Xanax for flourescent fatigue...did you know?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Apr 9, 2005.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I just wanted to put out some info that might help some people. I know either Mikie or Shirl said that they dissolve Xanax under the tongue for this (or at least I THINK one of them did! LOL).

I took my kids to the Arts Festival at the high school today and last year I had to leave and go to the library for awhile even though I had my glasses on. The lights just wiped me right out.

You may have seen that I have posted about this quite a bit lately, so you know I have been struggling with this. I am going to the doctor's on Monday and hoping he will give me some Klonopin. I think it was Mikie that said that she takes a quarter of one for this during the day.

Anyway, I remembered about the Xanax this morning. I have some that the doc gave me for anxiety but he does not want me to take it more than once every other day because he says it is habit forming. But I still have 2 pills left and the script was for 20 and I got it last June, so that is good. I took a half before we went today and it was amazing how well it worked. I even took my glasses off and was fine. I did not get tired at all. I was still stiff and sore, but I could handle that.

We stayed from 10 until 2 and then came home and went to town. We hit a couple of stores in the mall and the video store. I am so thankful to have had this time. Yesterday at lunchtime I went to WalMart and that was a nightmare. It ticked me off really. How ridiculous is it to not be able to go to the flippin' store for 30 minutes!!!?

Anyway, I thought maybe someone would benefit from this info. Have a great weekend!

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Under my tongue for sensory overload or anxiety. It is in the same family as Xanax and Vallium. I also take Klonopin for good, quality sleep with not grogginess in the morning.

Love, Mikie
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Patty I though I was the oldest 'hand' with Xanax around here:) I have been taking them 'as needed' for 18 years!

It started with menopause and the nightsweats, anxiety. But I had not gotten addicted to them either. I only took the lowest dose possible, like .25mgs, and sometimes just half a .25mg for anxiety still works.

There was times I could not get them prescribed, so had to go without them.

They just found out they also work for IBS cramps, I tried, and sure enough stopped the cramps in about 15 minutes with a heating pad on my stomach too (under the tongue method), I know they taste nasty, but after a few minutes I eat a piece of orange or grape juice and the taste is gone. Its worth it for the quick results.

Sonya they do help with the lights, its the sensory overload that gets us along with the lights in some stores.

Wal-Mart is the worst, they have lighting that is ten times brighter than the noon day sun. Thats enough to drive any one up a wall!

Another good tip with Xanax, I got this one from one of the books on FM (think it was Devin Starlanyl's 'Fibromyalgia Advocate', if you take a low dose of Xanax with an Advil gel capsule (green ones)OTC, the Xanax enhances the pain killing effects of the Advil. It also works, but I only do this if the pain is through the roof.

I am very careful not to take it more than a couple of days in a row, as I have always been concerned about the habit forming effects. So far I have done well with it!

By the way, Xanax comes in .25mgs (white), 50mgs (pink), 100mgs (blues), and 200mgs (white oblong). The 200mgs are the bars. All are scored so they are easy to break for lower dosages.

Shalom, Shirl

4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

to everyone who replied. I have a script for .25mg of Xanax, which I do break in half. I have dissolved it under my tongue from advice given here and it does taste bitter, but works right away and sometimes you need it right away. I did take it with water yesterday while I was on my way.

What was said here confirms alot of suspicions that I had about ways it has helped. I am hoping for Klonopin but will get my Xanax refilled while there. I have 3 left but since I am going anyway I might as well get it. As I said before I got 20 pills in June of '04 so I am pretty sure he will give me the refill since the directions are that I can take 1/2 to 1 pill every other day. To be honest, I can't see how every other day can be that much better or less addiciting. He was right though when he said that just having the med helps sometime. I know if I get overwhelmed it is there, but I do try to hold off if I can.

Today the lights at church did not bother me like the last 2 weeks but I was ready to take a 1/2 if I needed it.

Thanks again for the good information.

5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Guess you could call me the xanax queen, as I have been on them since CFS, 8 years. They have been a great drug for me. I take them daily since I can't tolerate antidepressants. I take .25 four times a day and more if in a crash or needed.

Even my ENT told me to take them, since I have sinus, vertigo , ears ringing issues.

I have been upset today and have an out of town doc's appointment so took an extra one, hoping to calm me down before I get to the doc so I won't start crying and can think straight if that is possible.

I feel xanax is a great drug with a bad reputation. I also take them for pain along with two bufferin and it works , not perfect but takes the edge off.

Take what helps, as I once had such a fear of addiction etc . but no more.

God Bless,

6. star273

star273 New Member

I also think that Xanax has a bad rep but is a great drug when used properly...I am like you, I use it for vertogo, sinus problems, dizziness, anxiety and pain... Its amazing the edge it takes off the pain. I am so weird about telling anyone that I take it... because so many poeple think you are a mental case and your addicted to it. Makes me mad, but I am just glad that it has helped me...as well as others..
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have been taking Klonopin for over 15 years. It has not only helped my RLS but also the sensory overload. When I take it, I feel "normal" whatever that means, LOL!!

Klonopin has a longer half life than other medications, so supposedly it is not as addictive. This does not mean you will not have withdrawal. I tried to get off of it once and the withdrawal was horrific. Before I was taking Klonopin, I was taking Ativan and getting off of that was much worse.

I don't know if it is easier withdrawing from the xanax if you are put on Klonopin increasing the dosage, but ask your doctor about that.

It definitely helps with sensory overload. It does not make me sleepy but I think that is more an individual reaction since we all react differently to these meds.

I take 1 mg. in the morning and 1mg. at night. Sometimes I just take 1/2 mg. during the day. I take the generic clonazepam. I have heard that Klonepin is supposed to be better than the generic. I would be interested in what your doctor has to say about this or anyone on this med.

I hate to take pills but klonopin has been life saving.

Sometimes I feel like I am a poster girl for the miracles of modern medicine, LOL!

Keep us updated.

ETA, There have been several times when I have put the pill under my tongue when I was experiencing severe anxiety several years ago. Fortunately, I have not had excessive anxiety for years. But there by the grace of......
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2009]
  8. gotdirt

gotdirt New Member

my son had a huge seizure on xanax. he had trouble sleeping and a lot of body pain. he told me it was the only drug that helped him sleep.we are now thinking he might have fibro. but after taking it for so long. which it is not meant for long term use. he did not get his prescription filled and was off of it for 2 days and he had this seizure. he still has not recovered from it. but that is what can happen. anywhere from 24 to 48 hours after stopping the drug you can have a seizure. be carefull.
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sorry to hear about your son, do you mind telling me what dose he was on and how long he has been on them. Is he back on them? What are his symptoms now since he hasn't recovered. I do hope he improves soon. That's the scary part about the benzo's.

God Bless,
  10. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

Xanax works far more quickly than Klonopin in easing anxiety, but Klonopin is a better maintenance drug in my opinion. Xanax affected my short-term memory (and thus the transfer to long-term memory of that period of time). Klonopin does not seem to affect my memory or concentration, so that's what I'm on long-term.

None of the benzos can be discontinued without tapering off and patients need to understand this clearly.
  11. ropaul

ropaul New Member

My question isn't really about the drugs but about the lighting.....everytime I am in a store ...Drs office anywhere with flourescent lighting I have such a headache...yesterday we had to take my husband to the clinic to have a cancer removed from his face...we were there ten hours and the whole time I had to sit with my hand covering my eyes...I suffer from headache's anyway but this always seem to make it worse....So Xanax helps with this.....and do the lights make you more tired....sorry If I don't make any sense my mind just does not work very good...especially after we found out today that my husband who already had two heart transplants now needs a kidney transplant....I posted a question about that too...anyone who could help me ....I would sure appreciate it....
  12. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Sonya,

Fluorescent lighting does an incredible number on me as well. I sometimes wonder if there might be some type of homeopathic effect going on with the vibrating mercury inside these things.

I just wanted to mention briefly that I used to take clonazepam (generic Klonopin) for many years. I tapered off this almost two years ago, but still had to deal with major sensory overload issues.

Just this past year I began using microcurrent therapy using a device called Alpha-Stim. Last I noticed, ProHealth sells them on this site. I've posted pretty extensively on this board about how this has helped considerably with my sensory overload.

It's possible I may need to go on another benzodiazapine in the future, but the alpha-stim seems to be working well for me at this time. I take it with me whenever I leave the house in case I need to stop at any time to get my system settled down.

Best, Wayne