Xanax-Who here has been taking it long term?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jan 21, 2007.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Just wondering who has been taking xanax for a long time/like years. From what I understand it is good for anxiety, social phobia,sleep, and P.T.S.D.

Those of you that take it for any of these reasons, how long have you been taking it? long term/short term?

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2007]
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I take three .5 mg. of Xanax per day now since 1997. I get them from my family doc. I found they help relax my muscles from the FMS I have.

I have not had to raise the amount I take in all those years. I can go from 11 PM at night to 11 AM in the morning without a Xanax and be fine. I like to stay up late and sleep late in the morning.

I'm happy my doc continues to give them to me.

Take care,
    Faye
  3. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

My mom has taken xanax for YEARS. I have taken it for yrs. but not constantly.But through trial and error, "I" have learned, I need it regularly.The Dr. who prescribed it for me has retired,so I have had alot of trouble getting it. My rhuematologist is helping now.When I don't take it I turn into a psycho "B",very angry,irritable,and EVERY little thing upsets me.(every little thing goes wrong too)
    And it does nto help that I am in pain constantly even with all my medications.
  4. yjswan

yjswan New Member

I took Xanax for anxiety for about 10 years at a pretty low dose. While on it, it worked well for me, helping me to get a good night's sleep and to stay relaxed during the day.

However, it is a tough drug to stop taking. Because it works immediately in relieving anxiety, it is very easy to become dependent on it, especially for sleep.

Obviously, I have mixed feelings about it and not all doctors are willing to keep you on it long term.

Hope this helps.
  5. michele3322

michele3322 New Member

I take 1mg every night.I have been on it to sleep for about 3yrs now. If I run out with in a day or so I start haveing panic attacks agian. This is something I have dealt with for many years now. I still have trouble sleeping but have tried eveything you can think of,with no help. So I have no problem with the fact I'm more than likely very dependant on it.
  6. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

I have CFS and have taken a small dose of Xanax each evening for about 9 years. I think it's the only drug other than Darvocet that has helped me live with this horrible disease. I take it for anxiety and sleep issues.

Harrysmom
  7. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I've taken it off and on for several years. I take it for sleep and anxiety. I currently take between .5 and 1 mg about 30 minutes before bedtime. It helps me fall asleep (usually) and it also has helped with some of my anxiety and OCD type behaviors.

I've had trouble sleeping since I was a teenager. It got to the point where I would lay awake for hours stressing over things and I couldn't sleep due to the anxiety and insomnia. It was a vicious cycle but Xanex has helped me cope with those issues. It doesn't dope me up like a sleeping pill would, so I can get up if my kids need me. I also don't feel sleepy when I wake up. It also helps to control my daytime anxiety even though I only take it at night.

My personal experience with it has been a positive one but it isn't for everyone, some can't tolerate it well and have bad effects. I tried a couple of other related meds before I tried Xanex and had bad reactions to them. It just depends on the person.

Sincerely
    JL

8. Vette

Vette New Member

Yes, I've been taking Xanax since 1989 for Anxiety / Panic Disorder. I have taken it PRN & routine and at various doses, never take more than my Rx says and 85% of the time it's much less. I weaned myself down (of my own accord) from four times a day, to bedtime and once a day prn. It can be very helpful.
    Peace! Vette
  9. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I took quite a bit in the mid 80s when my post traumatic stress reared its ugly head. I only took it when I was anxious and never got a buzz from it. I can't understand why anyone would take it as a street drug. I had no trouble at all tapering off and stopping it. I only used it for about 15 years after that for occasional panic attacks.

I take it now because I have periods of anxiety with the CFS, but mostly because it relaxes my muscles. I have some very painful trigger points in my pelvis. It works about as well as my narcotics on the pain, and I guess I'd rather be addicted to xanax than vicodin.
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

Thanks for all of your input about the long/short term use of it. Just wondering if there were some here that has had to be on it for a long period of time due to anxiety, nervousness, or P.T.S.D.

Kriket
  11. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I thought that life was great till the day I had my hyester and I had my first panic attack. As I was still in the hospital the nurse just pushed my pain ppump and told me that I was not going any where.

I had told her that I had to get the he** Out of there NOW> Instead she just made me sleep. But I was given xanax to take when I got out of the hospital. I had my hyesterectomy in March of 1990. I have been on xanax since April of the same year.

For most of the time I was on .5 mg 2x daily and I could take one more if I was having a panic attack. Then I started seeing my pain doctor who upped the doseage to 1 mg 2 x a day and that was 2 years ago.

I don't get sleepy or tired but it will relax me and help me to sleep. It works great when I do have the panic attacks . I don't have them as much now but when my pain levels get too high I start to have alot a of panic attacks.

I have tried to go off them but it is hard as I have been on them for close to 18 years. I was on Zoloft to help me ease off the xanax but that turned me into the wicked #itch of the west , north , east and south. I would bite heads off and ask questions later.

I was so mad at everyone all the time so I stopped taking it and said to the doctor that I am going to be on this for the rest of my life as I am not going to go thru countless antidepressants to try to find one that does not make me a wicked witch all the time.

I would rather not have panic attcks daily and be nicer to people than to try to find out what kind of medication will help me get off of the xanax.

I do fine taking the dose that I am on and I feel fine about it. Like I said I don't get all dozy and sleepy or can't think straight { Opps that is the fibro that makes me forget words in the middle of what I am saying.}
    May be some day I will be willing to try to get on a lower doseage but for now It it working and it does help me in more ways than just that panic attacks.

Thanks ,
    HUGS,
    Rosemarie
  12. Ernie5552

Ernie5552 New Member

I have been on xanax for 20+ years for severe panic attacks. To all who have been taking at least 2 mg a day, I have a news flash for you. If you ever want to get off xanax completely, be advised you Must wean off of it Very slowly. When I first started taking xanax for my panic attacks, I had the bad luck of being recommended to a doctor who turned out to be a pill peddling, uncaring lunatic. He started me on .25 mg a day but told me I could take them as needed. Either he didn't bother to research xanax, or just plain didn't care that xanax is one of the most addicting drugs in modern medicine. If you don't believe me do your own research. Do an online search for "xanax addiction" and be prepared for the shock of your life, especially if you are on a daily dosage of at least 2 mg or more. You will read real life testimonies of Heroin addicts who will tell you that to "kick" their heroin heroin addiction, many doctors or addiction clinics are using xanax to ease the horrible withdrawl symtoms from the heroin. But, there is only one problem with that method. By the time a heroin addict is "Clean" of his or her addiction, they have become addicted to the xanax. The posts I've read from former heroin addicts say that withdrawl from the xanax is worse than withdrawl from heroin. As I said earlier, in the begining this idiot of a doctor I had told me to take as needed. Well, in time I was up to 8 mg per day! Finally I found a doctor who specialized in anxiety and panic attacks, and when he found that I was taking 8 mg per day he was appalled! He admitted me to the hospital immediately to wean me down to a safe but effective dosage. I am taking 1 and a half mg per day and I am doing just fine, but even though they weaned me down slowly, it was Living Hell. The point I am trying to make here is to use extreme caution if your doctor prescribes xanax for you. Be advised, this drug can be helpful but it can also be Very Dangerous. If your doctor ups your dosage of xanax to any more than 2 mg per day, Be Concerned. There is a fine thin line between xanax going from being helpful to being Harmful. My advice to anyone who is prescribed Any medication is to Research the medicine yourself. You can do it online, or simply ask your pharmacist. Don't take chances. Get a second opinion if you have to. Doctors are only human, they can make mistakes like anyone else. I've been on xanax for about 22 years now and have seen the Helpful side, and I've seen the Dark side of it. Thank you for reading my post, and God bless.

Ernie5552
    [This Message was Edited on 01/28/2007]
  13. gongee

gongee New Member

I have been taking Xanax since 2001 for anxiety/panic disorder. I started out at a very small dose .25mg PRN but continued to having uncontrollable anxiety and panic attacks daily.

I now take 3 mg per day, but even at this dose when things are overwhelming or my fibromyaglia is raging, I have breakthrough periods of anxiety. I refuse to go up on the doseage even though I have my doctor's ok.

Am I dependent on Xanax? I would say "Yes, medically," but I do not believe I am addicted or ever will be. It is my goal to someday be Xanax free, but until that day comes, I thank God that there is something I can take to help me be able function in this life better than I had been.

14. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have been off and on xanax for about 20 years but the last 5 years have been on xanax every day, my rx calls for
    .05 three times a day but I cut them in half and take them 4 times a day works better for me..

I have found xanax to be a great drug for me..When I first started taking them it was for anxiety/panic and I took .25 four times a day for over two years and had no problems what so ever getting off them..

My life with panic and anxiety began about 20 or more years ago and would last for about 3 years, during that time I would take the xanax, then began to feel better and would no longer need them...

Now, that I have CFS they help me tolerate the misery and I am sure they help with the physical discomforts..So I feel I will probably be on them the rest of my life..Also I can not tolerate antidepressants and they seem to help with depression.

Yes, I think they help with PTSD.

I have nothing but good to say about the medicine, that is for me..I have talked with my doctor about long term use and she has no problems prescribing them for me..

God Bless,
    greatgran