Xanax Generic vs Regular

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Aug 5, 2005.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have been taking regular xanax but with my new insurance will only pay for the generic even though the doctor ordered regular..So I am having to change to generic.

Those of you who take xanax have you ever changed from one to the other if so could you tell a difference... Do any of you take generic?

2. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

I used regular xanax for years and then went to generic - I saw no difference whatsoever.
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

but it works great for me. I have .25mg pills that I chop in half. Must be okay if 1/2 of .25mg works.

Sonya
  4. craziC

craziC New Member

Hey lady! I also take generic - haven't had any problems and I didn't notice a difference either!
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

And I didn't notice any difference in the Brand name I started on at first and the generic.

Most of my meds are generic if possible as my copay is only $10 per Rx. With other meds, it can be $20 or $35 on some meds.

We spend a fortune in copays a month on meds between my husband and I.

Hugs,
    Faye
  6. achy

achy New Member

Don't remember if I ever took brand name.

The generic works fine for me, I take 1/2 pill here and there....only when i really need it.

Other meds I can tell a difference btwn the two. I take Dilaudid. The brand I take 4mg..the generic I have to take 6mg to get the same relief. But, one I get for $10 and the other is $80. I take generic lol

achy
  7. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

works great for me, and it is cheaper for me too, with a copay of 10 bucks instead of 25. for band name.

I perfeer certain, Manufactors of Generics, like the Watson Co. They make the better Hydrocodone's.
    Vicodin or Norco.
  8. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

including Xanax, and all work for me. Remember, for a generic to be approved by FDA, they have to be exactly the same, all it means is the Pharmaceutical has lost the patent and others can copy it.
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank you so much for all your replies and good news..I was afraid there would be a difference..Its also a comfort to know that I am not the only one taking this med..

Do any of you take it daily? I take .25
    three times a day..It helps with my CFS and anxiety etc...

Thanks again
  10. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

My dosage is to take 2 - 0.5 mg before bed (which I usually only take 1), or as needed
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I take .5 mg. 3 x a day and have been since 1997. Used it off and on for anxiety prior to that year. It helps with my FMS pain.

Hugs to you, Greatgran!
    Faye
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

13. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

I used to take the generic Xanax until the doctor switched me to the extended release. As far as I know the generic doesn't come in extended release. So, I take Xanax XR which is slowly released in your body and lasts a lot longer the the regular Xanax. One pill is supposed to last 12 hours. I take two 2mg. pills a day.