosemarie.

I'm sorry about your cold feet and legs.

This means that blood is not circulating at a normal rate through them.

There are several possible causes for this in CFS.

One possibility is that you have hypercoagulation, which David Berg has called ISAC (immune system activation of coagulation). This is caused by having one or more inherited genetic variations in one or more of the proteins of the blood coagulation cascade. Then, when the immune system encounters an infection, such as a viral infection, it causes the buildup of fibrin. This happens normally as well, but it happens moreso in a person who has one or more of these genetic variations. And since the cell-mediated immune response is suppressed in CFS as a result of glutathione depletion and the methylation cycle block, the immune system cannot defeat the infections, and it becomes an ongoing guerrila war. That's why the cold legs and feet continue. If you have an erythrocyte sedimentation rate (sed rate) test, which is inexpensive, and if it comes out lower than 4 or 5 mm per hour, it's likely that you have hypercoagulation.

Another possibility is that you have low total blood volume, which is also common in CFS. This is caused in CFS by a so-called "mild" case of diabetes insipidus (not the same as diabetes mellitus, involving blood sugar and insulin). If you have a high 24-hour urine volume (more than about 2.5 liters per day, which you can measure yourself) and are constantly thirsty, it's likely that you have diabetes insipidus. I believe this results from glutathione depletion, which causes low secretion of antidiuretic hormone (arginine vasopressin) by the hypothalamus.

Another possibility is low cardiac output, which is also common in CFS. This results partly from the low total blood volume, which causes a low venous return to the heart, and also by diastolic dysfunction, which I believe results from glutathione depletion in the mitochondria of the heart muscle cells. To measure cardiac output, the best approach is called impedance cardiography. It is non-invasive, and the machines are becoming fairly widespread now. To find out who has one in your area, Google the company that makes them, called Cardiodynamics, in San Diego, CA. If you phone their number, the person who answers can tell you who has their machines in your area.

It's actually possible that you have all three of these.

So what can you do about it? Rather than trying to deal with each of these problems separately (or even going to the trouble and expense of characterizing them), I suggest that you look into the treatment based on the glutathione depletion--methylation cycle block hypothesis for CFS, which deals with the root cause in many cases of CFS and has the potential to be an actual cure. It uses all supplements available over-the-counter or on the internet (primarily certain active forms of vitamin B12 and folate), no prescription drugs. Several people on this board are doing that. You can find out about it by reading the threads that have "methylation" or "methyl" in their titles. The cost of the simplified treatment approach is about $2.50 per day if you leave out the optional, most expensive supplement. I think this might help you.

Rich
  4. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I have the very same problem that you have, I believe. I have it in my hands and lower arms also. I am not trying to be a smarty pants and say that I know for sure what is wrong with you, but I have a very strong feeling :)

I don't believe it has anything to do with the actual temperature of your feet or legs though, and I will try to explain to you why. You said above:

1) They (your legs and feet) will tingle and burn and it drives me nuts all the time.

2) NO sooner than I am out of the tub, my feet and legs are again so very cold that it burns and is painfull for me. This is getting on my nerves.

What you have described is Peripheral Neuropathy (PN), which is caused by damage to the nerves in your feet and legs.

Damage to these nerves can be caused by:

1) medicines like statins (Lipitor, Crestor, etc) and feneofibrates like Tricor. This is what caused the damage to the nerves in my hands, arms, feet and legs.

It all started with my feet then my legs, hands and lower arms. I was extremely desperate to take these medicines because of an inherited disorder that caused my cholesterol to be gosh awful high. My triglycerides were over 2000! I would stop these meds for awhile and the PN would get better. After a couple of weeks I would start back on them. I did this on and off cycle for about a year before the damage became permanent. I have totally stopped the statins and Tricor.

I take neurontin and it makes it all so much better. You really need to speak to a neurologist about this! I know the "I'm going nuts here" feeling!!! There is medicine that will help.

2) Any medicine or condition that reduces the rate of the circulation of blood within your feet and legs can cause PN. The peripheral nerves in your feet and legs need nourishment (O2 and nutrients). If they are "starved" they will wither or become damaged.

What can decrease the blood flow to your feet and legs (?):

A) Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) is a condition where the arteries supplying the feet and legs become partially blocked or in extreme cases, fully blocked with plaque (which is a medical emergency due to gangrene). This is the same type of plaque that can cause a heart attack. Doctors can find and open these blockages and restore blood flow to your feet and legs.

B) Diabetes causes the arteries in the legs and feet to constrict which restricts blood flow.

C) Low cardiac output or heart failure could certainly decrease the flow of blood to your feet and legs. More than likely you would also have low BP and your arms and hands would also be affected. Do you feel faint when you stand? Do your hands ever become cold when you are in a warm area?

D) An aneurysm within your abdominal aorta, which would be rare, could cause a pressure decrease in the blood supply to your legs.

E) Edema of the lower extremities, as you know, is when the tissue of the feet and legs retain too much water. The tissue "tightens" around the tiny arteries and capillaries of the feet and legs, thereby restricting blood flow to the nerves and muscle tissue.

This can be caused by diabetes, medicines, poor kidney and/or heart function, and too much salt in the diet. I am sure there are more causes of edema that I am not aware of. Pitting edema is when you can press on the tissue say, of the ankle and your finger print, or depression will remain for awhile. This is kind of serious...

You should elevate your feet above your head at least during two-twenty minute sessions per day, to allow the blood that has "pooled" in your feet and lower legs to easily return to your heart. While standing, the heart has to overcome the force of gravity in order to "push" and "suck" the blood that is returning to the heart and lungs to exchange CO2 for O2.

3) Vitamin B-12 deficiency can cause damage to the nerves of the lower extremities, and can cause damage to the brain. Duke University was started by a man that was really rich, was mentally ill due to a severe B-12 shortage, and who felt so guilty for having so much money he wrote a check to establish Duke :)

If you take any of the proton pump inhibitors, such as Nexium or prilosec, you must remember to take lots of extra B-12 because these medicines interfere with the absorption of B-12. B-12 requires acid in the stomach to break it down whereby it is absorbed in the small intestine. The PPIs reduce the acid in the stomach.

4) Think of all the damage you have to your back! It may take a stretch of the imagination, but is it possible that somehow your spinal chord is damaged and is affecting the nerves in you feet and legs?

I know nothing about the spinal chord and don't see how it could just skip the hip area and go straight to the nerves of the feet and legs. You could ask your doc about that possible association.

Well, I sure hope that you get relief soon!

Andy