Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Mar 15, 2012.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

How many find xanax helpful to put up with symptoms of cfs/fm etc? it has been a good drug.. Have used it for years and never had to up my dose unless in a bad crash.. My new doc doesn't like xanax , my other doc moved and how I hate to feel like a junkie over 1/2 mg x 3 daily if needed..

2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

You know my take on Xanax. My little half to one whole .5 xanax per day keeps my anxiety down, and makes living with a horrible chronic disease I can't change somewhat bearable.
    My current fibro/cfs dr. Can't offer me any relief from the disease, at least she can offer something for my sanity.
  3. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

Isn't the most important consideration when forming a relationship with a new Dr. communication? If your new doc won't consider your needs and what has worked for you for years, I'd shop for a new doc! In the meantime, maybe contact your former doc and ask for a refill to hold you over until to buy you some time.
  4. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Ive taken xanax for at least 10 years and have never had any problems with it. i used to take 4 times daily .5 mg but have cut that down to only twice daily but sometimes up the dose if im having a real bad day as far as pain,anxiety.I just chew the pill and it works fairly quickly to stop an anxiety attack from turning into a full blown panic. I have no plans on stopping it. Its one drug that my medicare plan wont cover but I get generic so its not that bad. Blessings to all
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2012]
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each for your replies.. Xanax has been a good drug for me in many ways so no plans to stop.. I am sure the new doctor and I will work it out.. In fact the LLMD I was seeing wanted to increas my dosage..

6. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

greatgran, Im like you as far as xanax is concerned,never have had any problems and it helps and how many times can you say that about a drug?? i had a Dr. like your new one that said"thats a horrible addictive drug you dont want to be on that and tried to take me off" I ended up in the ER with a horrible panic attack.He put me right back on it and never said anything again. I flat dont care if its addictive ,it helps me deal with panic disorder,highb/p(as it goes sky high during increased anxiety), also think it helps with dealing with all the crazy symptoms of severe fibromyalgia,myofascial syndrome , and also helps my sleep so if I'm wrong for liking this drug......then I'm just wrong. I will take it as long as I feel I need it.God Bless
  7. MsE

MsE New Member

You know me, Greatgran! I wouldn't manage without a bit of lorazepam daily. Lorazepam (Ativan) is xanax's cousin. Or, perhaps the relationship is even closer. All I know is that since my mastectomy and the neuropathy that has come along with it (dang!) I think I would go nuts without one pill in the evening and, usually, at least 1/2 in the AM. AND, if life is particularly stressful on any given day, I'm not above taking a whole one in the AM, too. This is still less than the doc prescribed after the surgery and neuropathy. My prescription is the l mg.

I tried cutting back to just 1/2 table 2 times a day and that worked until my sister died. Then, all the stress that came along with that, was making it very difficult to function, so I went back to 1 tablet twice a day.

My philosophy at age 77: Whatever works! Mrs. E.
  8. emah

emah Member

I went off of my xanax AMA becaue the doctor wanted an additional $50 because I missed an appointment for the first time in two years. I could not afford it. Getting off of that was one of the worst thing I have experienced.

That being said, it is good to hear the responses on using it because I definitely need to get back on it. I am nervous daily and have these mini panic attacks on a daily basis. I wanted to be ok without them but I was doing much better when I was on them. I didn't want to be that 'drug addict'.

I feel encouraged by these posts. Thanx
  9. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Xanax is the only drug my rehumy is ok for me to take permently. I started taking it when I had my hyesterectomy some 22 yrs ago, and have been on it since then. I had to up the dosage several years ago after being put on some med that was to help my fibro only made me flare and panic worse. So my doctor uped it from 1mg once daily to 2 mg's once at night.
    I have not had any problems with it and I have not had a bad panic attack in a long time{ Knock on wood}

Have you tried to talk to your new doctor and explain to him that this medication works for you very well. So it seems if some meds work don't change them. You know the old saying ' If is aint broke don't fix it" I know that it is not the correct medical terminlogy{sp} but I would talk to him and explain to him that this works well for you that you have not had to increase the dosage while you have been on it. And if that does not work try another doctor, I know that is easier said than done.

I hope that it works out for you, Your in my prayers.
    Rest easy and sleep well.
  10. MsE

MsE New Member

Your post made me laugh. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is exactly what my doctor said when I suggested maybe I should switch from lorazepam to Xanax. He said they were, except for the length of time they stayed in the system, the same and to just be glad we had found something that made me feel better. He said that one of the doctors he worked under when he was just beginning his career, had told him that adage, and he has stayed with it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Thanks for the morning laugh.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I would hate to have to change a drug which has worked so well. As you know, I take Klonopin, which is also in the Benzo family. Some docs do not understand these drugs and are afraid to prescribe them. If it were me, I'd make the case for staying on them. You are not developing a tolerance to the Xanax and it helps you. How can any doc not appreciate that? Benzos got a bad rap because of overprescribing of Vallium years ago. Medicare won't pay for Benzos. We are not like normal patients; our needs are special and specific at times. Changing our meds can throw us into relapse and cause all kinds of other problems. Does this doc really want to chance that?

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie