Xanax or Ativan???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, May 10, 2006.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I know I'm always posting about my anxiety and terrible insomnia but we are now in the process of a difficult house move (which might go wrong for various reasons) and my husband has had a health scare and we don't get the results for another two weeks.

I am not coping AT ALL even though I use Ambien ( a lot of it) and Diazepam (a lot of that too) every day.

I see my doc next week and was hoping he could give me something stronger just for one month whilst all this is going on.

I have heard that both Ativan and Xanax are stronger ( I have tried Klonopin and unless I take mega doses get no effect) and wondered which would be best for helping my extreme anxiety whilst also helping me sleep - it takes alot of meds to get any sleep and I so need the escape at the moment.

Any suggestions very appreciated,

Love Bunchy x

PS Can I have a cyber hug please?...LOL
  2. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

Xanax helps me relax and doesn't give me the sedated feeling like other meds.

TxSongBird
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Bunchy:
    I use Ambien and Elavil and Klonopin for sleep. The three together seem to work well for me.

Get some rest!!!

nyrofan
  4. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I took ativan for a while. Yes, it helped me. I stopped taking it when I was switched to klonopin. I think I'd rather have the ativan.

God Bless.
  5. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

I can't neither, I was detoxed off both of them, it took weeks to withdrawl, it was horrible too. For me I got so addicted I had to be hospitalized to come off. They made me have to take more to get the effect, 1 didn't work then 2 didn't work and so on. Thats what happened to me, doesn't me it will happen to you....good luck sharon5650
  6. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I tried Ativan but had absolutely no effect from it. I was under the impression it is not as strong as Xanax. I've been taking 1 mg Xanax 3 times a day now for several years and it helps alot.
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I used to take xanax but it did nothing for me. Ativan works much better for me.
    ((()))
  8. CATHYRG

CATHYRG New Member

wjy not take valium its cheap, its also a muscle relaxant and a tranquilizer? cathy ps yes, its also addictive
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2006]
  9. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Can you all tell me what doses of each med you are taking?

Thanks again,

love Bunchy x
  10. Empower

Empower New Member

Everyone is different

I have taken (not at the same time)

Ativan
    Klonopin
    Xanax

The Ativan works fast, and leaves your body fast. I had problems with the "leaves your body fast" part. It made me loose my balance

The Klonopin works slower (about 2 hours to kick in) for me but made me really groggy the whole next day

Xanax worked fast, but made me very cranky

I understand the move thing - we went through it in March, and believe me, for someone with CFS and FMS, it is NOT an easy thing. You just have to force yourself to lay down every couple of hours

Good Luck
  11. Meghanne

Meghanne New Member

I've just switched to Klonopin wafers. Klonopin lasts longer, so you don't have the ups and downs, and being sublingual it absorbs faster than regular Klonopin.

Just my two cents. I've been much happier and even on it than Valium, Xanax, or Ativan.

Trish
  12. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I've been taking .5 mg. 3 x a day since 1997 to help relax my muscles from the FMS. It has worked fine.

I can go from 11 PM at night to after 11 AM in the day without it and be fine.

Hugs,
    Faye
  13. Scapper

Scapper New Member

So sorry to hear you're going through such a hard time.

I just wanted to let you know you're not alone with your relentless insomnia. I don't need to tell you how much not sleeping compromises our coping skills. Your poor nervous system needs a break!!

I've tried Xanax for sleep but I built up a tolerance very quick.

My body is so used to klonopin that it's like candy to my system. No sedation whatsoever. Again, I don't use it for anxiety, just for insomnia.

I'm not sure how these meds would work for daytime use for anxiety.

I tend to build up a tolerance to all benzodiazapines almost immediately. Please be careful how much of these drugs you wind up taking on a regular basis. Talk about sending your nerves on **edge** when you try to come off!

For now, I pray you find something to bring you some relief :)

scapper