Xanax was causing my depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrstyedawg, May 23, 2006.

1. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

Just wanted to let those of you who replied to my post, that I took your advice went off the xanax and my depression went away. Now I need something to help me sleep.
  2. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Could you try a low dose of Elavil (Amitriptaline)? Some people only need 10 or 20 mg. to help with sleep and that is a low dose, also good for anxiety. Trazadone is suppose to be good for sleep as well, but I take Elavil for sleep. Glad you feel better off of the xanax.

Laura
  3. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

I took elavil years ago and it took away all of my sex drive. I am going to ask the dr. tommorrow for trazadone. Thanks

4. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

My husband has been seeing a quack psych dr. for at least 10 years.

He goes in talks 3 minutes and walks out with a script for xanax.

My soon to be X is bipolar but refuses to be on proper meds and counciling. He'd rather take xanax and drink beer at night.

I was told by a social worker and dr. that mixing the two together sends you into a downward spiral and should never be given to people with depression! I was told to sue for MY pain and suffering. Hmmm...
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Why not try 5-htp? It's an amino acid which naturally helps the brain produce more serotonin, without side effects of anti-depressants. It works very well for me. I would research trazodone and its side effects before trying it.

Other things that help me are: amino acid l-theanine, which helps the brain produce GABA; melatonin; calcium and magnesium.

I also recently started a homeopathic remedy called Nerve Tonic by Hyland's - the label says: "lack of certain inorganic mineral phosphates may cause nervous exhaustion, irritability and insomnia . . . these basic minerals are supplied in the recommended potency to restore normal balance to nerve cells." The bottle has 1000 tablets and the dose is 6 tablets (which dissolve very quickly) before each meal and bedtime. I think I'm sleeping sounder with it, and there are no side effects.

Good luck --

Mary
  6. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

and 5 HTP and Gaba have been used with success by
    some members here , and have the ADVANTAGE of not being drugs . I do not know how long it takes for them to
    become effective.

I have taken trazadone for several years , with NO side effects and no weight gain . My doc said that trazadone increases sex drive in some patients . I do not think it will be a negative on a woman's libido, but men may well have sexl side effects .
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

helps w/pain, muscle spasms and sleep...

jodie