Xanax, Ativan or Valium

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

Which one seems to help you the most for anxiety and/or pain?

My PCP Rx'd Xanax for me for anxiety; however, he Rx's Ativan for airline flights over 3 hrs. Once he rx'd valium
    when I was suffering from severe dizziness (it was not an inner ear problem). Valium and Ativan were short term only and, of course, not taken with Xanax. I do have refills for Xanax - but, I don't take this on a regular basis. Maybe I should?!?

What are your experiences.

Thanks~Hugs!
    Nikki
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
  2. Nikki

Nikki Member

Bumpity bump
  3. Rene

Rene New Member

Good question. I am taking xanax and don't feel it works so good. I don't take it all the time. My doc won't get me valume. Why not??

Anyway I hope you get so answers. I would like to try valume sp?

Re
  4. code34me

code34me New Member

I prefer ativan because I have a 3 year old son who does 100mph allllll day! I also have a 13 year old daughter who needs to go alot of places. With the Ativan it does not make me doopy like the Xanax did. The fog is bad enough for me so using Ativan for anxiety and Ultram for pain (also Cymbalta) I can stay alert as possible (EXCEPT FOR THE DARN FOG!!!!!)

P.S. I use Ativan for sleep every night to calm my mind down and let me fall asleep and when I feel shaky and sick during the day (like I am dying) it makes me feel as if it will be okay and I will live through the pain and fatigue.

Take care of you! Codey
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have been on Xanax since 1997, for help with FMS. It seems to help relax my muscles. I only take .5 mg. three times a day. I have been on this dose ever since.

I have never taken Ativan. I have only had Valium a few times when I was having an MRI and that was the med of choice for my sedation. It didn't work on me well once I had been on the Xanax for a few years, though.

For the last MRI I had, I was given 5 mg. of Valium and I could barely notice it except for just being relaxed more.

I had used Xanax previous to my FMS dx for anxiety off and on. At one point I was put on Buspar, but it really didn't help me that much.

Hugs,
    Faye
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

It is very cheap. I take only 2mg. I tried others but they make me nervous and give me dizzy spells. However, they all make me irritable. Valium also treats the dizziness too.It does calm the gut AND address nerve pain associated with FM, makes the muscles relax too, so for me, it is a good old all rounder for another older gal! I do tons better on it.

Love Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
  7. chickabee

chickabee New Member

I am on Xanax for anxiety attacks. Was on Valium for quite a few years for cervical muscle spasms. Valium did great job for the spasms. I was on 5 mg.

Now have 1mg Xanax for panic attacks, this seems to be working just fine. Have had no bad side effects from either. Don't feel loopy or dizzy. It just doesn't help the spasms. :(
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I take the Xanax, find it not only helps the anxiety, racing brain, IBS, sleep, but also helps with the FM pain/spasms as well.

I am very allergic to drugs, so can't take pain pills, I can take a .25mg of Xanax along with an OTC of Advil gel capsule for pain too if its really bad.

I have tried Valium, but it puts me in 'la, la,' land!

Xanax simply relaxes me.

Its all to do with what works for you.

Shalom, Shirl
  9. Nikki

Nikki Member

I really think the valium works the best for me. Don't know why my PCP is reluctant to rx it over the xanax. I probably haven't really pushed the issue.

Most of my meds are rx'd by my rhuemy. But, both know all the drugs I take - same clinic.

Right now I'm really searching for something to stop the hot, hot flashes. I'm usually very cold natured, but sometimes I get so flushed and hot I can't breath. It's certainly not the change - I'm 60.

Guess I really need to go back to my endochronologist (that doesn't look right at all). Isn't it funny how you can look at words or say words and they no longer sound or look correct . . . even very simple words. But, I digress . . . I'm all over the place today.

At least there's always tomorrow (hopefully :)). An Easter hunt at church w/my grand daughters.

Hugs,
    Nikki
  10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

works best for me. Xanax did not do a thing for my anxiety. I use ativan at night several times a week to turn off my brain, relax and get to sleep. Or for any anxiety attacks, but those are rare theses days. Only need .5 for this.
    Everyone is different though. My identical twin prefers the xanax.
  11. daylight

daylight New Member

They try all the drugs until they know wish one works the best for you. Henchs the term "practice". I use xanax .25mg at night or went I have to deal with a difficult situation. It is a good muscle relaxer but robaxin is better.
    Of course my "drug" of choice these days is wine. That is when I have a drug free day.
    D.
  12. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I just read your second post, have you tired the ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6) for those 'flashes'? I have been taking it now for about 4 years, and it cut the hot flushes/flashes down to just now and then, where before I tried this they would wake my all night, and even get them during the day as well.

Go to the Store link and read about it, its really a wonderful supplement for many things.

Shalom, Shirl
  13. G.I.Jane

G.I.Jane New Member

Xanax made a huge difference in controlling my muscle tension and spasms - they had gotten really severe. I take only .25mg a day, sometimes one and a half or two. It doesn't make me sleepy at all, it's great. Take care - Jane :)
  14. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Valium is very, very slowly metabolized. It can linger for days, and in the elderly for longer than that.

Versed is a much better drug in that respect.

Zanax is a well tested drug.

Ativan is only good as a sedative and an amnesic. I cannot imagine taking it for anything else.

Even then, one can have loss of memory with it, why would any of us need that, don't we have enough of that?
  15. Nakomis

Nakomis New Member

There are drs who still Rx valium?!?!
  16. bct

bct Well-Known Member

I have tried Ativan, and it didn't work well for me.

I take Xanax only in major crisis mode.

YES DOCTORS,STILL PRESCRIBE VALIUM.