XANAX RELIEF?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by desperation, Apr 2, 2003.

1. desperation

desperation New Member

Hi all,
    Does anyone feel physically better when they take the tranquilizer XANAX. When I seem to take it to help me sleep the next day my CF symptoms seem much better. I'm positive it's not psychological but perhaps calms down parts of the brain which induce pain, nmad nausea etc

Thankyou anyone who has replied to my ( many ) mails. I appreciate it so very much
    We are very strong individuals here
    Lu
  2. desperation

desperation New Member

Thanks for the response.
    What is Klanopin?
    Why is our central nervous system in disaray. Did it cause the Cf or is it a result of the CF?
    I'm so confused ( and tired, hurt, sick and sad)
    Love Lu
  3. desperation

desperation New Member

Hi
    isn't xanax meant to be terrible for us?
    Love lu
  4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I've taken xanax for about 20 years. A dot dose but it helps me tremendously. I'm type A hyper and this med calms me down. I have also tried Bach's Rescue Remedy at the health food store and this makes me feel relaxed too. I have cut down my xanax quite a bit, but will not go off of it. It does help my quality of life.
    Tania
  5. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

But my PM dr can't prescribe it because it doesn't have any pain relief elements so she gives me Klonipan which is sort of like it but it makes me sleepy.

Now, the Zanex really helps even my stomach when it is going crazy and making me miserable. I think my stomach gets as much anxiety as I do. Anyway, yes it sure helps me too.

Good Luck, HUGS......Pam
  6. JulieKathryn

JulieKathryn New Member

I have been taking Xanax for 2 years now. It is the only thing that helps the terrible dizzy spells I get. My problem is the Dr doesn't want to perscribe it...Again fear of addiction. I have tried Buspar, Waste of time if you ask me. Any one who is suffering from Nausia should try Tigan (perscription med). I swear by it, being a suffer of Migraines too this really helps!!
    Julie
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Xanax is the only reason I can walk unassisted. The brain damage from the accident that started my Fibro was so bad that muscle spasms along my spine would throw me over. Xanax gave me back my life. I've taken it for 17 yrs. now and I take less than when I started. It is more addictive than cocaine, so you must discipline yourself if you are going to take it. Because it relaxes muscles and makes you less anxious, it will help most of us. It does lower energy levels though, so I think it is a better drug for Fibro than for CFS.
    Klonopin is in the same family as Xanax but is stronger, and also has anti-seizure activity, which helps with the constant low-level seizure state we are in. If you can tolerate it, I believe it is the best drug out there for us. I could not take it.
    Our nervous systems become sympathetic dominant with these illnesses, which is why relaxant drugs help so much. If you want to learn more, read Dr. Cheney's article in the library at this site about Klonopin, and do a web search on dysautonomia, which is the condition affecting our nervous systems, and the cause of most of our symptoms.
    Klutzo
  8. lilwren

lilwren New Member

Hi Lu,

I have been trying for years to find out why! I keep asking the doctors and they won't discuss it with me. BUT I really want (need) to know because it makes me too drowsy during the day so I'm trying to figure out an alternative for daytime use.

I use xanax for my pain, tremors, muscle spasms, and sensory overload. It also gives me an appetite, which I don't usually get otherwise. It certainly does help with psych symptoms, but it helps ME with PHSYICAL symptoms MORE. I have been piecing together information on xanax to try to figure out why it works. I'd like to find a natural alternative, or fix what's broken.

love,
    Sharon L

Alprazolam (xanax) is an anti-anxiety agent, benzodiazepines. Used primarily for short-term relief of mild to moderate anxiety and nervous tension. Alprazolam is also effective in the treatment of activity depression or panic attacks. It can be useful in treating irritable bowel syndrome and anxiety due to a neurosis as well. Alprazolam may help the symptoms of PMS if extreme, some cancer pains if given with various narcotics, agoraphobia, essential tremor, and ringing ears.

It works by increasing the action of GABA. GABA (Gamma Amino Butyric Acid) is a powerful amino acid that has numerous health benefits:

Increases Human Growth Hormone (HGH) Levels
    Calms & Relaxes Your Mind and Body
    Dramatically Improves Sleep (Promotes R.E.M. Sleep)
    Stabilizes Blood Pressure
    Reduces Pain From Chronic Conditions Such As Arthritis & Lower Back Pain

GABA or gamma-aminobutyric acid, discovered in 1950, is the most important and widespread inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain. Excitation in the brain must be balanced with inhibition. Too much excitation can lead to restlessness, irritability, insomnia, and even seizures. GABA is able to induce relaxation, analgesia, and sleep. Barbiturates and benzodiazepines are known to stimulate GABA receptors, and hence induce relaxation. Several neurological disorders, such as epilepsy, sleep disorders, and Parkinson’s disease are affected by this neurotransmitter.

Do not use if you:
    had negative reactions to other benzodiazepines.
    have a history of drug dependence.
    have had a stroke.
    have multiple sclerosis.
    have Alzheimer's disease.
    are seriously depressed or if you have other brain disorders.
    have myasthenia gravis or acute narrow-angle glaucoma.
    are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
    are breast-feeding.
    under eighteen and only in small doses if over sixty with very close monitoring

[This Message was Edited on 04/05/2003]
  9. desperation

desperation New Member

Hi all,
    thanks for all the responses. I will go to my doc and ask him for any GABA substitutes. I have an excellent homeopathic doc and he'll probably know of something that mimics the GABA ( amino acid) . Look out for my name on the board and i'll let you know how it all goes.
    Thanks for all the info. I WILL find out why it makes us better....watch this space!
    (My e mail address Luwardlow@hotmail.com)
    Be strong,
    Lu
  10. marta

marta New Member

GABA is available at most health food stores as well as here at ProHealth. I wonder if this would do the same thing as Xanax which I know can be addictive if much is taken? Anyone know?

Thanks.

Marta
  11. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I posted above about how Xanax had saved my life. I also take the maximum dose of GABA, and have been doing so for years now. I take 750 mgs. twice a day. I belive this is one of the reasons why I have been able to keep from increasing my Xanax dose, even after all these years of taking it. However, GABA alone is not strong enough for me, and I think that's because it has trouble crossing the blood-brain barrier. On the other hand, drugs that increase GABA a great deal, like Neurontin, are too strong for me and turn me into a zombie. I like plain GABA because it does not have those nasty side-effects and is much, much cheaper (I do not have prescription coverage).
    Hope this answers your question,
    Klutzo
  12. lilwren

lilwren New Member

and it doesn't seem to have ANY affect on me. Is it effect or affect? Oh anyway, I will try a higher dosage of the GABA and see what happens. Okay I just went and got the bottle and it's only 100mgs - so maybe an increase will do the trick.

I sure am glad for this board. It helps me soooooo much! I know how bad it sucks that we are all sick with this DD but it sure is nice to have people to reach out to who understand. It's a godsend!

love,

Sharon L
  13. desperation

desperation New Member

Hi all,
    I really don't want to take xanax for the rest of my life either so I to will try GABA. I urge you all, however, to be prescribed..advised...buy..rreally top-notch stuff and not the stuff from supermarkets etc. The brands can be so different.
    I'll talk to my doc and let you all know.( I'm seeing him in one week.)
    Hope you are all having a good day today.
    lu x
  14. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Been taking Xanax once a day (0.25 milligrams) off and on for 15 years. Simply put,it stops my brain from racing, and when I am calm, the pain is less and so is the foggy feeling.

As someone else said, it will really help with the IBS pain in the stomach too. It relaxes the muscles very much.

I really have to disipline myself, I only take it more than once a day in an emergency, panic attack, IBS pain, or a stressful situation.

I can take half the .25 milligrams and get relief from the above. Its a fantastic drug, its ashame its addictive and hard to get prescribed too.

Will look into the GABA if it has a similar effect. Will do some research first though. I am soooo allergic to meds and even herbs and some vitamins too.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2003]