XANAX and muscle pain question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reckabek, Jun 27, 2006.

1. reckabek

reckabek New Member

Since this Dr. doesnt seem to be giving me the meds for pain....will xanax help muscle aches? I dont want to waste one, but was wondering...does it relax the muscles???? it alsmost seems like it would...thanks beck
  2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Xanax helped me with the muscle pain in a slightly higher dose than what I was on for anxiety. Unfortunatly, I grew physically dependent on it and had to detox off of it. Now I am on valium which is suppose to help muscles at a higher dosage but it doesnt help me much.
  3. reckabek

reckabek New Member

thanks, ill try it then...thats all i have here....for anxiety also, but im not even sure if this dr. will give me that once i run out..Jeeze i hate DR.....UGGGGGGGGGGggg
  4. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

gotten relief from muscle pain with it, but everyone is different.

TxSongBird
  5. jeduanboneis

jeduanboneis New Member

Used to take Xanax and it only helped to a point and would take it to try to sleep but it only lasts for a short time.

So then finally my local Dr. gave me Flexeril for the muscle pain and it helps much better. If it doesn't help all the way when I am in more pain I also have Darvoset and then that makes it almost better. Acetominophen will help sometimes in pinch but not for long.

There is a new anti-anxiety which helps called Geodon which I take half as much as was prescribed so I don't get too drugged down.

I try not to get to slowed down with all of these meds, but I seem to be able to do more with some relief than when I used to just be sick and tired. I figure I am fatigued anyway, so why not make some of the pain go away?

Hope you can find the right combination.

Jeanne
  6. Astarte

Astarte New Member

works for relaxing a bit, lowers my Blood Pressure.

I too take Flexiril occassionally for muscle aches as it makes me get hot and itchy sometimes. It worked the other night and I was in flare up mode. Drs write for it easier than some things.

Wonder if we should invite a dr. into our blog... They probably wouldn't get it until they lived it.

Star
  7. reckabek

reckabek New Member

but dr. wont give me anything,,,, i havent straight upped asked, but ive seen him, called him...etc...he thinks neurontin will be just fine, once it kicks in...but it hasnt kicked in yet..and im in pain...i keep beating aroung the bush...so i figured i have xanax, and would ity help these achy sore muscles??? owell...maybe ill try it...sad what we have to go through
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

If all you are going to get is Neurontin, get another doc. My doc gives me the meds in my profile.

I've been on Xanax to help relax my muscles for 9 years.

Everyone needs a doc who will work with them. My doc is now out of my insurance network, but I still see him because he helps me so much with my FMS.

A lot of docs won't give Xanax, because they don't understand Xanax and FMS. They aren't willing to try to give a controlled substance to help.

Like I said look for another doc.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. kb101

kb101 New Member

Xanax has muscle relaxing properties along with it's other properties.
    I've been on it for years and find it to be extremely helpful.
    KB
  10. reckabek

reckabek New Member

ill be sure to use it next time im having trouble getting up....i just hate wasting em, cause the dr. may not give me them.....i would rather have em for panic attacks then muscle attacks....i dont know why, but i would...thanks again all!!! beck
  11. ellikers

ellikers New Member

yep, xanax is a muscle relaxer. Depending on the severity and type of muscle pain, it can help it. If the muscle pain is pretty severe, I don't think the amount of xanax I take would help it, and then the higer you go in the dose the more problems arise ... as usual, it's complicated.

I have muscle spasms and pain associated with stress and when I am having a flare, and I take xanax in the evenings when I'm having trouble and it eases my pain and spasms considerably!

I am very happy I have it in my "toolbox" for my health.

:)