Xanax, Helps Me More Than Any Other Drug

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by greatgran, Apr 2, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Out of all the meds I have tried to help with my fibro symptoms I have found xanax to be the best. It helps with pain, anxiety, depression, sleep and just my all over symptoms.

Of all the meds I have tried this is my choice and no side effects.

I have been on xanax for 5 plus years now and felt guilty for taking it because of all the negative things I have read about the medicine, mainly addiction . I have not increased my dosage and have had days I didn't take it but then the anxiety, pain etc. returns

So for me the med works and I am sticking with it as my doc said if it works why not because everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another . Since there is no known medicine or treatment for fibro its trial and error.

Just wondering if xanax helps anyone else as much as me. Now believe me I suffer everyday but without this medicine I would be bedridden.

God Bless,
    greatgran
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Nana, never heard about the nausea but since you mentioned it , at times I do become nauseated for no reason and when I take a xanax it has helped. I thought because I was anxious or maybe had forgotten to take one. Thanks for your reply.

Kina, makes sense about the central nervous system which I didn't know, this is a stange disease. I do suffer with anxiety/depression,vertigo and my ENT was the first doc to prescribe xanax, then I passed this on to the other docs, the rheumy I see still is pushing Lyrica which I couldn't take so just sticking with my regular doc . Thank you for your encouragement.

Thanks,
    greatgran

3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Many years ago I took Xanax for anxiety and insomnia. It worked tremendously well for that.

I also have a regime for pain and sleep that works well for me. I just hope it continues.

Congrats on finding something that helps you. It makes such a difference to have our symptoms under control

All the best,

Eileen
  4. LaQuiet

LaQuiet New Member

I don't take Xanax but I do take Valium which is almsot the same thing.. I find that it helps tremdously with MPS, sleep and general relaxation since I usually have that "fight or flight" thing that is mentioned in alot of the books on MPS and ME/CFS.
  5. Junegal

Junegal New Member

I take a small dose every 2-3 nights to help me sleep and it does work the nights I take it. I just get nervous that my body will get used to it and it will stop working for me eventually. It is good to hear that it continues to work for you. I'm glad you found something that works!
  6. poets

poets Member

greatgran,
    I'm so glad that Xanax works so well for you. A few years ago my family doctor wrote some out for me, but I only had two refills. It really seemed to help. Since then he's passed away. I'm sure he'd have been happy to keep me on it. I can't find any doctors in this area who'll help me with the pain except for giving me Lyrica. Sometimes you need a little more than that. If you ask for anything even close to a narcotic or a benzodiazapine, they look at you is if you're some sort of addict. It's almost impossible to find any doctor around these parts who'll prescribe it. I'm so glad for those of you who can get the medicines you need.

Meg
  7. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I've been on Xanax for over 15 years and actually reduced the dose than was given to me at the beginning. I get tacycardia (rapid heart beat) along with my anxiety. Xanax has been a blessing to my life. It helps keep my body calm, which reduces the adrenaline.

I haven't thought about it helping with pain--not sure with me. It does help me sleep better.

I take 2 pills daily (0.25mg) in divided doses.
    This is one med I will never give up.

The internist wants me to try Prozac for my pain and panic--but I'm afraid to try it. I feel if I have a bad day I can up the Xanax a bit.

T
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each of you for your input and replies. I can't for the life of me understand why doctors will prescribe SSRI's like crazy but won't xanax.

Thank goodness I have a doctor that knows they help, and I would never abuse them. I believe that is the key so many have abused them as a street drug.

Its a great drug with a bad reputation.

Sorry some of you have trouble getting the doc to prescribe the drug. Need to educate them.

God Bless,
    greatgran
  9. TropicalGirl

TropicalGirl New Member

I give Xanax to my patients when they are nauseated, in pain or having severe spasms or anxiety attacks. This medication works great! I am always happy to see it listed as a possible med that I can administer! It is my lifesaver for patients having a difficult time in the hospital!

Tropical Girl
  10. sassy123

sassy123 New Member

Hi,Just wanted to say that I take xanax too,and have for about 3 years. It was originally presribed for my anxiety and panic attacks.I have noticed it does help with the muscle tightness that I get from fibromyalgia,and of course helps to relax me in general.I used to worry about the whole addiction thing,but I dont as much anymore.Sometime, you have to do what works. Its good to see this drug helps other people too.
  11. Elisa

Elisa Member

I have been taking ativan for a couple years and it doesn't have any effect anymore - would switching to Xanax help? And do most of you find that you don't get tolerant of it?

I guess I can switch to another if that happens - I really need help now - anxiety is very high - I have had a fever for over 9 mos with severe pain too - just overcome with weakness and incapacitating anxiety (over survival tasks like grocery shopping, pharmacy etc) which really messes with my confidence - as does this DD..

I know you all understand!

Thanks,

Elisabeth
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2008]
  12. BonnieR

BonnieR New Member

Greatgran I posted a question to you on the chit chat board, because I had not seen you on the depression one. I have been wondering about you and your family. Also wanting to know what you were doing for sleep. So is xanax all you take?
    I have been on ativan for 10 years, and it doesnt help me much anymore. Was thinking of asking for either xanas or klonipen (sp). I know these meds are in the same family but was thinking maybe changing to another one would help. I am desperate for sleep. I have ambien but dont like it every night. You get used to it and it doesnt work anymore.
    So would appreciate any advice anyone has to give.

Thanks,
    Bonnie
  13. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

I agree. I always feel just a bit safer with one around.
    It helps, not all the time and not 100%, but definitely helps a bit with anxiety, sleep, headaches, irritability, etc.
  14. efaye

efaye New Member

some people do build up a tolerance to them.I take 0.5mg sometimes twice aday, although here lately I've had difficulty getting them.But what helps me with anxiety is the combination of zoloft 150mg.daily with xnax. I don't understand Drs. prescribing a sedative alone for anxiety.It just makes sense to me to add antidepressants like zoloft. I'm so glad you all are getting some help . efaye
  15. greatgran

greatgran Member

Haven't been on line in a couple days and was I surprised to see the replies and how xanax has helped some of you. Its good to hear the positive.

Tropical: Thank you for being so open about giving xanax to your pts. and not treat them as if they are addicts, like the treatment I recieved when I was in the hospital and how they treated my mother when she was dying in the nursing home and wanted her xanax. Oh, to this day it upsets me so.. So praise and thanks for realizing xanax is a good medicine.

Sassy: Great to hear xanax helps you and I can so relate to the addiction worries, until one day I said this medicine helps and to heck with all the negative.

Southerngirl: Yes, I can so relate to those weird, exhausted feelings. So happy to hear xanax is a good drug for you. Thanks for your input.

Elizabeth: So, sorry to hear you are having such a hard time, I wish I could tell you what to do about the ativan vs xanax. I do know it was better for me as I once tried ativan and it didn't help with the panic etc. like xanax. If you switch please let me know.

Sleepwalking: Xanax helps me sleep also, glad you have a doc that isn't in the negative and will prescribe them for you. That is one worry I have now is what if something happens to my doctor.

God Bless each of you and thanks for your replies,
    greatgran
  16. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sorry, I missed your post on the Chit-Chat board.

Thanks for your concerns about the family etc. will reply on the Chit-Chat about the latest.

Yes, xanax helps me sleep most of the time, there are always those nights that nothing works.

It wouldn't hurt to try a change if your doctor is ok with it. Klonopin is a good medicine but for some reason I felt to sedated with it, maybe the dose was to high so went back to xanax.

I tried ativan years back, it worked for awhile but then I started getting depressed, at that time had a good doc and he switched me to xanax , he said xanax atually helped some with depression. Since I just can't tolerate SSRI's.

Please keep me posted.

Till later, God Bless,
    greatgran
  17. greatgran

greatgran Member

Monica, yes they are good to have around what works for one of us doens't always work for the other, they help me with sleep also. Thanks for your relpy, God Bless,

Efay, I tried zoloft as well as many other SSRI's but for some reason I just can't tolerate antidepressants wish I could. I have seen so many helped with the zoloft, xanax combo. In fact I had such a bad weekend I tried a zoloft Sat. night but Sunday the weird head and dizziness was so bad I guess I will just stick with xanax.

God Bless,
    greatgran
  18. padre

padre New Member

Xanax is an important part of my drug support. Many people say it is addictive and therefore bad. My physicians agree with me that I am not addicted but dependent. I am like a diabetic who uses insulin. It helps me a great deal and I have not raised dose (sometimes just skip if I do not need it). I use it mostly for sleep, but it also helps me deal with pain.
  19. Debdelo

Debdelo New Member

What do you use for your pain?
    Thanks,
    Deb
    Just trying to get better.
  20. padre

padre New Member

debdelo...
    Not sure if that question was for me, but I will answer it. For pain I use celebrex, extra-strength Tylenol, and heat. I am limited in what I can take due to other meds. I have tried indocin, feldene, and other NSAIDs. I had stomach bleeding from them. I find that exercise and sleep work the best. For sleep: cocktail of elavil (20 mg.) one hour before bed, with xanax (.5 mg.), and klonopin (.25 mg.)at bedtime. I sleep 8 hours a night most of it ok.