Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 4, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

After 10 years on 1/4 mg of xanax I will be increasing my dose to 1/2 mg. three times a day and another at bedtime if needed.. Since I haven't found an antidepressant I can tolerate this is what my doc suggested for now.. I will be having another thyroid blood test, since my hair analysis indicated a thyroid problem. Until then to help keep my anxiety etc. at bay . I took my first dose of 1/2 mg last night and slept better so we shall see..

Wanting to cut back instead of going up but my anxiety is sooooo bad.. Got to get it under control..

How many of you take xanax? If so how much..
  2. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i take .25mgs of xanax at bedtime and usually in the morning since i didn't sleep most of the night and i still want to try to sleep.....i can take the one at night and the other one anytime of day i need it, or sometimes i don'ttake it at all....

i don't know how that compares with your dose...is it the same?

i take one if i leave the house....i get anxious when i am around groups of ppl...lots of talking or noise....

i can barely feel a difference when i take it....
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

.25mgs is what I was taking and they got till they weren't doing as good, which that is what happens .. Your body gets use to them and it takes more. Now I am taking 1/2 mg which is like taking two of what you take. I have to take one when I leave the house and when I feel so weird in the head.. Wish I could get off them but until I find something else I am not ready and don't guess I ever will be.. I tried klonopin but for some reason it was too sedating and didn't do as well for my panic as xanax.

Good luck I think its a good medicine with a bad reputation..

4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

still taking the xanax too, until i can get a hold of my anxiety about being sick and not having a life, i'll keep taking them.

the doc prescribed me .5 mg 3x per day, but i usually take half of that unless im having a really bad time of it.
    yes your body does get used to a dose and then you either have to go up or take something else. i chose to go from .25mg to .5mg.i figured if it helps i might as well stay on them and not wean off to try yet another anxiety drug.

one thing thats natural that helps some is L theanine, when i take it i can skip a dose of xanax sometimes two.

i think it's a good med with a bad rep too!

5. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

looks like your getting a tolerence to xanax, maybe ask your doc if u can switch to an equivilant dose of valium for a few months and then switch back to xanax at your original dose and u might find it working again. to avoid tolerance in the future u may need to keep switching between different meds.

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

greatgran - I recently bought a meditation CD from eocinstitute.org - it just has the sounds of rain falling (which is very peaceful) and also is supposed to affect your brain waves, bringing you to a calmer place. I think it works. They have 3 CDs, I bought the middle one. You might give this a try as an adjunct to xanax. Meditation is really helpful for anxiety, and this CD really helps me.

also, someone else suggested l-theanine - have you ever tried this? It is very relaxing, helps the brain produce alpha waves - again, it may help you keep from having to up your xanax or even replace it sometimes.

I know very little about these meds, but it does sound like perhaps you should talk to your doctor, as others suggested, about switching meds for awhile because of the tolerance you have built up.

7. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

mbofov has a good point, maybe instead of increasing dose of xanax had a herbal calming supplement, maybe if u find the right one can even lower the dose of xanax, i have found kava extract good for helping to feel calm.

8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I can't tolerate prescription anti-depressants either. But, I have no problem with 5-htp (an amino acid) which helps the brain produce serotonin, which is the point of many prescription ADs.

I've been taking 5-htp for several years now with no bad side effects, except for the first week I took it, it gave me a moderate headache. However, after a week it stopped and I've been fine ever since. It was helping me with sleep so much that I stuck it out and am glad I did.

l-tryptophan is also very good for sleep and raising serotonin levels.

I'm currently taking 150 mg. of 5-htp about an hour before I go to bed, together with 3 mg. of melatonin, 100 mg. of l-theanine. It's all very relaxing.

If you want to try 5-htp, I suggest starting with 50 mg. for several days to see how you do and then maybe increase to 100 mg. or 150.

Anyways, there are alternatives to just taking more xanax, which you know can't be good.

Take care -

9. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

.25 mg or .5 mg 3 times a day are the standard starting doses for Xanax. You were taking a very minimal dose. I take .25 mg 3 times a day and .5 mg at bedtime. I get .5 mg tablets and break them in half because that is cheaper. I also drink one of several herbal relaxing teas at bedtime and have a delta-wave sleep CD.

I quite agree that Xanax is a good drug with a bad rep (which seems to have developed once the patent expired). I also think the tolerance issue is greatly exaggerated. I have been on the same dose for several years. I had one friend who was on the same dose for over 10 years.

Do not take Kava on a regular basis. It can damage the kidneys or liver (I forget which).
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

LittleBluestem, your does is exactly what I am taking now.. Have been on .25 mg. 3 to 4 times a day for years and never increased until now and the only increase is at bedtime. Last night didn't even do that.

I will probably be on them from now on or unless I get a doc that won't prescribe them. At my age all my docs are retiring.. and the newer ones don't get it.

Yep , good drug a bad rep.. because of the street use..

11. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your reply.. Guess after 10 or more yrs may or may not be getting a tolerance . I think my darn dd is getting worse.. I can't take valium, tried one once and man I was in a weird way.. didn't like the horrible feeling but maybe the dose was to high.. Its been so long I don't remember. It is so hard for you to get a doc to work with you switching benzos .. I did try klonopin it was to sedating.. Have tried many supplements and antidepressants but just couldn't take them.. Xanax has been a good drug for me we are all different..

Thank you it is a good suggestion and works for many.
  12. goneee

goneee New Member

Hey Greatgran

I too take Xanax and have been for 9 years. My dose in my opinion is quite high. .75 mg 5 times a day and I can add in .25 to .50 mg if needed. The have talked at length with my psychiatrist about my dosage, but I do trust her throughly and with panic disorder along with anxiety, it is the only thing that has helped me be able to live an emotional stable life. So, with that said, I just thank God it is being prescribed for me. I couldn't tolerate any of the antidepressents but this has been my saving grace. So if I have to stay on it to the day I die, so be it.

I also started out at a very small dose .25 mg per day, but that did nothing for me.

Good luck and take care,

13. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I think it makes sense to take more at bedtime because you want the nervous system to be more down-regulated during the night so that you can sleep. My physician said that I could take .75 mg at bedtime, but I thought that was making it more difficult for me to wake up in the morning.