XMRV: 500 More Blood Samples From London

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jasminetee, Oct 11, 2009.

1. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

This is really incredible:

"The senior author of the study, Judy Mikovits, director of research at the Whittemore Peterson Institute in Reno, Nevada, said further blood tests have revealed that more than 95 per cent of patients with the syndrome have antibodies to the virus – indicating they have been infected with XMRV, which can lie dormant within a patient's DNA. "With those numbers, I would say,

yes we've found the cause of chronic fatigue syndrome.

We also have data showing that the virus attacks the human immune system," said Dr Mikovits. She is testing a further 500 blood samples gathered from chronic fatigue patients diagnosed in London. "The same percentages are holding up," she said."

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

What about healthy controls, though? I want to know that this is just us and not another "EBV everyone has it" thing.
  3. zeowa

zeowa New Member

Since I wondered about the degree of accuracy (not of the institute or research staff/docs) of just over 100 samples from Nevada. They had such a specific onset that I have wondered how the rest of the country/world would compare.

I agree that it's a very bold statement. All I can hope is that my ears are not used to CFS markers, causes, and tests being spoken about with authority by people who've been involved with serious gov't and private research. Watching a youtube video from March with Mikovits, it was interesting to hear her refer to the blood test to find CFIDS/CFS/ME as a "cytokine and chemokine" test. I hope that this is being pursued as well since it seems like a very good indicator of serious immune dysfunction/activation rather than just being pos/neg for XMRV.

I have my fingers crossed that a panel including these, and many other, tests will make up the "test kit" for CFS!
  4. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

This may be a dumb question but has anyone heard when the general public will be able to get a blood test? I know it is early but how much longer do we have to wait?

5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

This is the YouTube video that Luminescent uploaded last April that zeowa is talking about. They don't mention XMRV of course but you get to see Judy A. Mikovits, PhD, Director of Research and
    Annette Whittemore, Founder and President of WPI talk about CFS:

LOL Sorekitty, I know! It's been days already!

[This Message was Edited on 10/12/2009]
  6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

If testing turns out not to be too expensive I hope many of us will also order tests for our family members and maybe even some friends and/or other people.

I'm praying that the test can get out quickly to people in other countries besides the U.S. as well.

7. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

The strong link and all the talk of cause is because they already know that healthy people only show it at 4%. (I don't know if this 4% showed active virus or just antibodies)

8. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Well, the WPI said at first that XMRV was positive in only 67% of CFS patients and 4% of healthy controls.

Later they said they retested for antibodies and the amount of positive tests were 95% of PWC. Maddeningly, they have never again mentioned whether they retested the healthy controls for antibodies.

They haven't answered my question about this when I emailed them. They just sent me a generic letter regarding test kits for us.