Xanax Works As Well As Neurontin or Lyrica

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 24, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am not sure why but Xanax works as well for me as Neurontin or Lyrica without the side effects.

Xanax was given to me for anxiety, panic etc. I noticed how it helped with aches/pains, fatigue, sleep, ringing in ears, sensory overload and more.

I ask the pharm. he said the drugs were not alike but yet could have the same effect.

Anyone heard of this? I have CFS and Fibro .

2. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

I have not heard of this I did read though that is another drug that is gtting rady to be released for fibro.

I just now was given a rx for Neurontin I am on my second day of using it and am experiencing the side effects of dizzyness and sleeiness> am getting ready to post a topic about it right now.

I wanted to try Lyrica but my doctor would ot perscibe it for me.

so its nice to know thee may be something else I can try if the Neurontin does not work out.

hope you get more responces to this than jsut me I would be interested in knowing if anyone else had tried it.

3. greatgran

greatgran Member

4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

It works - the other types such as Lyrica and Neurontin don't do anything for me!

Love Bunchy x

PS I think they work in different ways so what works for one might not work for another etc
  5. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

Xanax is a terrific muscle relaxer and I take it along with Lyrica for my pelvic muscle pain.

My only concern is that it's a benzodiazapene, and we tend to build tolerance to them, requiring larger and larger doses. So far it hasn't been too much of a problem.
  6. poets

poets Member

Did your doctor say why he (she) wouldn't prescribe the Lyrica? Just wondering since I'm on it.

7. orchidee

orchidee New Member

Xanax is an anti-anxietypill.So, no anxiety reduces the stress and worrying and so give better sleep.
    It protects the brain in the same way klonopin does
    Worked in psychiatry and we gave a lot of xanax.
    Take it all my since I have ME;no problems so far.
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

My doctor did prescribe Lyrica but I just didn't like the side effects.

He had rather for me to take lyrica , since xanax is a benzo but the pharm said you had to taper off lyrica and up the dosage. Lyrica is a lot like Neurontin and I didn't like the side effects from either.

So, guess I will stick with the xanax.

9. Sunrise2780

Sunrise2780 New Member

I often refer to FM having a mind of it's own! You never know what *it's* going to do next!

Since there isn't any definite answer as to what med is going to give us relief, if something unexpectedly works, then great! Even if it's chewing gum (exaggerating a bit).

I'm glad it's helping you. I use Xanax for anxiety, but have been using it for many yrs as an "anti-spasmatic" for my myofascial muscle spasms, mostly my neck muscles.
  10. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

I'm thrilled the xanax is working for you!

Okay, here's the scoop. Lyrica is the new generation of Neurontin (like celexa is the new generation of lexapro). Lyrica went for FDA approval because it still has many years of its patent left and can sell it for exorbitant prices. Neurontin went generic a while ago as Gabapentin. If you have great insurance with no donut hole, Lyrica might be a great option (I haven't taken it). For those of us with a donut hole or no insurance, gabapentin (neurontin) is way cheaper and almost an identical medication.

Lyrica/Neurontin can be taken with pain meds, benzos, and many other drugs. Read their websites for drug containdications. It's like taking Tylenol and Advil together--they do different things and are not contraindicated.

I like what someone posted about different drugs working differently on each individual. That's one of the most prevalent problems with CFS/FMS and sometimes I forget that, so thanks to the poster who reminded me!

Hope this helped,
  11. 2_TiReD

2_TiReD New Member

I have found that xanax works better than anything else that has been tried on me, the human guinea pig. :)

After going through all of the side effects and counter-effects of the SSRIs, SNRIs, tricyclics, and other benzos ( valium, klonopin, etc.), I have found xanax to be the most effective medication, with the least amount of side effects. At least for me. I have Ehlers-Danlos, CFS, FM and degenerative disc issues in my lower back.

I guess the fact that xanax is a benzodiazepam does not bother me at this point; after being on so many other medications that the pharmaceutical companies don't have a clue as to what they do in the brain, I am okay with the lengthy database of information we have with xanax.
    Even taking medications such as zoloft for a period of time can cause tolerance and I think that most medications do the same, especially those that affect the ever-changeable human brain.

12. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

It had the *opposite* effect on me, and made me want to hurt people badly. (I won't say kill, but close, mostly) HATED it, and would never take it again.

13. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

I use xanax for my muscle jerking. I will try it tomorrow for pain. Wouldn't it be great if it worked.
  14. padre

padre New Member

We all seem worried that we will get "hooked" on benzos like Xanax, Valium and Klonopin. It is not my experience. I depend on Xanax to help me with anxiety and for sleep. I have used it for years and still have not increased the dose.

If I were diabetic and was dependent on insulin I would feel no differently. It works. It gives me quality of life. I have tried all sorts of other things and come back to Xanax.

It is Willy Sutton's law -- he was asked why he robbed banks and he said, "That's where they keep the money." In other words, if it works don't mess with it.
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

everybody's different!

I tried Xanax, it worked to help me sleep, but it didn't feel restful. I tried Klonopin, but it gave me eye twitches after 6 months altho it did help me to get restful sleep.

Valium on the other hand works beautifully, altho I only take it about 1-2X/week... because it not only knocks me out, it totally relaxes my spasmed neck/shoulder! --I get very bad almost-daily sinus headaches, so all my muscles in my neck/shoulder spasm due to the unrelenting pain after a while.

I don't consider myself physically dependent (my preferred term) at all, since I take it like that... and if I have no pain, I don't even think about it. For sleep I use unisom (doxalymine succinate kind) plus melatonin, since the unisom is a long acting antihistamine that helps prevent sinus headaches from awakening me.

however, I've been taking Valium like this for about 4 years, and my tolerance HAS increased, from 2.5 to 15 mg. Which on the scale of 'things', isn't very much.

[This Message was Edited on 02/25/2008]
  16. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank each of you for your replies. We are all different and what works for one may not the other but for me xanax has helped.

I still have my aches, pains etc. xanax doesn't completely take it all away but makes life bearable, well, almost.

Maybe one day there will be an answer.

God Bless,
  17. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

This sounds ideal for me - better sleep, unspasming muscles as and when needed etc.

Currently on a cocktail of lots of Z drugs and soma with a touch of klonopin not every day which is very confusing and would like to combine into one stronger one eg Xanax.

Not sure if this is available in the UK though and scared to ask my doctor.

Love Bunchy x
  18. LaQuiet

LaQuiet New Member

I don't take Xanax but I do take Valium which is another benzo and it works wonders for my myofascial pain. Keeps me relaxed also while on Adderal for exhaustion. I also take neurontin at bedtime. I suffer from ME/CFS.

[ advertisement ]